After Sprint: What Android to install on EVO 4G LTE?

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm ready to wipe / root / whatever this EVO 4G LTE and am thinking about just getting a stock Android, if I can.

My goal is to have this as a camera/ media player / wifi web tool, without any cellular service. If it can somehow make wifi calls, bonus but not important.

I've never rooted before. Which version of Android would be best and what's the right method to do this?

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for the smoothest running android version for this model

Posted via the Android Central App

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to get it stripped down without the Sprint and HTC layers and extra apps. Pure stock android.

Having a lot of trouble getting it unlocked. I can't get the Token ID off of it to do the unlocking through HTC.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to unlock my HTC EVO 4G LTE.

I have tried installing the HTC drivers on my Windows 10 PC. In Windows Device Manager, the best identification I get is "My HTC" under "Android USB Devices."

When I connect the phone to the computer's USB, the best identification I get is "EVO". Often it says that the USB device is not recognized.

I have tried 3 different USB cables and 3 different USB ports on the PC, both USB 2.0 and 3.0.

I have tried uninstalling HTC Sync. I have FASTBOOT disabled on the phone's Settings, Power options. I have USB Debugging Enabled on the phone.

When I try to FASTBOOT oem Get_Identifier_Token, the only thing I see is "waiting for any device."

I have tried to use a utility called WinDroid Universal which automates the process. The furthest that gets is when trying to Get Token ID, it reboots the phone into FASTBOOT mode but it never gets to the FASTBOOT USB mode. It stops on the FASTBOOT screen on the phone. From there I can navigate using the phone's volume and power buttons only.

It never returns the TOKEN ID that I need to submit to the HTCDEV site in order to get the unlock code sent to me.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I've Unlocked, and Rooted my EVO 4G LTE.
It has TWRP Recovery and installed SuperSU.

Now I need to find the right, stable, smooth, ROM to flash. I would be happy with basic Android. I don't understand what features I'd want from a custom ROM.

I'm planning to use this as a wifi Internet, email, camera device without cellular service.

I assume that by getting rid of HTC Sense and all the extra bloat apps that Sprint and HTC had on there that I can keep this device running as a smooth Android tool.

I'd be happy with the latest Android version that will run well on it. (I've had the experience of Lollipop on an old Nexus 7 2012 WiFi and it doesn't work well. Very lagggy. So I flashed that one all the way back to JellyBean to get it run smoothly.) So for this EVO 4G LTE, I don't know if it will handle a more recent Android or not. I'm willing to try custom ROMs if they are stable and complete (the main features work well, etc.)

I am inexperienced in rooting / flashing. I used the Universal Toolkit after unlocking to flash TWRP and root with SuperSU. That worked.

So I need help in finding the right ROM and the how-to of installing it. Thanks.