[Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

jcprunty

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Could anyone give me a little more information on how to get the superuser onto my device?
I'm done with steps one through four as the original post says, but I can't figure out what I need to get the super user from my computer to my phone...
Any help is greatly appreciated!
I'm excited to be rooted!
I downloaded the file that was on the revolutionary page

Connected my phone as a disk drive

Copied it over to my sd card (the root of it)

Then rebooted my phone into fastboot(power off, then hold down the power button and volume button)

then chose recovery and install from zip on sd card

Chose the file su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed

thats it

jmorgan3475

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the file that was on the revolutionary page

Connected my phone as a disk drive

Copied it over to my sd card (the root of it)

Then rebooted my phone into fastboot(power off, then hold down the power button and volume button)

then chose recovery and install from zip on sd card

Chose the file su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed

thats it
Okay that sounds easy enough, but I've done that and the file su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed doesn't seem to be available...
I am very new at this so I could just be overlooking something

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Could anyone give me a little more information on how to get the superuser onto my device?
I'm done with steps one through four as the original post says, but I can't figure out what I need to get the super user from my computer to my phone...
Any help is greatly appreciated!
I'm excited to be rooted!

Once everything is done with the s-off program and have a custom recovery install, go into recovery (this keeps from booting your phone more than you need to) and select mounts and storage -> mount usb storage. Plug cable into the phone if you haven't already. Your menu for you sd card will pop up and drag and drop superuser from your computer to the sd card. Make sure you leave it as a .zip file. DON'T EXTRACT IT. Now unmount and select go back in recovery. Now you want to flash the zip. Install zip from sd card -> choose zip from sd card-> select the su. Go back and reboot. Done

jcprunty

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay that sounds easy enough, but I've done that and the file su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed doesn't seem to be available...
I am very new at this so I could just be overlooking something
Go here....public:revolutionary [RootWiki] and then go down to common problems and questions

Does Revolutionary give me root?
No. You will need to flash this zipfile from recovery.

you click on the name zipfile, thats where i got it from

jmorgan3475

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay I got that now, but how do I get that onto my phone while my phone is still in the bootloader process.

again I'm sorry if I'm not making too much sense I'm not up with the superuser terminology yet...

btw I really appreciate it man

jmorgan3475

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Basically what I need to know is that if I power off and boot my phone normally right now and run it as a disk drive, will it be messed up in any way?

jalaazul

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
This is what I did EXACTLY. Someone else posted this in another thread. The thread announcing that we now have root, I believe.

For visual learners:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uresNXhrX4

For the files you will need and step by step instructions.http://theunlockr.com/2011/08/02/how-to-gain-s-off-flash-a-custom-recovery-and-root-your-android-phone-using-the-revolutionary-method

Be careful entering the beta key it can be tricky if one is not paying attention.
Good luck!

Edit: I have to thank SmokeCrawler because he is the one that originally posted the above info.

Last edited:

zackawee27

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
after you boot in recovery is it supposed to freeze at a screen that shows a device with a red triangle with an explimation point in the middle?

jcprunty

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay I got that now, but how do I get that onto my phone while my phone is still in the bootloader process.

again I'm sorry if I'm not making too much sense I'm not up with the superuser terminology yet...

btw I really appreciate it man
I have never done it from in the boot loader...for me i rebooted the phone and then just copied it over to the sd card after i connected my phone as a disk drive

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
after you boot in recovery is it supposed to freeze at a screen that shows a device with a red triangle with an explimation point in the middle?

Try rebooting and see if you have it. If not then no biggy.

Here is Clockworkmod: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31748198/Clockworkmod 3.0.0.5/PC36IMG.zip

Here is Amon_RA: (I prefer this) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31748198/Amon_Ra 2.3/PC36IMG.zip

It will download as PC36IMG.zip. Leave it as is and put it on your sd card. Go into your bootloader. Turn off fastboot, power off, hold down volume down + power until the bootloader screen pop ups. Don't touch anything and it will scan for that file. when it ask to update you select yes ( volume up) and let it keep going and select yes again and reboot. You now have a custom recovery.

jcprunty

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Try rebooting and see if you have it. If not then no biggy.

Here is Clockworkmod: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31748198/Clockworkmod 3.0.0.5/PC36IMG.zip

Here is Amon_RA: (I prefer this) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31748198/Amon_Ra 2.3/PC36IMG.zip

It will download as PC36IMG.zip. Leave it as is and put it on your sd card. Go into your bootloader. Turn off fastboot, power off, hold down volume down + power until the bootloader screen pop ups. Don't touch anything and it will scan for that file. when it ask to update you select yes ( volume up) and let it keep going and select yes again and reboot. You now have a custom recovery.
any reason you prefer amon-ra over cw?

jmorgan3475

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So I've done everything now, ran Revolutionary, flashed super user, and I'm almost 100% sure my device is not rooted...
After a reboot it looked exactly the same and had all of the same files and data...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance