Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
RZ_Avatar_nice.gif

---------------------------------
OVERVIEW
*RZrecovery*:
-=overclock settings=-
-=Arbitrary update.zip selection with folder support. (do not have to rename to update.zip)=-
-=rom.tgz support (of course)=-
-=Unsigned update.zip support=-
-=ability to wipe system, data, boot, dalvik-cache, battery stats, cache=-
-=No automatic backup when installing a rom.tgz=-
-=Ability to install APK's, IMG's, ZIP's, TAR's, TGZ's from the same menu=-
-=Wipe battery statistics=-
-=Battery charging!=-
-=Delete/Compress existing backups=-
-=Ability to root any ROM as plugin (with superuser.apk)=-
-=13 predefined colors + random color selection=-
-=RootzWiki theme=-
-=Rave mode: random color every time screen is redrawn=-
-=preinstall update.zip menu=-
-=battery status (charging status, temperature and charge level) display=-
-=android_secure nandroid / wipe support=-
-=option to auto reboot following backup/restore/install=-
-=Hold volume keys to scroll=-
-=Touch screen scrolling on some devices=-
-=Davlik bytecode verification disable/enable as plugin=-
-=Queue up to 50 ZIP's, APK's, TAR's, IMG's for install=-
-=Fully automated install menu=-
-=Ability to reboot device from shell=-
-=Stamp nandroid backup with version of android that is being backed up=-
-=SD-EXT nandroid support=-
-=Nandroid will ask if you would like to force operation with insufficient battery=-
-=Fix Permissions=-
-=Full screen experience=-
-=Plugins! (see other thread)=-

CHANGELOG
2.1.3 ----- Added "fix_permissions" from clockwork to the ROM tweaks menu Updated busybox to 1.19.3 Increased the number of rows on the screen to 43 (full screen at 480x800) Moved progress bars to bottom of the screen Added option to auto reboot following existing nandroid compression Add ability to reset the progress bar from shell scripts Added progress bar reset command to end of pipeline (nandroid function that draws progrerss bars) - should prevent it from ever drawing out bounds Take away all nandroid progress bars if progress is not shown - I left some indeterminates in there by mistake Clean up a lot of nandroid - should be slightly faster since it will only make certain calculations if necessary Added recovery log files to the read & write files routines so that logs aren't lost when wiping cache Added plugins system/"API" - this will have its own thread Moved nandroid perform restore to top of the list (select it without choosing a backup to restore the latest) Added sd-ext suppot for nandroid Implemented a zip/img/apk/tar install queue Leaving the preinstall menu will return to file selection, not the home screen Added option to reboot following install Changed preinstall menu to allow for unattended operation, like nandroid Repackaged ROM Tweaks menu items as individual plugins and made an update.zip to install them Root ROM plugin now includes superuser.apk Tagged backups with the version of android (if available), should help make them stand out Added menu to inform user when they do not have sufficient battery power for nandroid, option to continue or abort Added ability to reboot device to android from the shell (reboot_android) 2.1.2 ----- Added gzip compression option for nandroid Added cache support for nandroid Added ability to auto reboot after successful nandroid operation Added timer to nandroid Added diskspace required/available/used readout to nandroid Added ability to delete nandroid backups Added check if nandroid reports out of space, to ask the user if they'd like to delete a backup Added question function to get yes/no answers from users (used in nandroid out of space) Added confirm question function used for wipe menu Sort nandroid backup selection list Rewrote wipe menu to use new confirm routine Added preference "savepoints" throughout system to try to ensure custom colors/overclock/icon is not lost Added ability to compress an existing nandroid backup Fixed ext3 wipe erroneous failure on some devices Added progress bar reset commands to installer to compenstae for update.zips that don't reset it Removed grey rootzwiki theme Added cache wipe to preinstall menu nandroid times & sizes (Nexus S 4G @ 1200 MHz - boot, data, cache, system, android-secure) uncompressed backup: used 512 MB SD space, 130 seconds compressed backup: used 328 MB SD space, 514 seconds uncompressed restore: unpacked 512 MB, 118 seconds compressed restore: unpacked 328 MB, 131 seconds

BACKGROUND
Last year I made RZRecovery for the original Droid. It was a huge success, since then I have been asked to port to other devices. So here,
about 1 year later (after a lot of work... Remember, I *do not* know C), I have done just that. This will bring all the features of the old
RZR plus a few new ones including the epic rom.tgz install format from the days of yore to any device. I have built this recovery
specifically to handle all devices without the need for a recompile (except for Tegra2-based devices, they have to be recompiled because of
some libc bugs). I have made img files for a few devices to start with:

CONFIRMED
HTC Thunderbolt
Samsung Nexus S
Samsung Nexus S 4G
HTC Incredible/Incredible S/ Incredible 2
HTC EVO 4G
HTC Ace
HTC Leo
T-mobile myTouch 4G

EXPERIMENTAL
HTC Dream/Sapphire/Magic
HTC Click/Tattoo
HTC Aria
HTC Wildfire
HTC Legend
HTC Desire/Desire CDMA/Desire S/ Desire HD
HTC Hero/Hero CDMA
LG Optimus S
LG Optimus 1
LG Optimus V
LG Optimus 2X
Motorola Cliq/ Cliq XT
Motorola Backflip
Motorola Atrix - capacitive buttons don't work

PLEASE: IF ANY OF THESE EXPERIMENTAL BUILDS WORK, PLEASE POST AND LET ME KNOW SO THAT I MAY MOVE THEM TO THE CONFIRMED SECTION

SCREENSHOTS
1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

CREDITS
(without any of these individuals/organizations none of this could be possible)
CyanogenMod - for being completely open and having a huge database of device information
koush - for clockworkmod, where I got support for other partition types and filesystems
rbox - for repeat scroll and touch screen scrolling
cvpcs - for helping with anything I have ever asked
slayher - for showing me how to enable capacitive buttons on HTC devices
bekit - for showing me the bionic commits to get recovery built for tegra2's
trevorj - for the original battery charge knowledge
my wife - for giving me all the time I needed to get this done
all the testers for testing and encouragement!

DOWNLOADS ***NOTE***: Only the EVO 4G link will be posted here, see link to original thread at bottom of post for the other ones. ;)
I have tried to create an update.zip template for myself that will correctly flash recovery on any device, but if it fails, you can always extract the IMG from the zip and fastboot it or use something similar to flash it.
If the device is listed in the experimental section, it means it is untested. I don't know if it will even boot.

DISCLAIMER: Not that this needs to be said, but by downloading any of the files below, you take full responsibility for what happens with
them. Make sure you have a way out if something goes wrong. The devices above are in the experimental section for a reason!

This is an update.zip files meant to be run from recovery. It is an NOT Hboot file.

EVO 4G: RZR-2.1.3-supersonic-update.zip

SOURCE
https://github.com/raidzero/RZrecovery/tree/gingerbread

PORTING
Clone the above git repo into an AOSP source tree at bootable/recovery. Make a device setup (or use one from CM) and let it go. You might
have to compile the entire system before you can make just a recovery img. If using CM, you can probably do

Code:
make out/target/product/DEVICE/recovery.img
and it will compile the required software to make recovery. I wish I could say it is that easy. For many devices it is, but for ones that
use newer technology like samsung's new initramfs format, you're on your own trying to make a kernel with a built in initramfs containing
RZR - you have to compile the kernel and build the ramdisk into it, instead of marrying a ramdisk img to a zImage into a recovery.img, you
get a zImage file, but it contains the kernel as well as the ramdisk.

WALKTHROUGH
Volume up/down - scroll (can hold down to repeat scroll)
HTC - touch screen - scroll
Home - select
Back/Power - back

Breakdown of Menus
Main screen Reboot android Reboot recovery Reboot bootloader Power off Wipe menu Wipe all - wipe everything on the device except recovery Wipe system (the ROM) Wipe data (your applications and settings) Wipe .android-secure (other applications and settings on sdcard) Wipe boot (the main android kernel) Wipe cache Wipe battery stats Wipe dalvik cache (cache of optimized dalvik executables) Mount menu Mount/unmount system (the ROM) Mount/unmount data (apps and settings) Mount/unmount sdcard Enable/Disable USB Mass storage Nandroid menu Nandroid Backup Perform backup choose boot,data,android-secure,system,cache to back up select if you want to auto reboot upon successful backup Nandroid restore Choose backup choose boot,data,android-secure,system,cache to restore select if you want to auto reboot upon successful restore Compress existing backup Choose backup perform compression Delete backup Choose backup Perform deletion Install from sdcard choose item to install: APK, ZIP, IMG, (must end in rec.img or boot.img) .TAR, .TGZ Preinstall Menu Toggle backup before install (make a quick backup of the device naming it preinstall-date-time) Toggle wipe data Toggle wipe cache Add to install queue Clear install queue Abort install Perform install(s) if(APK) Abort APK install Install to system Install to data Extras menu Custom Colors Random - randomly generated color, will save to sdcard Any other color - will save to sdcard Rave mode - a totally random color each time the screen is redrawn (every key press) Show battery status - will show charge status, level, temperature if available Recovery overclocking Kernel will report the available CPU slots, pick one and it will set the max to your selection. Saves to sdcard Plugins (if plugins are installed)

---------------------------------------------
*copied and pasted from original thread HERE*
*all thanks goes to the dev known as raidzero*

Last edited:
Reactions: outlaw07

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Installing:

-Rename the .zip to update.zip (make sure it's not named update.zip.zip)

-Place the .zip on the root of your sd card

-Boot into your current custom recovery

-Go to the install from SD menu

-Select it to flash and let it do it's thing

-After which reboot the system just to make sure everything went alright

-Once rebooted go ahead and power down the phone

-Hold the power and volume down button at the same time to go to HBoot so you can boot into recovery (stock Sense ROM only...most custom ROMs have a option in the power down menu to reboot into recovery)

-Boot into to recovery to make sure the new one stuck

-Once confirmed your new recovery has been successfully flashed either make a back up or reboot your system

-Enjoy :D

Last edited:
Reactions: brimostudios

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
F.A.Qs:

When I make a backup where does it go?

-It will be located in the "nandroid" folder on your SD card. If you've used Amon_RA before then this folder is already sitting on your SD card.

The power button doesn't work when I want select something...how do I select something?

-Actually the "Home" button is what you use to select files. *sidenote* You can also use the back button to help navigate the recovery.

Last edited:

outlaw07

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Recovery] RZrecovery v2.1.1 (11-03-2011)

Awesome, glad to hear it. If you could, post any problems you might run into. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Well do the full wipe works great and in the all system in it works great so far no problems at all and this seem faster than ra or clockmod and using the soft toggle keys is better then hitting to off button :)

outlaw07

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Just to let u know I found one problem last night when I was installing a zip from sd card just before that part there wasatus back up before install I did that and had an error nanroid exited with status 39 any ideas on this:D

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to let u know I found one problem last night when I was installing a zip from sd card just before that part there wasatus back up before install I did that and had an error nanroid exited with status 39 any ideas on this:D

I'm not sure what you mean by "there wastus back up before install". Please clarify so I can properly report this back to Raid. :)

outlaw07

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Ok before the install from SD card there is a{ Back Up Before you install from SD Card} This is where i got the error form. That's what I meant.

Reactions: CaMelGuY1337

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey Camelguy,

Good to see ya rocking the house still!

Sent from Looney Tunes Central!

Hey what's up man, been a minute. Hope all is well with ya. :) Yeah man, definitely still here. Had a rough last little bit, but things are starting to smooth back out so I'm thankful for that. Glad to be posting regularly again.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
@Outlaw: Raid said this issue will be fixed in the next release (2.1.2). Just waiting on him to release and I'll update the op. :)

Reactions: outlaw07

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Can we wipe SD ext with this recovery? And can we partition the SD?

While it doesn't have a specific option to wipe wipe the SDEXT, I'm sure this recovery wipes everything it needs to ensure clean flashes. Sadly I couldn't find any option to partition, hopefully that will be the next release. :)

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

OP will be updated with latest goods when I get home and can move everything over. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC