newbie-transfer pictures to computer

someweeds

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry if this has been addressed but I've looked everywhere. My pics are easily found on my phone with ES File Explorer at sdcard/DCIM/100MEDIA/. When I plug my phone to computer by USB and go to DCIM/100MEDIA, the folder is empty. I would just like to save these pics to my computer for safer keeping and to clear space. What am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated. Thx so much!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a microSD card, and are your photos saved on the SD card rather than internal storage? When you plug your phone in via USB, it might only be detecting the DCIM folder on internal storage. I'm not sure if the external SD card will show up using an MTP connection.

It might be easier to transfer the photos wirelessly using AirDroid.

someweeds

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion! It did seem very strange that the DCIM folder was empty even when I took the microSD out of the phone and put it directly into my computer. I messed around a bit with Airdroid then just decided to copy all the pics and video to dropbox then to my laptop. Problem solved! Thanks again for taking the time!!