New to rooting, I have a couple questions

MengTian

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
First off I've done a boat load of reading and research, I've probably read the guide to rooting like five times. But I still have a couple questions.
First off people say that the only way to brick your phone is when your flashing radios and stuff. Well whats the proper way to do this then? And do the devs include the newest radios and PRI and PRL and stuff in their roms? For example I plan on testing out the Mikg v2.2 first, will I have to flash the newest radios and stuff with it to or are they included?
Also which of the steps in the rooting guide are we flashing the rom? If none of them then whats the proper steps to flashing them?
I think that's all of the questions I have for now. Thanks for your help and answering these questions. I can't wait to root my phone but I don't wanna go in completely blind.

-MengTian

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You are doing the right thing in asking lots of questions before you dive in. It can be overwhelming, especially if you screw something up. Don't worry too much if you get into a bootloop or something, as long as you nandroid. Learn that before anything else. Find out how to get Amon RA recovery. Most people prefer it to Clockwork. Basically, once you're rooted you just download Rom Manager from the market and change your recovery version in that app. Don't worry about flashing roms or radios until after you get full root and learn to nandroid. Updated radios are not included in the roms, they have to be flashed separately, but are flashed just like a rom. Just make a nandroid before and after everything. You can store them on your pc, but always keep your latest one on the phone. You can find the latest radios here: [ Radios ][ 7-4 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers. Also, purchase the Titanium Backup app for backing up all your apps. Make sure you learn about all its features and what you can and should not restore after flashing new roms. It just makes it easier and quicker to restore your apps when you flash a new rom.

Reactions: MengTian

MengTian

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I rooted my phone this morning after watching a couple hours of youtube videos of how to do nandroids and flashing stuff and spending even more hours scowering the forums here and on xda. Needless to say I felt read and anxious to root.
Luckly the way i rooted, the one thats stickied here, came with Amon RA. It went smoothly and the only hiccup came with my contacts not syncing with my google account but thats alright. I already downloaded Titanium Backup, is there a video or forum or something that'll show me how to do everything on it?
Also I flashed my first rom Im running MikG v2.2. I really like it but then again its my first rom. So Im willing to try new roms. So what are some that you guys like? As long as my basics work, texting/calling/web work Im not picky. Thanks for all your help.
-MengTian

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Good stuff. Check out the TB wiki for more info. http://matrixrewriter.com/wiki/tiki-index.php
Basically u really only want to backup and restore your downloaded market apps. Having the paid version allows u to backup and restore all with one touch, versus redoing each app one by one. Once in TB, just hit menu > batch, and the rest is pretty basic. U can backup system data such as contacts, mms, and wifi/ Bluetooth connections, but I have had problems when restoring some of that info when trying out different roms, mostly just bootloops. So I usually just start with a clean slate when I flash a new rom. It can be cumbersome, but you'll have less problems and save more time in the long run. Maybe someone else can chime in on better ways to restore stuff safely. There are apps for backing up call logs and SMS too, which works better for me. Search SMS backup in the market. Bookmarks to SD too. Its really up to u which features u want. Personally, battery life is the most important. In my experience i have gotten the best battery life out of aosp roms (android open source project). But you're not going to have quite as good of integration with syncing contacts through Facebook and certain other apps. Try using another Launcher such as Launcher Pro or ADW, and see how u like it. If u prefer the HTC sense experience, then u may want to stick with sense roms. Good luck.

Reactions: MengTian