Rooting- What about OTA updates?

gianthobbit

May 31, 2010
Visit site
New to android and getting the 4G and since rooting wipes the phone of all data I want to do it first thing tomorrow. I have heard however that Sprint will have an OTA update right away to address some issues (SD card). If I root my phone do you lose the ability to do these OTA updates?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
i would wait on the OTA update, get confirmation that it doesn't mess up the exploit currently out. There is a chance that it will block root, and there is a chance that it won't. There have been minor OTA updates that haven't messed up the exploits in the past. We just won't know on this one until its out.

bagger

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Aren't they saying that this OTA update will be pushed to the phones?

Wouldn't that mean phones will get updated as soon as the update gets sent out w/o any user interface?

..... and if that is the case, wouldn't it be wise to root asap to protect against any possible patches that block the exploit???

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Rufflez you the man... Lets say this OTA does Block the Exploit Whats the worse that will happen... it backs up as regular user again correct no bricking or what not

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
I too want to root my phone right away when I get it, but am also concerned about OTA updates and also about the ability to eventually update it to Froyo 2.2 when it becomes available - any advice?

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Rufflez you the man... Lets say this OTA does Block the Exploit Whats the worse that will happen... it backs up as regular user again correct no bricking or what not

It would depend how far "in depth" the over the air update goes. If it goes into the core files of the Linux base there is a chance it might brick the phone if it is rooted when you update. I doubt the fix will be that far in depth, due to android 2.1 being android 2.1... the glitch is probably between HTC sense and some of the new 4g programming..Don't quote me on that.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it would brick the phone, haven't heard about that happening. I have heard that happen to Hacked Wii's though. The root exploit blocks the OTA updates... if it doesn't, theres a simple 1 line of code you could do to block them (basically, move the file so that the system doesn't find it when it gets pushed out).

Here is my recommendation:
root as soon as you feel comfortable. Maybe don't do it in the store (even though technically you can ;)) check here to make sure it was successful for release day Evo's first. Then, do it. Make sure you do it before the OTA is pushed out though cause it could potentially block the exploit and a new one would be needed. However... I don't think it will, and here's why. Practically the same exploit for the Evo was found to work on the Hero for 2.1 root (TODAY!!!). It seems like its a general 2.1 exploit, not one specific to the Evo. Potentially, it may be the same or similar exploit found for the Incredible and it could potentially be modified like it was for the Hero to work on the Eris (those poor souls). Its just a theory, but it could be an exploit bigger than the 3hr time-to-hack was.
Unfortunately:
If you root, you technically void warrantee
You can unroot via flashing an RUU (which is windows only) and none is publicly available to my knowledge.
Should you have a major issue with your brand new rooted Evo... you may not be able to do anything
Fortunately, since there aren't very many appearance changes with just rooting the phone, you could probably remove SU Permissions and no one would be the wiser on Sprints end.

So there you go. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions. I may be scarce through Wednesday since I need to take my Pharmacy Boards so I can get a J-O-B and study my arse off, but if I browse on here for a mental break, I'll see what I can do. If you couldn't have guessed... I'm not a programmer, just someone who gets most of this stuff :)

C01E

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Eh, Being all I want to do Is strip out some of the stock apps and then install wavesecure as root to keep it from being disabled, I can wait, Why risk issues being its so un-sure if rooting works post-ota update ya know...

gianthobbit

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I was able to root using this: unrevoked

Worked fine for me.

Now I want to put the wifi hostpost app onhttp://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

I dont see one for the Evo however, is there any other way?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci