Will the E4GLTE receive the Sense 5 upgrade???

zakphi

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Will the E4GLTE receive the Sense 5 upgrade

since we got JB before the one x, i think there is a high probability that we will get sense 5.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

I think yes, definitely from xda probably officially. There's no reason we can't run it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Figured I'd get in on this one early. While there's reason to believe we'll get the upgrade based on history, I've got to wonder if it will actually happen. Here's why...Sprint will soon be discontinuing the EVO 4G LTE now that the HTC One is out. HTC is starving for customers, so they'll definitely do the work and develop the upgrade for One Series phones, but does Sprint really have any incentive to upgrade a phone that's a year old? I don't think so. Remember the original EVO? They quit upgrading that phone after 16 - 18 months. If they do upgrade to (parts) of Sense 5, it will probably be the last update for the EVO.

Personally, I'd much rather see the update to 4.2.2 (or dare I say, Key Lime Pie) than another iteration of Sense. I can't believe that the new homescreen in Sense 5 does much more that chew up the battery life. I'm willing to try it out, but at this point, I'm not going to lose any sleep over being passed over for a Sense update.

I love my EVO but I'm afraid it's the last non-Nexus phone that I'll buy. Vanilla Android (and the regular updates) is far higher on my list of cool and fun stuff to play with. It would be friggin awesome if the next Nexus was built by HTC, but I don't see that happening.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

Surprise surprise HTC treats the Evo LTE like the redheaded step child yet again in another press release lol.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Surprise surprise HTC treats the Evo LTE like the redheaded step child yet again in another press release lol.

I'm assuming you're referring to the release where they talk about all the different one series phones that will get "a version" of sense 5 and fail yet again to acknowledge the evo exists... Obviously I don't think anyone here will be shocked but it seems like if the One X gets an update then the evo will get it as well so I would take it overall as a good sign

Edit: Nvm the first part of that, I didn't realize the 1st post was from today and had a link to that story. My bad

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I love my EVO but I'm afraid it's the last non-Nexus phone that I'll buy. Vanilla Android (and the regular updates) is far higher on my list of cool and fun stuff to play with. It would be friggin awesome if the next Nexus was built by HTC, but I don't see that happening.

I'm not calling you a liar or anything but I think a lot of people say that after they've had their phone for a while but when phones carriers put out their flagship phones and you compare the specs and style to the nexus it's hard to follow through. Biting the bullet and taking a smaller screen and no SD card slot among other things is a deal breaker for a lot of people (myself included)

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm assuming you're referring to the release where they talk about all the different one series phones that will get "a version" of sense 5 and fail yet again to acknowledge the evo exists... Obviously I don't think anyone here will be shocked but it seems like if the One X gets an update then the evo will get it as well so I would take it overall as a good sign

Edit: Nvm the first part of that, I didn't realize the 1st post was from today and had a link to that story. My bad

Yeah that's what I was referring to. I wouldn't be surprised if we do get it. I also wouldn't be surprised if HTC reps will claim top secrecy on whether we will get it when people start sending them emails questioning if we will get it or not. Much like the JB update.....no confirmation or denial.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Yeah that's what I was referring to. I wouldn't be surprised if we do get it. I also wouldn't be surprised if HTC reps will claim top secrecy on whether we will get it when people start sending them emails questioning if we will get it or not. Much like the JB update.....no confirmation or denial.

If one of them hasn't already accidently told some one that the update is out already...

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

We will get it. Anyone who suggests anything different shouldn't be listened to. There is absolutely no reason to suspect that because Sprint has decided to help HTC by dropping it's EVO line means it will for some silly reason stop supporting the EVO line all together. We're close to 3 years after the first Evo and they still support that with security updates (one within the last week). I am sure HTC will support the device and I am sure Sprint will push the update.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

Don't you think it is a bit premature to make such a statement? Can you read the future?

Yes, there is a possibility that we will be skipped, but that is certainly not certain.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

They never acknowledge the Evo in press announcements about the One series, actually I've never seen a development related press release about the Evo LTE at all. As we know from the updates the One X and the Evo have both gotten, if it goes to the One X it also tends to go to the Evo.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Figured I'd get in on this one early. While there's reason to believe we'll get the upgrade based on history, I've got to wonder if it will actually happen. Here's why...Sprint will soon be discontinuing the EVO 4G LTE now that the HTC One is out. HTC is starving for customers, so they'll definitely do the work and develop the upgrade for One Series phones, but does Sprint really have any incentive to upgrade a phone that's a year old? I don't think so. Remember the original EVO? They quit upgrading that phone after 16 - 18 months. If they do upgrade to (parts) of Sense 5, it will probably be the last update for the EVO.

Personally, I'd much rather see the update to 4.2.2 (or dare I say, Key Lime Pie) than another iteration of Sense. I can't believe that the new homescreen in Sense 5 does much more that chew up the battery life. I'm willing to try it out, but at this point, I'm not going to lose any sleep over being passed over for a Sense update.

Well for the OG Evo it did get 2.3, and it continues to get security updates. I think part of the lack of ICS was simply because it wasn't able to run it all that well. It ran laggier than any 2.3 builds did on it, and if something won't run smpothly they don't update to it. In addition the Evo LTE isn't even 12 months old yet. I'm not saying they'll abide by the 18 months of timely updates after release thing, but we have a good long time left for updates before we have to worry.

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

The new HTC One, the Nexus 4, etc. all have removed the SD card. They have added up to 64Gb of onboard memory. In my mind, I think this is a better alternative than an SD card. As for the smaller screen, it's a small sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to get the latest and greatest OS upgrade as soon as possible. I have a Nexus 7 and fully expect to get Key Lime Pie within a couple of weeks of it's release. The EVO may or may not ever get it. It took 6 months to get 4.1 and we're already on 4.2.2. Either way, as much as I like HTC hardware, I'm becoming less and less enchanted with thier software. HTC, Samsung, (et al.) are all pushing farther and farther away from Vanilla Android to make thier "experience" better. Sorry, I don't see much of an improvement over Vanilla.