I just purchased the HTC Evo 4g LTE , why do the notifications repeatedly ping, can't be dismissed from lock screen?

Eric Colossal

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Purchased HTC Evo 4g LTE - notifications repeatedly ping, can't be dismissed from lock screen

I just purchased an HTC Evo 4g LTE phone and I have yet to activate it on a phone plan.

I have been trying to learn how to use it and the main features I want are for it to notify me when I get an email and for me to be able to dismiss these notifications from the lock screen after I have read them.

I have notifications working fine but it never seems to stop notifying me of the same message. My phone is set to sync every 5 minutes and EVERY 5 minutes it will notify me again if I haven't dismissed the notification. I would rather it notified me upon receiving the email and then sit quietly with its green light blinking. Is this possible?

Is there a way to dismiss these notifications from the lock screen? The only way I know of to stop the beeping is to unlock my phone, slide down the notification panel, and then dismiss the notifications but this seems like too many steps if, say, I'm at dinner or having a conversation and just want to shut the thing up.

Thank you so much for any help. I'm very new to smart phones, especially Android.
Eric

Updated: The Android version running on the phone is 4.1.1
I tried to install NiLS but the install page says "Android devices lower than 4.2 are not capable of showing widgets on lock screen. However you can use 3rd party lock screen such as WidgetLocker to be able to do that." I don't really want to buy an app for something I don't even know if it'll work. It seems everything I read says 4.1 does not offer much in the way of lock screen customization.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Purchased HTC Evo 4g LTE - notifications repeatedly ping, can't be dismissed from lock screen

Welcome to Android Central! What version of Android is the phone running? Go to Settings>About Phone>Android Version to find out.

The ability to dismiss notifications from the lockscreen isn't always available on the unmodified manufacturer's interface. You may want to consider installing a lockscreen widget like NiLS Lockscreen Notifications.

Eric Colossal

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Purchased HTC Evo 4g LTE - notifications repeatedly ping, can't be dismissed from lock screen

Thank you for the welcome!

The Android version running on the phone is 4.1.1

I tried to install NiLS but the install page says "Android devices lower than 4.2 are not capable of showing widgets on lock screen. However you can use 3rd party lock screen such as WidgetLocker to be able to do that." I don't really want to buy an app for something I don't even know if it'll work. It seems everything I read says 4.1 does not offer much in the way of lock screen customization.

It looks like HTC has abandoned any upgrades to this phone. Guess I made a bad purchase

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's a bummer. Remember that you can get a refund from a Play Store app within 2 hours. So you could buy it and try it for that long to see if it works.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for the welcome!

The Android version running on the phone is 4.1.1

It looks like HTC has abandoned any upgrades to this phone. Guess I made a bad purchase

There is a 4.3.3 RUU update you must download and install via your computer. It is a nice upgrade. Search this forum.

Eric Colossal

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, I saw that. Also seeing that HTC removed the links from their own website and said that installing the RUU now violates your warranty does not inspire confidence in me to install them.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site

The upgrade will not toast your phone. Follow Mo Versi on Twitter and he will help you out if something goes wrong. HTC wants to keep you happy. You have very little to lose. Hope you didn't pay more than $50 for the phone.

But the RUU keeps the phone relevant. On the other hand, an M7 or M8 is much faster, smoother, and already has Kit Kat, and both will get Lollipop. You sleep in the bed you make. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781