I have experience rooting the Motorola Droid X, so I am not completely new to this scene.

My brother recently upgraded and passed his EVO down to me. The problem? He upgraded the software to Gingerbread without having it rooted. I got the phone from him in July and have been watching the forums for any news, but everything pointed to it being a lost cause for the time being.

Threads here recently make it sound like it is finally possible now but I am not understanding.

There was this post about using Revolutionary. Will that open my phone up to rooting?

How do I figure out what my phones HBOOT is? If it is 15 or 16?

I appreciate the help and patience in advance.

Here is where one of the posts was located: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...p-rooting.html

I followed the guide I just can't get Revolutionary to recognize my device is attached to the computer..
    08-24-2011 04:50 PM
    You have to make sure you have the OEM usb cord for it or else it won't recognize it. I had the same problem before when i tried to put a file on the Evo before.
    boweveljoe likes this.
    08-24-2011 05:47 PM
    To check your HBoot simply power off your phone . Then press down on the volume key and the power key hold them form till you see s white screen . There should be the info you needed . Well for my HTC EVO is is 16 I am not sure all are the same. So double check . Also yes revo will root your phone in a matter of 5 minuts. Hope this helps

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G Tapatalk
    boweveljoe likes this.
    08-24-2011 06:31 PM
    It was using the OEM Cord! Thanks guys! What are some of the top Roms for the EVO?
    08-24-2011 10:25 PM
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...ies-bible.html

There ya go. And I highly recommend checking out the sticked threads, they have a lot of info that is helpful to new rooters.

Have a good one!
    boweveljoe likes this.
    08-24-2011 10:38 PM
    Thanks for putting that together! Very nice thread. What ROM would you recommend as far as speed and battery are concerned? I have used CyanogenMod7 so far. Fast, love the features, but not sure about battery life so far.
    08-25-2011 01:46 PM
    Thanks for putting that together! Very nice thread. What ROM would you recommend as far as speed and battery are concerned? I have used CyanogenMod7 so far. Fast, love the features, but not sure about battery life so far.
    Check out Decks roms. I'm on Deck 1.2.1 stable and I love it. Its based on Cm7 but even lighter. Everything works great and I get hella good battery life.

This is my battery with 48% left.

Keep in mind this was a day at work and we don't have wifi.

A day at home with a good amount of usage and wifi on.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message
    08-25-2011 04:45 PM
    I have experience rooting the Motorola Droid X, so I am not completely new to this scene.

My brother recently upgraded and passed his EVO down to me. The problem? He upgraded the software to Gingerbread without having it rooted. I got the phone from him in July and have been watching the forums for any news, but everything pointed to it being a lost cause for the time being.

Threads here recently make it sound like it is finally possible now but I am not understanding.

There was this post about using Revolutionary. Will that open my phone up to rooting?

How do I figure out what my phones HBOOT is? If it is 15 or 16?

I appreciate the help and patience in advance.

Here is where one of the posts was located: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...p-rooting.html

I followed the guide I just can't get Revolutionary to recognize my device is attached to the computer..
    Do you have usb debugging enabled? If not, it will not recognize the phone. Same thing if you didn't install the HTC drivers on your puter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    08-26-2011 01:17 AM
    What would be a great battery life for the EVO. CyanogenMod7 is using about 10% an hour..and that is me turning the screen on for less than 3 minutes in that time period and checking my gmail.

There has to be something more efficient than this. Liberty Gingerbread .09 for my Droid X would easily give me 1.5 days with moderate use. Is the EVO that much more battery hungry?
    08-26-2011 07:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD