[Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
If you are following the instructions very carefully there should only be one key. For both the key and the serial number, make sure you observe capitalization, and don't confuse numbers and letters like l and 1.

Dinhilion

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted but, I have a question about the nandroid backup. I did recovery>backup and it just went, there was no "nandroid backup" option. I have a backup file that I am assuming is correct. It is under clockworkmod>backup. I copied this to my pc. Is that all I need to do or did I miss a step

edit: I just downloaded ROM manager and it looks identical, so I am assuming I did it right. Confirmation would still be appreciated though.

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted but, I have a question about the nandroid backup. I did recovery>backup and it just went, there was no "nandroid backup" option. I have a backup file that I am assuming is correct. It is under clockworkmod>backup. I copied this to my pc. Is that all I need to do or did I miss a step

edit: I just downloaded ROM manager and it looks identical, so I am assuming I did it right. Confirmation would still be appreciated though.

Yep, thats right. :p

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
My friend has been dying for me to root his EVO and this method seems pretty easy. I'll be sure to watch some videos on the process to get myself more familiar with it :)

mrepa93

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Smoke I need Help!
I used the revolutionary tool It accepted my beta key then i got this

Root acquired!
Sending in Caroline...
Retrieving Caroline from certain doom...
Retrying Caroline.....
Caroline Failed, but had this to say. An error occurred while writing to the partition
Errors (if Any):-
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00000000
Press (almost) any key to exit

is there some thing wrong with my SDcard that needs to be addressed before clockwork will take on my phone?
Or is there something else wrong with my EVO?

I'm having this same problem. HELP!

TKDWILSON

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I really need help. I went through the process. I got S-Off. Now, it says it's installing and it reboots into the recovery screen. I click recovery and it doesn't ask about the zip files on my SD card at all! It ignores the root files on my SD card. I tried cleaning everything else off my SD card, and it still didn't help. Can anyone tell me what I can do? I have S-off but no root at all.

redlinkfs

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to run revolutionary but it just stays stuck on the "Waiting for device..." text. It doesn't pass that no matter how long I wait. I downloaded all the drivers and have it on debug mode but still nothing. Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to run revolutionary but it just stays stuck on the "Waiting for device..." text. It doesn't pass that no matter how long I wait. I downloaded all the drivers and have it on debug mode but still nothing. Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Did you enter all the info on the Revolutionary download page, then get a beta key? I had the same issue, started over again, followed the steps on the youtube video link posted back at the beginning of this thread, and it all worked perfectly the second time. My Evo is now rooted and Rommed. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. Just make sure you follow the steps EXACTLY as they are laid out, have patience as you work through the process, and you should be good to go.

01S281

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm having issues installing my Cyanogenmod ROM... It keeps saying installation aborted. Any ideas what I can do? When I first rooted my phone with Revolutionary a while back it worked fine, but now for some reason it wont

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear before I go to Root my Evo...

I am happy with everything right now on my EVO EXCEPT:

1) I want to delete a bunch of the programs I currently can't delete
2) I want to set up free Wifi tethering

If I follow all the steps above (at the beginning of the thread) and get my EVO to S-Off. Everything will still be the same (Same ROM as I have now through Sprint). And then I would be able to delete the programs and add the wifi teathering, correct?

Maybe later down the road I will play with different ROMS, but baby steps right now.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Just to be clear before I go to Root my Evo...

I am happy with everything right now on my EVO EXCEPT:

1) I want to delete a bunch of the programs I currently can't delete
2) I want to set up free Wifi tethering

If I follow all the steps above (at the beginning of the thread) and get my EVO to S-Off. Everything will still be the same (Same ROM as I have now through Sprint). And then I would be able to delete the programs and add the wifi teathering, correct?

Maybe later down the road I will play with different ROMS, but baby steps right now.

Yes, when you root your phone you don't have to flash a ROM right away. You can keep everything stock until you're ready to play with ROMs. I know I didn't flash any custom ROMs until some time after I rooted.

kmedina84

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
i am have some trouble! i downloaded the s off file, extracted it. my phone is set on allowing debugging. .once i open up the s off all it says is waiting on device and it doesnt do anything from there! :'( ive been trying to find ways to root my phone and im not having any luck....:(
and also when i had to insert my info for the beta key the drop down only has 2 options for hboot and neither of the 2 were mine. i have 2.10.001 so idk if that's what's keeping it from ready my device. totally lost

Last edited:

mrepa93

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I continue to experience this issue. I've tried three different PC's and I'm using the correct drivers. HTC Sync is not installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I used the revolutionary tool It accepted my beta key then i got this

Root acquired!
Sending in Caroline...
Retrieving Caroline from certain doom...
Retrying Caroline.....
Caroline Failed, but had this to say. An error occurred while writing to the partition
Errors (if Any):-
Press (almost) any key to exit

is there some thing wrong with my SDcard that needs to be addressed before clockwork will take on my phone?
Or is there something else wrong with my EVO?

kmedina84

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
MREPA Your a step ahead of me! i finally got everything figured out and now i cant get this beta key to take in the revo prog.... did you have to do something to it for it to accept? i deleted redownloaded and still nothing! this is not simple :(

mrepa93

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
MREPA Your a step ahead of me! i finally got everything figured out and now i cant get this beta key to take in the revo prog.... did you have to do something to it for it to accept? i deleted redownloaded and still nothing! this is not simple :(
Haven't had any problems with the beta key. That part actually worked correctly for me, not that it matters since "Caroline " hates me and no one seems to have a clue what causes the issue.

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

I have had the same problem ever since revolutionary came out. It is so frustrating. I have been extremely careful about getting the numbers and letters correct, and have followed the instructions meticulously, using three different computers. I must have tried several dozen times over the last two months. :(

Problem is, everyone tells you the same things... follow instructions, don't confuse numbers and letters and pay attention to case, use debug mode, and turn htc sync off. When none of that works, no one has any other suggestions. I have tried contacting the revolutionary team, but no luck. This is especially bad news for us since it is unlikely the EVO 4G will get Ice Cream.

Oh, and I foolishly donated 5 euro...

hondaeatingtsi

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
i dont know why your having such issues. I have used it on 4 different evo's and havent had any of these issues. i have followed the directions to a tee. i am on a windows 7 laptop. it almost sounds to me as if the hboot is the incorrect version OR the software on your phone is corrupt

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
i dont know why your having such issues. I have used it on 4 different evo's and havent had any of these issues. i have followed the directions to a tee. i am on a windows 7 laptop. it almost sounds to me as if the hboot is the incorrect version OR the software on your phone is corrupt

Hboot appears to be correct, but you might be right about the software on my phone being corrupt. Although I am not having problems with anything except trying to root, the gingerbread update completely bricked my phone and I had to take it to Sprint for recovery. Perhaps they messed up some seemingly insignificant item when they re-initialized it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34