HTC EVO 4G LTE - Need help. Root failed and hard bricked phone

rompin

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
So I had my phone rooted and unlocked with the S-On. I went to flash the Charmeleon Rom in TWRP and it was successful but wouldnt reboot so i decided to restore my backup and it was gone. Now I have no back up and my rom wont work. So far I have relocked my phone and am trying to download an RUU but dont know which one and not sure what step to take next. The phone will turn on but then just goes black. I can only run in recovery right now. Can anyone please help me figure this out?

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Need help. Root failed and hard bricked phone

Please provide all of the info on your bootloader screen. If you know how to use fastboot, the output of "fastboot getvar all" would also be helpful.

rompin

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I am not sure what info you need from the bootloader screen and I dont know how to use fastboot.

rompin

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

If I unlock my phone again is there a way to turn the S off so i can flash a rom? I can mount my sd card from twrp so if there a way to flash anything to get it working?

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

If I unlock my phone again is there a way to turn the S off so i can flash a rom? I can mount my sd card from twrp so if there a way to flash anything to get it working?
If you unlock your phone again, you can flash a ROM, yes. But you will need to fastboot flash the boot.img, so you'll have to learn how to do that.

rompin

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

do you know the command to unlock the phone? How can I fastboot flash the img?

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

do you know the command to unlock the phone? How can I fastboot flash the img?
The instructions for unlocking the phone are on htcdev.com. It requires an unlock code they provide you via email and a fastboot command.

To fastboot flash the boot.img, you extract the file from the ROM zip file on your computer and place the boot image into to folder with the fastboot.exe. With a command prompt opened in that folder, and the device connected to the computer in fastboot USB mode, you input the command "fastboot flash boot boot.img" and the prompt will show you the progress/success of the flash.

One thing to note is that the ROM you were trying to flash is very old; in fact it's Ice Cream Sandwich, while we're currently running Jellybean. Is there a reason you chose such an old ROM? That's probably why you're having issues.

Once you get up and running, there are several methods you should be able to try to get S-OFF.

rompin

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I originnally tried the new CM but it didnt work and I was stuck in brick mode so I have just been trying to get anything to work. Can you recommend a rom to get?

rompin

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Where do I find the fastboot.exe? Sorry if I am a pain, I never had any issues on my old evo when I rooted.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

The reason CM wouldn't work is because you have to fastboot flash the boot.img. What you have is not a brick. If your phone was a brick, it wouldn't even turn on.

You can always try CM again (which version are you referring to?) as long as you fastboot flash the boot.img.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Where do I find the fastboot.exe? Sorry if I am a pain, I never had any issues on my old evo when I rooted.
htcdev.com has links to everything you need in the "Unlock Bootloader" section.

Each new device patches security vulnerabilities, making them more difficult to work with, but less likely to be bricked. You can't use your experience on an older device to judge your experience on a newer one. A lot changes over time.

rompin

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

sending 'boot' (5730 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.862s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 1.328s]
finished. total time: 2.191s

I tried to flash to boot.img and thats what I got. Did it work correctly?

I was trying CM10.1.3 it always said unable to skipping MD5 check and i think the last time I checked it said unable to mount to usb but when I did charmeleon it actually went through the whole loading process just wouldnt work either. If what I did above is correct what should be my next step?

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

sending 'boot' (5730 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.862s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 1.328s]
finished. total time: 2.191s

I tried to flash to boot.img and thats what I got. Did it work correctly?

I was trying CM10.1.3 it always said unable to skipping MD5 check and i think the last time I checked it said unable to mount to usb but when I did charmeleon it actually went through the whole loading process just wouldnt work either. If what I did above is correct what should be my next step?
That appears to have flashed fine.

Now make sure you have the latest TWRP (2.6.3.0), do a factory reset in recovery, and then flash the CM ROM zip (assuming that's the boot.img you just flashed). The MD5 message is just information; that's nothing to worry about.

rompin

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I really am not sure if I did the flashboot correctly. extracted the files from CM10 and took the boot.img and pasted it in the EVO4GLTE Root Folder which looked to have a fastboot application. Then ran the command you said. Does that sound correct?

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I really am not sure if I did the flashboot correctly. extracted the files from CM10 and took the boot.img and pasted it in the EVO4GLTE Root Folder which looked to have a fastboot application. Then ran the command you said. Does that sound correct?
Yes. you got no error messages. You did it correctly.

rompin

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Ok so I did a reboot to get back to bootloaded and CM started working. Hopefully it all work now.

rompin

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

It came on but says "Unfortunately CM Account has stopped" so i cant do anything as of now.