Repeating / duplicate incoming text messages

Sh Cooper

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
I have been plagued with repeating / duplicate incoming text messages for several months now. Doesn't happen all the time, and not with every message. But when it happens, it seems to have fits. I can get the same message or group of several messages DOZENS of times at seemingly random intervals for hours, sometimes several hours. It drives me crazy. The only "solution" seems to be to call the person who texted me and then it suddenly stops.

I suspected it was not specific to the Evo LTE or my specific phone, even though Sprint would keep blaming the phone and saying I should take it in for service (which is not going to happen). It so happens two of my friends also have Evo LTE's and have the same issue.

Today someone with a Sprint Win phone (he must be the only one on the planet with one) *AND* someone with a Sprint Galaxy S4 both reported the same thing to me. They showed it happening in my cell (tower) but also reported it happening in other cells (as did my other friends). I am really pissed at Sprint's attitude about it, acting like they have never heard of such a thing and/or blaming it on my phone. And I can't get anyone technical to help or look into it.

So the question is- how many of you out there have seen this behavior?

Okay! I struggled with this for weeks and finally found a solution. First, make sure that you don't have two text apps installed. If you only have one and you're still having this issue... Go into your texting app and press.. Uninstall updates! It will erase all of your customizations I. E. special backgrounds, bubble colors... Etc. All of that can easily be redone.Then, simply install updates as usual. I am on Verizon and I am using their Messages+ app. I had tried everything and this worked wonderfully. When I u installed all of the updates, it actually uninstalled the app which is built into my Verizon system and reinstalled it without hiccups! Been working great ever since and I got to update my customizations! Quick and easy fix! I hope this helps someone! Let me know! ������

Last edited by a moderator:

avanti7320

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
Having this problem with my HTC. I don't believe that it is a tower problem, as it happens even if I pull the sim card. The repeat occurs every time that the phone is switched on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is something that can happen from time to time on any carrier -- contact your carrier and see if they can help.

Penny G

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
I also live in Canada and have been plagued with this issue for more than a year. I even changed wireless providers and the problem persists. I got a new SIM card and I've done system resets, I even got a new phone. I think this is a bug in the Android OS, upgrading it doesn't help. That's the only thing that is the same as before.

I've had the same problem, I receive duplicate texts. It is not contact specific and it happens often. I live in Canada. I phoned technical support of my provider and they said I would have to either:

1. Do a system reset
2. Get a new sim card

If there is any other suggestions please let me know

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I also live in Canada and have been plagued with this issue for more than a year. I even changed wireless providers and the problem persists. I got a new SIM card and I've done system resets, I even got a new phone. I think this is a bug in the Android OS, upgrading it doesn't help. That's the only thing that is the same as before.

I live in Canada too and sometimes this happens to me - either I get messages twice as a recipient or when I send a text, it sends as a duplicate. I'm unsure of if this is a carrier-specific thing, as I've received duplicate texts from users of different providers. Have you contacted your carrier to see if they have any suggestions for you?

Penny G

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
Sigh. Not only was Bell stumped by this, I switched to Virgin and they too are stumped. Not surprising since Virgin and Bell are the same company. I will say that it occurs most frequently in group text and photo texts, not as much with text-only SMS. That's my only clue right now.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sigh. Not only was Bell stumped by this, I switched to Virgin and they too are stumped. Not surprising since Virgin and Bell are the same company. I will say that it occurs most frequently in group text and photo texts, not as much with text-only SMS. That's my only clue right now.

What about individual contacts - is there one contact in your group text that sometimes duplicates via normal SMS?

Larry from Ohio

Nov 6, 2018
Visit site
I get this from my sister only and she has metro and I have cricket /att she holds her finger on the send button and smiles at any one with her as long as she holds the button down it repeat sends and locks my phone up so I cant respond to her.Seems like she only does that when she is angry with me I have tryed it sending messages to her then I get a message saying you sent the message several times and locked my phone up. I hope this helps. Larry

DoubleB13

Dec 27, 2018
Visit site
This just worked for me... I have an LG V40 and use the default Google messaging app. In the app, go to settings - advanced - chat features - resend messages if undelivered. I changed the settings from resend when not roaming to never resend. I work in a building where my signal isn't great. Text messages still send and are being received just no longer duplicate/resend.