customer bricked his phone

Capt.Cha

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
so i work at a sprint store and im the only person here who knows how to root and whatnot. so i primarily only know a few devices and ive never owned an evo. so this guy walks in and my coworkers had told him i was the store's "phone genius"...too bad i dont know anything about evos as far as roots/recoveries go. i guess he had gotten the phone on craigslist (shocker) and it was rooted. guy tries to unroot it and...its stuck at the white "htc evo 4g" screen.when going into the bootloader it tells me theres no image, and it wont connect to htc synch as far as i can tell. can anyone point me to the thread or program i need to get this thing working again for this guy? thanks very much

Capt.Cha

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
just tried it, says s-off. what is that btw? ive had people mention it to me before but never actually got a solid explanation. and thanks for the help man

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
S-off means anything that is flashed to the phone doesn't need a electronic signature to be installed. This is essentially what rooting a phone does. Give me a few mins and I will give you some help to go from here.

Quick question, is he still wanting to go back stock with s-on or just to a stock rom?

DumpedDuce Approves This Message Via HTC Evo 4g

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
OK lets get down to business now that I'm done with some paper work and on my laptop.

So we have s-off. If he just wants to be on a stock rom and not worry about being completely unrooting the phone here are a few easy simple ways to do so.

Use this if you want to stay rooted but be on a stock rom.

1. Download a custom recovery here RA v2.3 and download the rom you want to flash to the phone. Here is the latest stock rom

2. Once the files has been download, take the micro sd card out of the evo and use the adapter to open it on your pc. Move the files to the root of the sd card (root as in no folders) and rename the firsts one to PC36IMG.zip and make sure not to mistakenly name it PC36IMG.zip.zip it's a common problem if on XP I believe it is or might be Win7 don't rememeber which one does it.

(Note: the rom does not have to be on the root of the sd card and do not name this one pc36img.zip)

3. Replace the sd card back into the phone. Hold volume down and power button to boot into hboot. Since you have placed this file to the root of your sd card and renamed it to PC36IMG.zip it will automatically look for this file and once it finds it, it will pop up saying recovery and ask if you want to install. Hit volume up to install the custom recovery. Once done, hit volume down button to decline restarting the device.

4.After hitting the volume button down, navigate down to recovery and select it with the power button. Now it should reboot into the custom recovery you just installed. Taking that you are now in your custom recovery you can now flash the rom you downloaded earlier. Before flashing, make sure to wipe data, cache, and such. Now just follow the menu's and navigate to the zip file and flash it to the phone.

5. Once flashing is done, reboot the phone normally and you should be back in business.

Use this if you just want the phone backup and going asap. (Not really recommended)

1.Download the latest stock rom Here is the latest stock rom

2. Rename the file to PC36IMG.zip and place on the root of the sd card.

3. Boot into Hboot and it will look for the PC36IMG.zip. Once it finds it, it will ask you if you want to install it. Hit volume up for yes and let it update it. This will take a few mins to do so. After it finishes installing it will ask you if you want to reboot the device. Hit volume up to reset the device.

4. You should be back up and running after it reboots.

If you want to unroot completely use this.

Download this Latest Stock RUU

Once downloaded, its a .exe file, click and install. Then follow the on screen instructions to take it back to its completely stock form with s-on.

Last edited: