New Google Services killing battery life

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So, my battery life had been awesome. Constantly averaging in the 3-5 percent per hour range (no, I'm not as heavy of a user as others). However with the new Google Services update my battery rate has dropped (risen?) to 10-12 percent per hour. Ugh!!

Anybody out there figure out how to stop these new services from consuming so much battery?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
What services are they that are running down the battery? Google Now has a habit of consuming battery, as does a wonky update with Google Maps (Although I'm unsure if this has been fixed with a new update.) Can you check out your battery stats to see what your top battery users are so I can try to further help you?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What services are they that are running down the battery? Google Now has a habit of consuming battery, as does a wonky update with Google Maps (Although I'm unsure if this has been fixed with a new update.) Can you check out your battery stats to see what your top battery users are so I can try to further help you?

It's what I said "Google Services" which includes Google Services Framework, Google Play Service and all their other new stuff they pushed out.

I don't use Google Now (shut off), I'm logged out out Google+, I have all the location stuff in Maps turned off, etc.

Since I came off of the charger this morning it has used 33% of my battery.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's not Maps. It's Google Services. Google Maps shows up on its own and uses very little battery unless I'm using navigation with being connected to a charger.

Grr, the AC Forums app isn't letting me attach a screen shot.

Here's the screenshot. You can see Maps at the very bottom.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369354818182.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369354818182.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 106

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Have you looked at your sync settings? Things like Currents (not sure if you have that app or not), and many other Google apps with sync on can consume battery and data both doing the actual syncing of new data and just checking for new data. These include: books, music, movies & tv, photo backup, e-mail, etc.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Have you looked at your sync settings? Things like Currents (not sure if you have that app or not), and many other Google apps with sync on can consume battery and data both doing the actual syncing of new data and just checking for new data. These include: books, music, movies & tv, photo backup, e-mail, etc.

As mysteriously as it began and lasted two days, it is now done. I'd gone through every sync setting I could think of to no avail. Then yesterday after taking it off the charger in the morning it has been behaving nicely and I am now back to my 4-5 percent per hour.

In the end I don't really think there was anything that I really did to resolve it other than maybe 4 or 5 reboots. Maybe that was all it really needed.

slinkeril

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I was curious if anyone had found other info on this, as my phone has been dreadful with battery due to "google services" yet i have found no fix, and my problem has no fixed itself. Sometime my batter will go from 100% off charger to 10% in a matter of a few hours without heavy use, and i have a similar case as shown in the screen shot above, but have seen it up to 50-60%. Extremely displeased with this new development

rub2008

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I thought I had done something wrong. In messing up my battery but now that I see this, I can totally relate to Google services draining my battery. I just checked and it was up to 31% with nothing syncing. Any ideas anyone?

Posted via Android Central App

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just had this happen to me again today. Google Services was up to 55% and battery was draining at 20% per hour.

I restarted the phone twice and now all is good again. There must be a bug in their code somewhere that gets it stuck in a loop or something.

My suggestion if this happens to you would be to reboot your phone. Check and see if the problem is resolved, if not reboot again.

However, I don't think you can just use the HTC provided power app to determine if it is resolved. It appears that the data for the power app does not reset on reboot. I used GSam Battery Monitor. That app resets when you reboot so within 15 minutes of rebooting you can see if Google Services is still top dog on battery consumption.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion if this happens to you would be to reboot your phone. Check and see if the problem is resolved, if not reboot again.

A few days ago I was at work and checked my phone and more than half my battery was gone after just a few hours and I hadn't even used it that day! I ended up rebooting the phone and it "fixed" the problem for the rest of the day. The HTC power app just said it was "Android System" I believe, which is pretty useless for troubleshooting. This is the FIRST time I have seen this happen, however. What happened several times before, though, was the same thing from maps ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/180611-maps-using-20-battery-no-matter-what.html ) and I ended up uninstalling all updates to maps to "fix" that.

slinkeril

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Just started having the same issue. Google services ate more battery van screen time. I went from getting 5 hours of screen time to 2 hours okay and I had to charge.

Go home Google Services. You're drunk.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

slinkeril

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
So as an update, when i simply turn off my GPS radio, google services dissapears from my power consumption completely. I have decided to simply only turn it on when i need it, although i wish google would find a solution to this problem.
Next, now most of my battery consumption is coming from MAPS!!!! when i never even used it. I had 100% charge in the morning, and by 6pm only had 10% left with maps being the top power consumer at >30% even though i never once opened maps and my gps is turned off completely. so im now referring to the maps thread linked above for solutions to this problem.

5M177Y

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing this too.

Since a recent system update, my battery life has fallen dramatically (almost to the point where it is no longer practical to use the phone). "Google Services" is at about 60%.