Hey all, a Pre guy here with a question. If you root the EVO, does that enable you to get around the 30 dollars a month for the wifi hotspot feature?
    05-26-2010 10:43 PM
    I have a Pre as well and this is the one thing keeping me from buying an EVO the day it comes out.
    05-27-2010 10:49 AM
    It should... although others are reporting that the HTC USB tether isn't blocked on the Evo (it is on the Hero) without root. You can install wifi tether if its rooted.
    05-27-2010 01:32 PM
    The distinction between USB tethering and wifi tethering (aka hotspot) is becoming more clear as users are getting out there and testing on those demo models and I/O gift phones. In short, it sounds like USB tethering is already built in - or at worst possible via PDAnet - so you can connect a single laptop to the Evo by USB and use the Evo as a modem. The wifi hotspot function which provides up to 8 wireless devices with internet access through the Evo is the function for which Sprint is charging $30/month.

Additionally, rooting the phone won't necessarily get you around the multi-device hotspot fee, as Sprint can control that connection (evidently). This is a gray area as I don't think anybody has actually tried it, and the rooting process is still privately held until after launch.
    05-27-2010 10:58 PM
    I've never seen anyone get charged for the wifi tether through root.
    05-27-2010 11:49 PM
    stay below five gigs a month dont raise a red flag and you should be fine...
    05-28-2010 03:13 AM
    stay below five gigs a month dont raise a red flag and you should be fine...
    But thats what you're paying the extra 10 for, truly unlimited data. You could tether 10 gigs and they can't do anything if you're paying the premium data charge.
    05-28-2010 04:31 AM
    I'm going to be letting a couple of those long 45 minutes to an hour Youtube HQ videos buffer all the way just to use up more bandwidth when I have this phone. Heh.
    05-30-2010 12:36 AM
    I'm going to be letting a couple of those long 45 minutes to an hour Youtube HQ videos buffer all the way just to use up more bandwidth when I have this phone. Heh.

Well "Heh" to you. People like you are what causes network slowdowns for people who really need it for valid purposes as well as will cause lockdowns (or fees) for future services. You probably don't recycle either, Heh!
    05-30-2010 08:57 AM
    So by your logic I shouldn't do things I'm allowed to do even if I'm paying for it? Way to be.
    05-30-2010 07:36 PM
    So by your logic I shouldn't do things I'm allowed to do even if I'm paying for it? Way to be.
    I think the issue is with whether you're doing something just to spite another party, with the added detriment to other users' experiences. Whether you can isn't the same as whether you should.
    05-30-2010 08:22 PM
    Not going to argue semantics here but, whatever. It's not like it's going to be the only thing I'll do with my phone, just one thing I'll do with my phone to see how it works out.
    05-30-2010 08:29 PM
    I can also turn on my kitchen faucet and let it run 24 hours a day for free. Neither help to conserve limited resources. If you need it, use it, but try not to waste it.
    06-05-2010 11:15 PM
    I can also turn on my kitchen faucet and let it run 24 hours a day for free. Neither help to conserve limited resources. If you need it, use it, but try not to waste it.
    Nice logic.

I live in a condominium complex and the water bill is included in our monthly condo fees. Just like the $10 data fee--it is at a set price. But if people start overusing water, then our monthly condo fees will go up.
    06-06-2010 01:05 AM
    By the way... I'm going to drop this off here...

FIXED: Tethering in Stock ROM w/ Root - xda-developers
    anthonylokrn likes this.
    06-06-2010 05:29 PM

Omg awesome! Tried it out and wifi tethering finally works!

Unrevoked and just installed wifi tethering. Setup settings and bam!
    06-06-2010 06:47 PM
    Does unrevoked stop me from buying protected apps from the market place?
    06-06-2010 10:07 PM

Worked great for me. =]

This is what I did. I did not do OTA. Rooted using PC36IMG.zip// Toast's method. Then used unrEVOked. And installed 2.0.2-pre14, and everything went fine. =]
    06-06-2010 10:18 PM
    You don't need to root with PC36IMG.ZIP and Toast's method.

unrEVOked will work by itself. The root will stick when you rebot, and the Wireless Tether will work with the pre14 release.
    06-07-2010 10:31 AM
    You don't need to root with PC36IMG.ZIP and Toast's method.

unrEVOked will work by itself. The root will stick when you rebot, and the Wireless Tether will work with the pre14 release.
    I know that silly. But what if I want to flash a ROM later on? As far as I know, and from Toast himself, both methods are not the same. I can link you to his post over at XDA-Developers. To each his own. I'm still waiting to see which ROM I will apply. =]
    06-07-2010 01:31 PM
    But that's pretty stupid "logic" considering you're metered on water usage. Data on this cell phone is unlimited. Wow.
    06-08-2010 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD