Rooted and Installed some Apps. Did I Miss Anything?

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I used Revolution to root a few days ago. My main reasons were for the WiFi Tether and to free up space on the phone's internal memory.

I have so far installed the following Apps:

Superuser - Can't leave home without it if you want to do anything with the phone;

ROM Manager - Allows for easy backup of what ever ROM is on the phone (even Stock) and allows for easy installation and switching of ROMs;

Titanium Backup - As you need a way to back up your Apps and data if switching ROMs (Have MyBackup also as I figure out which I like better);

CacheMate for Root - Frees up space on the phone by clearing unneeded cache files;

Move2SD Enabler - This forces more Apps to be moved to the SD card which you would not be able to do otherwise;

SDMaid - Clears up orphan files to free up memory;

WiFi Tether - Name says it all; and

LBE Privacy Guard - Allows you to take control of the permissions that some of these Apps request.

I was originally going to try to delete the bloatware on my phone but since I have freed up some space I do not see the need. Freezing does not make sense to me as you are not getting rid of the App.

Are there any other Apps people can recommend to make the phone better? I am not a developer nor am I someone who wants to go deep into the Android OS.

At this point I am also going to hold off for a bit before installing a new ROM. What are the ones out there that improve the function of the phone that you have used and does one provide benefits over another?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Doc

dlphntat

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I rooted, and liked the changes, but still ran afoul of the 'low on space' memory error.
So I loaded Cyanogen on it, and have been pretty happy. It's a big difference in some of the things you are able to do, and the only thing I have found any issue with is that sometimes the GPS doesn't find you as closely as it would before.
I have considered some other ROMS, but I am going to keep rolling with this one for now.

MEZOCLONE

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I used Revolution to root a few days ago. My main reasons were for the WiFi Tether and to free up space on the phone's internal memory.

I have so far installed the following Apps:

Superuser - Can't leave home without it if you want to do anything with the phone;

ROM Manager - Allows for easy backup of what ever ROM is on the phone (even Stock) and allows for easy installation and switching of ROMs;

Titanium Backup - As you need a way to back up your Apps and data if switching ROMs (Have MyBackup also as I figure out which I like better);

CacheMate for Root - Frees up space on the phone by clearing unneeded cache files;

Move2SD Enabler - This forces more Apps to be moved to the SD card which you would not be able to do otherwise;

SDMaid - Clears up orphan files to free up memory;

WiFi Tether - Name says it all; and

LBE Privacy Guard - Allows you to take control of the permissions that some of these Apps request.

I was originally going to try to delete the bloatware on my phone but since I have freed up some space I do not see the need. Freezing does not make sense to me as you are not getting rid of the App.

Are there any other Apps people can recommend to make the phone better? I am not a developer nor am I someone who wants to go deep into the Android OS.

At this point I am also going to hold off for a bit before installing a new ROM. What are the ones out there that improve the function of the phone that you have used and does one provide benefits over another?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Doc

I would suggest partitioning your sd card to free up internal memory. Backup all of your content on the sd card to your computer or a external drive, partitioning will erase everything on the sd card! Boot into recovery select advanced>partition>Ext3 1024-2048mb depending on size of card>swap 32-64mb>copy all of your files back to sd card then wipe and flash rom of your choice and use titanium to restore you apps. Partitioning the sd card may take a while so don't worry if you sit there for 10 min or so. This will allow you to store your apps in the ext3 partition giving you more internal memory.

Here is a link, watch this video first to give you an idea of what you're doing.....

How to Partition Your SDCARD - YouTube

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
apps: check out SetCPU (allows for under or overclocking) and WiMax Notifier (must have app for Evo).

Rom: check out Swagged Out Stock. It is the updated Evo stock Sense ROM with bloatware removed, and a sweet kernel that treats your battery real well.