Is the HTC Evo 4G LTE dead (relatively speaking)?

kidstechno

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
With HTC going full throttle on it's One flagship device, as well as HTC One variant and (possible) contender to the Note 3, is it safe to say with little to no information coming out in the last six months regarding the Evo 4G LTE, that this device will never see the light of future updates or even Sense 5?

Not to start a war or anything, but as a current owner, I feel like I own the sad step-sibling of the HTC One. Don't get me wrong, the HTC Evo 4G LTE is a solid device, but I think it'll be approaching EoL soon. I've almost changed devices so many times, but I just keep coming back. Let's hear from you guys, do you still rock the E4L or did you end up changing to another device? Think HTC left the E4L in the dust?

97trakin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I read yesterday that the One X and its spin offs to INCLUDE the EVO 4G LTE will be upgraded to 4.2.2 and sense 5.
The one S will NOT be receiving any more OS updates.

Hammer9274

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I would hope that the EvoLte will get 4.2.2 and sense 5?! If it does (fingers crossed) I'd say that that will be the last update for it, except for maybe security fixes.

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes sad to say but our device has been greatly overshadowed by the one. I still love the phone but the update to 4.2.2 and sense 5 would be nice. If for nothing else just a little change and something new to play with. I'm not a rooter so I enjoy something to break up the monotony every now and then. :D

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

sandbag72191

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
It is sad that the EVO 4G LTE is a sinking ship. The EVO 4G LTE is just the ONE+ just with a bigger battery and a micro SD card. As a current owner I was a full hearted believer in the EVO series as a whole but I will agree with HTC's new ONE flagship device that they are pushing the EVO is being left to wither away in the wind. I kind of feel betrayed or forgotten by HTC but then again I am excited to upgrade in 5 months so I can get a new HTC device. Well at least wait for the new ONE that will be announced in 6 months. I pray to the phone gods that we EVO 4G LTE users will get the 4.2.2 Update with Sense 5 before HTC shuts the doors on the EVO forever.

Greg Wilkins

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Rumor is 4.2.2 update in August..

The sun is setting

Posted via Android Central App

Holy crap, game addict is in with his prediction/inside knowledge, every time he's shown his face in an update thread for the evo it happens! I'm so excited, we will be getting the update! Thanks for the pick -me -up game! You da man!

Posted via Android Central App

kidstechno

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Has there been any official word by HTC as to an update for E4GLTE? Until then, I know rumor are to be taken with a grain of salt. What ever happened to that Sprint insider guy? He was on point with updates.

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I would say the LTE is a dead phone. As much as I loved it, htc doesn't have a good track record of keeping up/fixing their phones once newer models are out. My LTE had so much problems when we had our updates and htc never came around for the fix and the consistent waiting game of "Are we getting this update?" sucks. Personally I'm glad I jumped to samsung side since they're very good with updates and such, but I admit. I miss the LCD screen badly.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I would say the LTE is a dead phone. As much as I loved it, htc doesn't have a good track record of keeping up/fixing their phones once newer models are out.

Almost NO android phones from ANY company get much in the way of updates 1.5 years after release (unless it is a Nexus). And if they do, it is rarely to the latest Android. Sad, but true. So I would not point any fingers at either the Evo LTE or HTC as being particularly more of an example.

Mark Zagotti

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
HTC won't tell you. I emailed their customer support and their respose was a long winded story when I wanted a yes or no answer. I didn't ask "when", just if...

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
HTC won't tell you. I emailed their customer support and their respose was a long winded story when I wanted a yes or no answer. I didn't ask "when", just if...

:) Did you really expect anything different? Most companies are not going to comment on their upgrade or product schedules.

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Almost NO android phones from ANY company get much in the way of updates 1.5 years after release (unless it is a Nexus). And if they do, it is rarely to the latest Android. Sad, but true. So I would not point any fingers at either the Evo LTE or HTC as being particularly more of an example.

I believe galaxy s2 received jelly bean updates. That phone is crazy old. Other samsung model received updates as well.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe galaxy s2 received jelly bean updates. That phone is crazy old. Other samsung model received updates as well.

That's true. It wasn't an OTA update but it did in fact get it. Runs great on it too. I had one for about a month. Poor coverage signal was atrocious. The Evo 4G LTE is far superior.

Guy from SU

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm still using my EVO LTE originally activated 6/2/12. I tried both the silver and black ONE but returned them and stuck w/ the EVO (both of the ONE's had quality issues that wouldn't allow me to justify the $580 price tag). I've removed the case after using one for the first year and now realize this phone is so well built that a case was really never necessary. It's still looking like its fresh out of the box! I really hope this phone gets updated to 4.2.2, that should last me until February when I'm eligible for an upgrade. Also by then I'm hoping all new Sprint devices will be tri-band, no sense in upgrading until they are.