08-26-2011 12:50 PM
37 12
tools
    so i have a rooted htc evo 2.3 its been rooted for a few months. it had cm7 , clockworkmod recovery v3. 0.0.5.
    after enjoying it for a long time i wanted to update cm7 and now my phone is messed up. when i turn it on it goes straight to fastboot. in fastboot on the top left it says supersonic evt-3 shi p s-off, if that matters.
    please help. i dont care if it wont root anymore i just want it to work. thanks.
    08-21-2011 02:09 AM
    Sounds like there is no rom.

Sent from my EVO 4g using tapatalk.
    08-21-2011 02:25 AM
    Well it turns out my brother purposely selected wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition.
    can i fix this?
    08-21-2011 02:35 AM
    Phrosty is right your rom was erased, now the big question is did you make a nandroid backup?

Sent from Looney Tunes Central!
    08-21-2011 03:29 AM
    does titanium backup count?
    and what if i have no nandroid backup?
    edit;
    i went to recovery and opened clockworkmod recovery.
    restored everything. but my rom is gone.
    awesome
    thanks.
    08-21-2011 03:56 AM
    Cant you just re wipe it data/factory reset and using the custom recovery flash a new rom?
    08-21-2011 04:17 AM
    Like h-cubed said. Try reflashing the rom again. When it works make sure to make a nandroid. That is rule #1 before flashing anything.

No, in this situation titanium doesn't count, sorry. When updating cm7 you don't have to wipe data. Just a little fyi.
    08-21-2011 08:13 AM
    SC alot of devs say nandroid backup is optional. From my experience I thought I bricked my phone. I formatted SD then upgraded to ext 3. wiped everything LOL Somehow I even wiped SD card ext. At the time I wasn't sure how to access SD in recovery to just add ROM. Well I had no backups to get a normal boot. So at this point phone was useless LOL. Thankfully amon_ ra's recovery or most recovery has the usb- ms toggle to access my SD card to add ROM. In my opinion I don't think you really need a backup with that option. Can you explain why backup is needed when your out is usb ms toggle.
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    08-21-2011 11:00 AM
    SC alot of devs say nandroid backup is optional. From my experience I thought I bricked my phone. I formatted SD then upgraded to ext 3. wiped everything LOL Somehow I even wiped SD card ext. At the time I wasn't sure how to access SD in recovery to just add ROM. Well I had no backups to get a normal boot. So at this point phone was useless LOL. Thankfully amon_ ra's recovery or most recovery has the usb- ms toggle to access my SD card to add ROM. In my opinion I don't think you really need a backup with that option. Can you explain why backup is needed when your out is usb ms toggle.
    A great reason to have a backup on your phone is very useful when you are not near a computer and something happens. Next its much easier to have a backup saved and ready to go on your sd card. It's not required but it's very helpful. I keep the stock rom including unrevoked forever s-on tool so if i'm ever out, phone messes up, I can flash to stock and take straight to Sprint without having to go home to unroot.
    08-21-2011 11:29 AM
    I am coming from the 2.3.3. And used the revolutionary to gain s on .Can I use that unrevoked forever tool. ?

08-21-2011 12:01 PM
    In reality, you only need one good nandroid, and then you can switch from ROM to ROM after wiping system, Davlik cache, and doing a factory reset via whatever utility you have. With clockwork you only have to do the system reset and Davlik cache as there is no option for a system wipe. I did my nandroid after rooting, getting rid of the bloatware, and tricking a few other items. If I ever lose my phone, I'll just go into recovery back to a time when I first rooted my phone.

HOWEVER, if I have a ROM I really like, and am making changes that may brick the ROM after days of setting it up, I'd make a nandroid before applying those changes.
    08-21-2011 12:12 PM
    does titanium backup count?
    and what if i have no nandroid backup?
    edit;
    i went to recovery and opened clockworkmod recovery.
    restored everything. but my rom is gone.
    awesome
    thanks.
    Download another ROM to your puter, then drop it onto the SD card again. Everything works on the EVOlution r3chargeD ROM, so that's always an option for you, but someone may have a copy of the PC136 ROM, stock, floating around that they can give you a link to. The recharged ROM is stable enough it may just become my actual nandroid.
    08-21-2011 12:15 PM
    I'm running Amon ra and believe I either misplaced or deleted my stock/unrooted nandroid backup(although I don't remember seeing any "dated" back-ups, perhaps Amon saves them differently?). I currently have one for the rom I'm on now but wondering if I can use the S-ON tool and stock PCIMG to go back to unrooted stock and make a back-up I can use in pinch (saved on both SDcard and PC) in case I need to drop into sprint for whatever reason. Would there be a faster way to do this? Sorry if I'm hijacking but I saw the suggestion from thunderkiss and thought it'd be an excellent way to safeguard in the event of some kind of hardware issue. Would like to try this if I ever get tired of mik2.45 that I'm running now.
    08-21-2011 12:46 PM
    I'm running Amon ra and believe I either misplaced or deleted my stock/unrooted nandroid backup(although I don't remember seeing any "dated" back-ups, perhaps Amon saves them differently?). I currently have one for the rom I'm on now but wondering if I can use the S-ON tool and stock PCIMG to go back to unrooted stock and make a back-up I can use in pinch (saved on both SDcard and PC) in case I need to drop into sprint for whatever reason. Would there be a faster way to do this? Sorry if I'm hijacking but I saw the suggestion from thunderkiss and thought it'd be an excellent way to safeguard in the event of some kind of hardware issue. Would like to try this if I ever get tired of mik2.45 that I'm running now.
    The PCIMG will take you back to stock, yes, but if you had the PCIMG from 2.2 and went to 2.3, the PCIMG is useless I think. I'm not sure, so one of the other guys needs to chime in and straighten this part out. I don't know about Anon RA naming conventions to be honest. Clockwork and the other one I've used (and hate so they will go unnamed) use the date for the name of the backup, but you can name it whatever you want when you save it.

I don't know if you can back up without root...I've honestly never tried it. I always root, then make my changes to a base ROM that I like and make my nandroid afterward.
    08-21-2011 12:58 PM
    I have a similar problem. When i try to flash ROM in recovery it says E: no zip found. Even though I can see the pc36img on the root of the sdcard. The recovery does have the toggle ms option.
    1 more ?...if I want a mikg ROM not a stock ROM do I rename the mikg to PC36img.zip and put on root of sdcard?
    "sent from Ken's Evo3dSuperPhone"
    08-24-2011 06:46 AM
    I have a similar problem. When i try to flash ROM in recovery it says E: no zip found. Even though I can see the pc36img on the root of the sdcard. The recovery does have the toggle ms option.
    1 more ?...if I want a mikg ROM not a stock ROM do I rename the mikg to PC36img.zip and put on root of sdcard?
    When you flash a rom you don't rename it PC36IMG. You download the rom and leave it as is. Only time you rename a zip file to a PC36IMG is when you are going to install from you hboot, example would be recovery, radios or a RUU.
    08-24-2011 07:30 AM
    I put a diff sdcard in that had a ROM on it. It still says E: no zip found. What do i do?

08-24-2011 08:13 AM
    You're not extracting it are you? What recovery are you using?
    08-24-2011 08:26 AM
    Sounds like it has be extracted. Make sure it stays compressed in a .zip file.
    08-24-2011 10:12 AM
    I think its twrp. It's green with confirmations before you flash( are you sure you want to flash zip? Hit power to confirm!) My orange cwm doesn't have this extra confirmations.
    How do i get ROM on it now?

08-24-2011 10:12 AM
    It's just a confirmation so you will select yes. Are you still flashing MikG?
    08-24-2011 10:35 AM
    Yes..I'm going to flash mikg.v2.45. How do i get the ROM onto the sdcard now? I was able to flash su zip that was on the card, so it will flash but there is no ROM.

08-24-2011 01:47 PM
    Hook your phone to the computer and select disk drive on the phone. Drag the rom to the card. su isn't a rom, it gives the stock rom superuser rights. All custom roms have it already
    08-24-2011 02:01 PM
    I tried to flash mikg. It started do flash then said " installation aborted" assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img)
    E:error in/sdcard/mikg-v2.45-signed.zip
    Status 7.
    What does this mean...mikg is bad?
    Should this zip be on the root of the card or android secure or something like that. I see that thus is RA recovery.
    08-24-2011 02:26 PM
    It looks like it was a bad file. Try to download it again and check the md5 sum. Just keep in on the root of the card.
    08-24-2011 02:34 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD