Update from 4.24.651.1 to 4.53.651.1 without losing root or apps

LotsaBS

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I originally used this method when I updated from a stock rooted (Unrevoked) Froyo 4.22.651.2 to Gingerbread 4.24.651.1 on my Evo 4G. I was able to update without flashing a new rom or wiping my phone and was able to keep (restore) root. This procedure also worked in the same way going from 4.24.651.1 to the new software update 4.53.651.1

VERY IMPORTANT:
-This assumes you:
- Have the latest Gingerbread OTA installed 4.24.651.1 on a stock rooted rom
- Have some experience working with flashing things in recovery
- Have NOT deleted/uninstalled ANYTHING in /system (and if you have, that you have re-installed them)
- Have defrosted any bloat you froze with Bloat Freezer or Ti Backup Pro
- Already have S-OFF (Originally used Unrevoked Forever or a version of Unrevoked3 that includes Forever. Update: This process has now also been confirmed to work on a stock rom Evo rooted with Revolutionary as well-thanks jaytee).

Now, save yourself some trouble and FIRST do a nandroid backup, then double-check that you have defrosted or restored any and all factory installed Bloatware. Otherwise the new OTA will not install properly. After the procedure, you can re-freeze, rename or delete the Bloatware again.

Now:

1. Go ahead and download the new OTA like normal on your phone, but DO NOT install it (after it downloads you should get the option to install now or later-choose later).
2. Using a file manager move (dont copy, move) the new OTA zip file from /cache to /sdcard (use Root Explorer if you can't find it with astro etc...because the OTA should download to /cache.)
3. Get a copy of Amon RA Recovery 2.3 and manually install it (place the Amon RA 2.3 PC36IMG.zip in root of your sd card (/sdcard) and flash by restarting your phone while holding power and volume down). Nothing against ClockWorkMod recoveries, or Rom Manager, but for some reason I had problems with them for this process and I tried several versions. So, save yourself some trouble and just use Amon RA 2.3.
4. After Amon RA 2.3 is installed, reboot into recovery. (reboot phone while holding pwr and volume down and choose recovery).
5. Select "Flash zip from SD Card">"Choose zip from sdcard", then find and flash the new OTA zip file that you put in /sdcard.
6. Let the OTA do it's thing, and follow any onscreen instructions. After the OTA is flashed and your phone is booted back up, verify that the OTA took (go to settings>about phone>software information). You should see Android Version 2.3.3, Software number 4.53.651.2 etc. Then go to settings > applications > and make sure that FastBoot is disabled (re-enable this when you are done with the whole process if you want to).
7. Reflash Amon RA 2.3 manually again...yes again (installing the OTA will break Amon RA recovery and will need to be reinstalled. See step 3).
8. Reboot (you can now delete or move the Amon RA 2.3 PC36IMG.zip from /sdcard if you want to.) and place the latest Gingerbread superuser file (attached) in the root of your SD card (/sdcard). Earlier superuser versions may not not work. Again, save yourself some trouble and just use this one (su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip)
9. Power off and reboot back into Amon RA 2.3 recovery.
10. Select "Flash zip from SD Card">"Choose zip from sdcard". Then find the attached Gingerbread compatible superuser file that you just copied to the /sdcard and flash it to restore root permissions to your phone. Reboot and you should be good to go.

Special thanks to modplan for posting the original guide http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...thout-flashing-new-rom-wiping-your-phone.html and creating Bloat Freezer!

I am now updated to 4.53.651.1, still have root and S-OFF, didn't loose any installed apps and all apps that I have tried including all apps that require root work fine.

Last edited:

jaytee

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Re: Update from 4.24.651.1 to 4.53.651.1 without losing root or a

Thanks... Worked like a charm with my stock rooted evo with revolutionary.

ssrjazz#AC

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

Thanks... Worked like a charm with my stock rooted evo with revolutionary.

I must be missing something. When I do the update with my stock evo 4g and revolutionary, I lose wifi and 4G after the update.

LotsaBS

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I must be missing something. When I do the update with my stock evo 4g and revolutionary, I lose wifi and 4G after the update.

My 3g, 4g and wifi work fine. And I used this process for the last 2 updates. Might try restoring the nandroid backup you made before the update and verify that your wifi and 4g were both working at that time. If so, go thru the procedure once again.

upatnite2

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

My 3g, 4g and wifi work fine. And I used this process for the last 2 updates. Might try restoring the nandroid backup you made before the update and verify that your wifi and 4g were both working at that time. If so, go thru the procedure once again.
I had the same exact problem. I lost 4G and wifi after going to 4.53.651.1 last night.
-I used revolutionary 2 weeks ago to get root.
Luckily, before attempting to get 4.53.651.1, I had "ROM Manager" and did a complete backup.
I restored back to 4.24.651, and have wifi and 4G back again.
Later today, I'll prob. attempt to flash the 4.53.651.1 update again..
Maybe, it's better to un-root first, get the update, and then root again? Just a thought.

charlo75

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I originally used this method when I updated from a stock rooted (Unrevoked) Froyo 4.22.651.2 to Gingerbread 4.24.651.1 on my Evo 4G. I was able to update without flashing a new rom or wiping my phone and was able to keep (restore) root. This procedure also worked in the same way going from 4.24.651.1 to the new software update 4.53.651.1

VERY IMPORTANT:
-This assumes you:
- Have the latest Gingerbread OTA installed 4.24.651.1 on a stock rooted rom
- Have some experience working with flashing things in recovery
- Have NOT deleted/uninstalled ANYTHING in /system (and if you have, that you have re-installed them)
- Have defrosted any bloat you froze with Bloat Freezer or Ti Backup Pro
- Already have S-OFF (Originally used Unrevoked Forever or a version of Unrevoked3 that includes Forever. Update: This process has now also been confirmed to work on a stock rom Evo rooted with Revolutionary as well-thanks jaytee).

Now, save yourself some trouble and FIRST do a nandroid backup, then double-check that you have defrosted or restored any and all factory installed Bloatware. Otherwise the new OTA will not install properly. After the procedure, you can re-freeze, rename or delete the Bloatware again.

Now:

1. Go ahead and download the new OTA like normal on your phone, but DO NOT install it (after it downloads you should get the option to install now or later-choose later).
2. Using a file manager move (dont copy, move) the new OTA zip file from /cache to /sdcard (use Root Explorer if you can't find it with astro etc...because the OTA should download to /cache.)
3. Get a copy of Amon RA Recovery 2.3 and manually install it (place the Amon RA 2.3 PC36IMG.zip in root of your sd card (/sdcard) and flash by restarting your phone while holding power and volume down). Nothing against ClockWorkMod recoveries, or Rom Manager, but for some reason I had problems with them for this process and I tried several versions. So, save yourself some trouble and just use Amon RA 2.3.
4. After Amon RA 2.3 is installed, reboot into recovery. (reboot phone while holding pwr and volume down and choose recovery).
5. Select "Flash zip from SD Card">"Choose zip from sdcard", then find and flash the new OTA zip file that you put in /sdcard.
6. Let the OTA do it's thing, and follow any onscreen instructions. After the OTA is flashed and your phone is booted back up, verify that the OTA took (go to settings>about phone>software information). You should see Android Version 2.3.3, Software number 4.53.651.2 etc. Then go to settings > applications > and make sure that FastBoot is disabled (re-enable this when you are done with the whole process if you want to).
7. Reflash Amon RA 2.3 manually again...yes again (installing the OTA will break Amon RA recovery and will need to be reinstalled. See step 3).
8. Reboot (you can now delete or move the Amon RA 2.3 PC36IMG.zip from /sdcard if you want to.) and place the latest Gingerbread superuser file (attached) in the root of your SD card (/sdcard). Earlier superuser versions may not not work. Again, save yourself some trouble and just use this one (su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip)
9. Power off and reboot back into Amon RA 2.3 recovery.
10. Select "Flash zip from SD Card">"Choose zip from sdcard". Then find the attached Gingerbread compatible superuser file that you just copied to the /sdcard and flash it to restore root permissions to your phone. Reboot and you should be good to go.

Special thanks to modplan for posting the original guide http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...thout-flashing-new-rom-wiping-your-phone.html and creating Bloat Freezer!

I am now updated to 4.53.651.1, still have root and S-OFF, didn't loose any installed apps and all apps that I have tried including all apps that require root work fine.
I downloaded the OTA but I can't find it. Where would it be? I looked in the /cache folder but it's empty.

Thanks in advance!

KyleBoyer

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

This was awesome except I accidentally screwed up my teeter.apk. I was hoping someone could post that so I can fix it and update? Please?

lva6000

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Ive done everything just like the instruction says here, but when I reboot right after installing the OTA, HTC sense doesn't load and I have to keep force closing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol