I currently have an HTC EVO SHIFT. I've had the phone for over two years and its time to be replaced. I've been thinking of the HTC ONE, but after looking at it a bit, I really think that its to much phone for what I need. I don't do any social networking, and it seems that the HTC ONE is all about social networking.

I had originally ignored the HTC EVO 4G LTE because the phone is already a year old and support for the phone wont last for much longer. But, after a closer look at the phone, I'm thinking that this phone might be closer to what I need. A side by side comparison with the HTC ONE looks like the EVO is very comparable. The EVO has only a slightly slower processor, and I definitely like the fact that I can use a removable SD card.

However, I still have some concerns.

I've been reading reviews and there is a good mix of reviews out there, some with high praise, and of course, some that say the phone sucks. A lot of the low reviews complain about dropped calls, poor coverage, etc.... Are these one offs, or are these concerns that I need to take seriously? Another complaint was that in order to get 4G, the network has to be a 4G LTE network. Currently my area is only a 3G, but my local Sprint store told me that we'll be 4G by the end of the year. I didn't ask about the LTE, so if its only a 4G network, will I get 4G with this phone, or will it still be only a 3G phone?

One additional concern is the battery. My current phone chews up the battery and I have to continuously keep it plugged in. The HTC ONE has a battery life of 19 hours. I know the specs say 7.5 hours of talk time on the EVO, but I really don't believe those specs. How is the battery life? Does it live up to the 7.5 hours of talk time? Can I upgrade the battery on the EVO to extend its battery life?

Thank you, and any feed back I get will be appreciated.

Daryl
    07-09-2013 08:20 AM
    I'll say if u stay in an LTE area then the evo would be a good phone still to get.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2
    07-09-2013 08:50 AM
    From somebody who bought the phone on launch day, I would recommend DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE. 4G only really works if LTE signal is strong. Lots of other reasons too.
    07-09-2013 10:29 AM
    I would get the HTC one. Get more phone than you think you need. You'll be happy in the long run....
    TonyLibations and balansboy like this.
    07-09-2013 11:20 AM
    In response to your question, an evo is a great phone still today, and in 4g areas, data speeds are wonderful. You don't have to worry about the 4g not being lte: all sprint 4g deployments are now lte.
    The battery, while not upgradeable or removeable, is quite good: I have experienced up to a full 36 hours of standby time with no charger, of course that's being conservative because I had no charger. It will get me from the beginning of my day to the end at about 20-30% left, with moderate use, and a 12 hour day.
    It is a great phone with many nice features newer phones miss:
    For example, the camera shutter button. While many may not use this or think it's unnecessary, I've found it makes a great right shoulder button for emulated games. And if you assign volume up to the left shoulder, you have a perfect setup for many classic games you can't get with phones like the One.
    I've had this phone since launch, and the only real problem I have anymore is the multitasking is still a bit too limited. What I mean is if you have a few apps open, some will reset themselves between switching. Other than that, it's a great phone. Fast, amazing screen, SD card, oh! And the kickstand!! It's great! Usable both ways (and even portrait if you balance it), it's great for those times you don't wanna hold your phone to show off a YouTube video or something. Anyways, If you have anymore specifics, just ask. I would definitely recommend this phone if you don't want to spend the money on the One though.
    balansboy likes this.
    07-09-2013 11:27 AM
    Do not get the EVO LTE, but instead get the HTC one. As much as I loved the phone, I've had nothing but headaches with it (personal experiences) I highly doubt the LTE phone will receive updates or fixes since their new flag ship phone is released and htc track record of keeping phones up to date is horrible.
    07-10-2013 01:09 AM
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

Daryl
    07-11-2013 08:16 AM
    Unless you absolutely need removable SD storage then get the One. The Evo is a great phone and I would have recommended it in an instant before the One came out. As for the one being for social networking, ehhhh. I'm guessing that you're referring to blinkfeed, but really it's just a feed for anything. You can use it as an rss newsfeed just as easily as you can a social network one, and you don't have to use it at all if you don't want to.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    07-11-2013 09:15 AM
    Depends on price. Are you getting the evo cheap? I got it on launch and it's still a great phone. I got the one on launch and it's better.
    If you can just get the one.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-11-2013 09:42 AM
    Daryl,

I was in the same situation you are in now, I had the EVO 4G and no LTE in my market. I looked at the specs of all the tip new Androids and the 1 year old phones (SG3 and EVO 4G LTE). My decision was based on price and specifications. I found the Evo 4G LTE for free when I upgraded my contract. Whether or not the upgrade happens, the EVO may have some of the functionality of the One ( blinkfeed and Sense 5). If not, no complaints here.

I have had the phone for two months now and I have had no issues with it. I consider myself to be a power user. I hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-14-2013 10:17 AM
    Run away. Get out of sprint. And I don't know about everyone else but Google is starting to change big time. And a lot not for good. Talk to hangouts was a dissapountment but not using it wasn't making or breaking me. So I stopped using it.

After this maps update. I want to run away from android.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-14-2013 02:27 PM
    Run away. Get out of sprint. And I don't know about everyone else but Google is starting to change big time. And a lot not for good. Talk to hangouts was a dissapountment but not using it wasn't making or breaking me. So I stopped using it.

After this maps update. I want to run away from android.

elaborate on the MAPS issues please.
    07-14-2013 07:41 PM
    Well. Its not as bad as I previously though. Everything is hidden. Its hard to get to certain features. And you can't just show all your saved places. I also lost a lot of them after the update.

Navigation takes too long to get to. And saving maps for offline isn't managble at all.

07-15-2013 10:32 AM