HTC Sense 5 has been ported over to the HTC EVO 4G LTE, and the first public beta has been released

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Source: Pocketables

" HTC Sense 5 has been ported over to the HTC EVO 4G LTE, and the first public beta has been released to the public.

There are reportedly a few bugs being beaten to death for the next release, and right now the focus, according to the development thread, is more on development than supporting a public user base. But still, a public beta is now available if you?re interested in seeing what it looks like.

There have been various leaks recently pointing to the EVO 4G LTE being on the short list to get Sense 5, but it looks like it?ll be completely here for rooted users very soon.

It should be noted that the gallery and Bluetooth don?t function correctly, and there are some sizing issues with a few things that stem from the HTC ONE M7 base image that?s being used. I would expect those to be ironed out fairly quickly after the important things are rock solid.

Unfortunately I can?t flash anything on my phone that could take it down for any amount of time for the next couple of weeks, so I?m stuck oooohing and ahhhhing at pictures and reports of the preliminary HTC Sense 5 fabulousness.

If you?re planning on trying this out, don?t expect a daily driver (although many have reported it?s quite capable), and don?t pester the developers too much on what works and what doesn?t. It?s a huge project and it?s here a lot sooner than I would have expected.

As for HTC Sense 5, it looks like quite a step in the right direction. I?ll be extremely interested to see what the end-result resource footprint of the thing ends up being in comparison to the mighty hog that Sense 4 has been.

If you give it a try, let us know how it works for you."

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have used that rom. I really like it and I'm now a big fan of blinkfeed. They have a mod that allows you to use other sources besides the ones HTC provides. It is daily driver worthy in its current state and only getting better with every release. He's right about not making request. Head over and check it out.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
It is definitely a daily driver if you want it to be. I installed it last night and it is a great piece of work. It's been noted, but BlinkFeed is way better than I thought it was going to be. I take the bus into work for a half hour and was just browsing BlinkFeed posts. Android Central has ways of being on there, as well as many other news sources. I also installed Swapps to get quicker access to my apps. I have found that it's a pain to move apps to the Home Screen. Now I only use BlinkFeed and Swapps and I'm quickly falling in love with Sense 5. If you are going to do this, make sure Swapps is on the left - otherwise you will be annoyed to no end when you switch home screens instead of opening Swapps.

I also experienced better battery life on the bus today. Just one day - so don't take it as gospel, but I only drained about half of what I would have expected to on Mean Bean. It surprised me because usually it takes a rom a while to get to its normal battery life.

Did I mention it's smooth? Because it is. Just like butter.

I don't know how I missed it, but if you sign into Facebook and Twitter in the accounts, those get thrown into your BlinkFeed as well. This makes me incredibly excited for the One.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I loaded this up last night as well, expecting to give it a quick look and revert back to CM10.1. I'm still running it today - I like it that much.

Sense 5 is a HUGE step up from Sense 4+, as far as smoothness and overall refinement go. Gone are cheesy over-the-top animations and overwrought widgets. Everything is simple, crisp, and professional-looking. If you disliked Sense previously because you felt that it weighed the phone down, those days are gone. I'll be another to say just how smooth everything is. I thought it might be a function of the One's hardware in the video demos, but the fact that it runs so well on our hardware tells you how much the actual OS performance has improved. It makes an overclocked and tweaked MeanROM feel dated and clunky. It's that good.

I had reservations about BlinkFeed - no more. Given a little more ability to be customized, it will easily replace any other readers you might use (Pulse, Flipboard, etc..). The one thing that would make it perfect, IMHO, would be Reddit support (front page at the very least, ability to bring in your subscribed subReddits would be nirvana).

The only thing that gives me pause with this particular port right now is that GPS isn't working yet. Other issues include BT, and I don't think the Sense 5 Gallery is fully functional (camera works fine, zoes and the fancy highlights aren't functional yet).

This will probably completely replace CM as my daily once it's fully functional.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I plan on checking it out once they get the bluetooth issues ironed out. Hell I bet they get this port running better than HTC will be able to get the official release to.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I also installed Swapps to get quicker access to my apps. I have found that it's a pain to move apps to the Home Screen. Now I only use BlinkFeed and Swapps and I'm quickly falling in love with Sense 5. If you are going to do this, make sure Swapps is on the left - otherwise you will be annoyed to no end when you switch home screens instead of opening Swapps.

On your suggestion, I installed Swapps myself. I now get my news/FB/Twitter from BlinkFeed, the clock/weather widget is still there, the dock is still there, and I've pinned my other most-used apps to the top of Swapps. Then I set up the custom app drawer with folders that would have normally gone on one of the homescreen panels. Google Now accessed with long-press home button, and I use Power Toggles to get toggles in the notification shade. The one home-screen panel is now completely blank.

So far this setup has been pretty efficient for the vast majority of my day-to-day use. I'm going to experiment/tweak with this for a few more days before I pass judgement, because it is a radical change from the traditional multi-home panel/widget/shortcut/folder setup that most people use.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I just flashed it tonight, first impressions after I got past the standard 5 minutes of lagging after clean flashing something are absolutely fantastic. Everything is incredibly fast and visually I think it's a huge improvement. If anyone has any questions about it, free time permitting I'll be shooting a first look video, I'll include anything you guys want.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
On your suggestion, I installed Swapps myself. I now get my news/FB/Twitter from BlinkFeed, the clock/weather widget is still there, the dock is still there, and I've pinned my other most-used apps to the top of Swapps. Then I set up the custom app drawer with folders that would have normally gone on one of the homescreen panels. Google Now accessed with long-press home button, and I use Power Toggles to get toggles in the notification shade. The one home-screen panel is now completely blank.

So far this setup has been pretty efficient for the vast majority of my day-to-day use. I'm going to experiment/tweak with this for a few more days before I pass judgement, because it is a radical change from the traditional multi-home panel/widget/shortcut/folder setup that most people use.

Yeah, I really don't use the traditional homescreen anymore. I have google's notes app widget for jotting down quick ideas, but otherwise I don't even flip that way.

Hammer9274

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I just flashed it tonight, first impressions after I got past the standard 5 minutes of lagging after clean flashing something are absolutely fantastic. Everything is incredibly fast and visually I think it's a huge improvement. If anyone has any questions about it, free time permitting I'll be shooting a first look video, I'll include anything you guys want.

Kronosqq, let me know where to watch the video when you get it posted, please.

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
How did you get Android Central in blinkfeed?
I have to switch back and forth between Cm10 and sense5 port for now because I need blue tooth for music at work.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
How did you get Android Central in blinkfeed?
I have to switch back and forth between Cm10 and sense5 port for now because I need blue tooth for music at work.

The way Android Central is on blinkfeed is through their "Mobile Technology" feed. It seems everything from AC gets pushed there and links to Android Central if you want. I have been quite happy with it.

And yeah - I don't need bluetooth so I can use it. I'm also noticing it takes pictures and squishes them. I just have to make sure I don't go to any important family events or something.

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded R77(haven't flashed it yet) and I think they fixed they picture issue. I will flash it when I get off and nand back in the morning. I really like the sense 5 rom and waiting for blue tooth.

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Sense 5..... HTC You're Doing it Right, this is actually just as smooth if not smoother then any AOSP rom i've played with and im a flashaholic the only itch i have is it seems not to read the External SD

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Sense 5..... HTC You're Doing it Right, this is actually just as smooth if not smoother then any AOSP rom i've played with and im a flashaholic the only itch i have is it seems not to read the External SD

Weird. I haven't had any problems with it reading my SD card, and I haven't seen any reports of anyone else having issues with it.

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This sense 5 is really nice! It's so smooth that you would think it was made for the evo. Those developers are extremely talented. I am torn between Kushdeck Cm10.1 and sense 5. I need Bluetooth so I switch back to decks for work. If you haven't tried sense 5 , this is a great reason to root. They also have a lot of rom modes for this already. Stop by the sense5 discussion thread and check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke