New Google Services killing battery life

DOSirl

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
This started for me on my Galaxy Nexus month ago, and somehow sorted itself out.
I now have an S4 and if I leave Location reporting on (like Latitude), it uses up waaaaayyyy too much battery, but over the last couple of days I've noticed that "Google Services" is using more than the screen if I'm not using the phone much. I'll try the rebooting "fix" now to see if it sorts it, and will try the GPS "fix" if rebooting doesn't.
What a pain in the a**. You'd think that by now Google would have it sorted.

andygray

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I found a solution that worked for me.

I tested it with gsam battery monitor and after I did this change the "google services" processes went waaaay down in the list of things consuming battery while idle.

I loaded the new Google Maps app, then under "Settings >> Google location settings" I turned OFF the option called "Location reporting" (but left everything else default, which is "on").

I'm not sure what stops working if I do this, but at least my battery life is a bit better. Does anyone know what stops working when I turn this option off?

amoretti76

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes. That fixed it for me.
Open Google Maps -> Google location Settings
Turn Off "Location Reporting".

P.S. I have HTC One X. I guess Google started to collect all this data because of their purchase of Waze and now it's killing the battery and affecting everyone.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I have had this problem just recently. I am not sure if it was due to the update. But some days Google Services is at 55-58%. Today it is at 26%. I am not sure if its due to using certain apps, or when I go in the hills hiking, so the phone works more to connect. Under "Location Settings" I have Access location checked, but location reporting and location history -Off.
I had a problem for a few days, then it was ok, the yesterday it was back. It seems to use alot of power when the phone is off and screen dark. Thank you.

Wojciech Banas

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
My "Google Play services" is using 62% of the battery when I check. I have HTC EVO 4G LTE. I have power settings set to maximum power savings. I don't see an easy way of uninstalling "Google Play services" but probably it would be unwise to uninstall it anyway. The phone is warm all the time.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03