Interesting WiFi Problem, Suggestions Please?

Reverse Taper

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
So, I've had this problem on my phone every since I've updated my phone to Jelly Bean and I'm not the only one, but I haven't found anything like this on Android Central. On the Sprint Community I've found it here and a little here halfway down. A description of my exact issue is very well described in this posting.

In short, after a while of being connected to my WiFi at home, the connection goes "stale" is the only way I can describe it. My phone still says it is connected but whenever I try to do anything on the internet is just gives me that circle and never goes anywhere. Turning the WiFi off and then back on solves the problem until after a while of being idle, it stops working again. Rinse repeat.

I've tried a lot of the solutions I read here on Android Central, I've analyzed my WiFi signal and channels, I've downloaded two different WiFi managers, I've tried going to just 2.4GHz or G band only and the problem has not gone away. (For reference, these things were all mentioned in the Android Central threads here, here, here, and here.) I have noticed that the wifi managers all said I was connected but no data would transmit.

At this point I'm pretty certain it's got to be a router setting. I'm running tomato 1.28 on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 wireless router. Unfortunately here I get beyond my ability to know what to do. I've considered going back to the stock Buffalo software or maybe trying DD-WRT but I thought I'd ask here first.

Oh, and the reason I'm dealing with this all of a sudden is I've upgraded my internet and my old DOCSIS 2.0 modem is now restricting my speed, so I need a new one. Normally I'm not a fan of combo equipment but my wife is asking me to get a combo modem/router so she no longer has to deal with this problem. I suppose that is relevant, my wife and sister-in-law both have HTC EVO 4G LTE phones and everyone only has this problem in my house. No other piece of equipment that connects over WiFi, which is a lot, has this problem either.

Sorry for the long post but I have researched this and I know it can be annoying when a lot of these problems can just be solved by posting a link; however if there is a link for this and I've missed it, feel free to post that!

Edit1: May be relevant, I'm still running 4.1, I haven't upgraded but I've been thinking about doing so.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It really sounds like a router issue. Have you tried turning off router security temporarily, to see if the problem persists? See other tips here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

It may be worth trying a different router. But I would caution you about the combo modem/routers, because those tend to be associated with more problems, from what I've read and experienced. I have an Arris TG852 combo modem/router on Comcast, and the wi-fi signal simply drops out at unpredictable times. I have to go into its settings and reset the wi-fi module to get it up again. Fortunately, I have another access point in my house, so it isn't a big deal for me.

Reverse Taper

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, on principle I am not a fan of combo equipment, I always feel like they never do quite as good a job.

I read through the guide, I have tried most of those but I'm a little hesitant to leave my network unprotected for an extended length of time. I may instead try changing the encryption like it suggests, I haven't done that one yet. If that still doesn't do anything, maybe I'll give it a go but it just feels so... wrong to leave my network unprotected!

I really like tomato on my router, it has been so rock solid for all my other devices with never any connection problems. I actually got rid of my older Linksys router a while back because the connection was just so unreliable so I don't have another router to test with. Maybe a good alternative would be to try a different firmware but DD-WRT is so much more than I need which is why I went with tomato...

It also mentions the Wi-Fi Optimizer. On the HTC EVO 4G LTE, that's the optimization manager, right? I can't ever seem to find a setting for that, where is it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wifi optimization may differ in function across different devices, so I can't be sure about the Evo.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Reverse Taper

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
So, quick update. The night I posted my previous reply I changed the encryption from TKIP to AES. I forgot the network on my phone and put the password back in. I tried to do the same on my wife's phone but for some reason I couldn't get the command to come up, but I was tired and went to bed.

Since that night I have not had to reset my wifi once! At this point I'm cautiously optimistic I might be able to get to a solution. My wife has had to reset her wifi a couple of times so I'm going to make her phone forget the connection and re-set it back up. I also left a wifi manager app on my phone because I liked widget, I'm wondering if that may have some to do with it as well.

In short, it appears we are on the right track, thanks for the help! I just have to fix her phone too, fixing mine and not hers won't work.

Reverse Taper

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello, back with another update.

So, after what appeared to be success, the problem has returned; I think I might have just had good luck or something for a couple of days. This seemed to work on my phone for a while but only for a day on my wife's phone. I've since tried different encryptions but I'm having the same result, still having to reset my WiFi connection on our phones.

I also started looking harder at the router. I put the router back to default settings and erased all the data in the NVRAM using the Tomato configuration tool. I also read somewhere that someone had success in fixing a similar problem by changing the MTU size from the default of 1500 to 1453; I just did that a short while ago but I'm not hopeful it will solve the problem.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a good WiFi/router forum I can visit? The last time it happened on my phone I went into my router and noticed something; whenever we can't get the phones to connect they stay on a br0 interface instead of changing to a eth1 interface, which is above my head so I need somewhere to go! (Though I thought I read on a forum posting that a wireless connection will not work on a br0 interface...) I also can't ping my phones IP address when I experience the problem, so it is definitely a connection between the phone and router problem.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney