Does a rooted EVO mean wifi for all?

Sovvy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, a Pre guy here with a question. If you root the EVO, does that enable you to get around the 30 dollars a month for the wifi hotspot feature?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It should... although others are reporting that the HTC USB tether isn't blocked on the Evo (it is on the Hero) without root. You can install wifi tether if its rooted.

SilverZero

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The distinction between USB tethering and wifi tethering (aka hotspot) is becoming more clear as users are getting out there and testing on those demo models and I/O gift phones. In short, it sounds like USB tethering is already built in - or at worst possible via PDAnet - so you can connect a single laptop to the Evo by USB and use the Evo as a modem. The wifi hotspot function which provides up to 8 wireless devices with internet access through the Evo is the function for which Sprint is charging $30/month.

Additionally, rooting the phone won't necessarily get you around the multi-device hotspot fee, as Sprint can control that connection (evidently). This is a gray area as I don't think anybody has actually tried it, and the rooting process is still privately held until after launch.

Last edited:

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be letting a couple of those long 45 minutes to an hour Youtube HQ videos buffer all the way just to use up more bandwidth when I have this phone. Heh.

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be letting a couple of those long 45 minutes to an hour Youtube HQ videos buffer all the way just to use up more bandwidth when I have this phone. Heh.

Well "Heh" to you. People like you are what causes network slowdowns for people who really need it for valid purposes as well as will cause lockdowns (or fees) for future services. You probably don't recycle either, Heh!

SilverZero

May 21, 2010
Visit site
So by your logic I shouldn't do things I'm allowed to do even if I'm paying for it? Way to be.

I think the issue is with whether you're doing something just to spite another party, with the added detriment to other users' experiences. Whether you can isn't the same as whether you should.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not going to argue semantics here but, whatever. It's not like it's going to be the only thing I'll do with my phone, just one thing I'll do with my phone to see how it works out.

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I can also turn on my kitchen faucet and let it run 24 hours a day for free. Neither help to conserve limited resources. If you need it, use it, but try not to waste it.

anthonylokrn

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I can also turn on my kitchen faucet and let it run 24 hours a day for free. Neither help to conserve limited resources. If you need it, use it, but try not to waste it.

Nice logic.

I live in a condominium complex and the water bill is included in our monthly condo fees. Just like the $10 data fee--it is at a set price. But if people start overusing water, then our monthly condo fees will go up.

apexi350z

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to root with PC36IMG.ZIP and Toast's method.

unrEVOked will work by itself. The root will stick when you rebot, and the Wireless Tether will work with the pre14 release.

RikusHaven

May 12, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to root with PC36IMG.ZIP and Toast's method.

unrEVOked will work by itself. The root will stick when you rebot, and the Wireless Tether will work with the pre14 release.

I know that silly. But what if I want to flash a ROM later on? As far as I know, and from Toast himself, both methods are not the same. I can link you to his post over at XDA-Developers. To each his own. I'm still waiting to see which ROM I will apply. =]