Guide to rooting phone with HBOOT 2.18.0001

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Taking no credit to this one. Did root my friends phone using this method & its a lifesaver in fact being that i didnt have to roll back the update on the phone or do something else... So heres for those who have the slightest clue & are wondering how to root their phones with this HBOOT. Only thing is that this doesnt gain s-off but just unlocks the bootloader rest of the work is done from a command line promt. Read up & have fun. Btw it is possible to flash other forms of recoveries such as amon_ra or twrp being your preference...
You CAN Root the new Hboot, and you don't need s-off. (strictly for those who don't know and need help)

thanks to the cwm team for there beautiful recovery, and chainsDD for SU

1. head over to htc dev
HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader

2. create a account or sign in (you must use your real email address)

3. go to unlock bootloader

4.Select "all other supported Models"

5.Follow the directions and install all the software provided and you will end up with a unlocked bootloader with s-on

6. enter FASTBOOT again on your phone

7.open the command prompt again on your pc

8.Download this recovery from the CWM TEAM and place it in the same folder as fastboot (where you put unlock_code.bin)
http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.2-supersonic.img

9. for simplicity's sake rename the above file to recovery.img

10.in your command prompt navigate to the folder containing your fastboot files and recovery.img

11.enter the following in the command prompt:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

12. Once that completes navigate to recovery on your phone and pres power to select it

13.once CWM recovery boots on your phone use the volume up and down to pick Mounts and storage press power to select it

14.select Mount usb storage

15.take this zip and drag it to the root of your SD card
Goo-inside.me Downloads - Downloading su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip

16. on your phone press power to un mount your usb storage

17. select go back

18.select install zip from sd card

19.choose zip from sd card

20.select the su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip file we just downloaded and press power to flash

21. reboot the phone

22.once your phone is booted go to the market and search superuser

23.download and install superuser

24. search busy

25. use one of the busybox installers and install busybox (hit allow on the su notification)

26.enter superuser, press the menu buton on your phone, select preferences, then scroll down to su-binary

27.hit update, and allow the prompt, if all the output is in green then you have full root congrats!!!

pagesteve

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
In command line after typing command fastboot oem get_identifier_token i get error message: FAILED <command write failed <unknown error>> I have all three files in a folder called Android that i created in the C: drive. I am running a 64bit Windows 7 OS. Any help with trying to root my phone will be greatly appreciated. I have HTC Evo 4G (Sprint) with Hboot 2.18.0001. screen shot attached.

Last edited:

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest copying & pasting those codes since its much easier instead of having to type every single character. I just copied it over instead of pasting it since its dead accurate & i got through the process without any problems. Try copying it over & if you hit a snag let me know.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
In command line after typing command fastboot oem get_identifier_token i get error message: FAILED <command write failed <unknown error>> I have all three files in a folder called Android that i created in the C: drive. I am running a 64bit Windows 7 OS. Any help with trying to root my phone will be greatly appreciated. I have HTC Evo 4G (Sprint) with Hboot 2.18.0001. screen shot attached.
Have you installed the necessary drivers on your computer? Is your device in "FASTBOOT USB" mode?

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
No prob. This guide isnt mine so i aint taking credit on this one. I used it myself & thought id post it for those who were facing problems with the new update. Glad to hear its helped.

fgreenwoodf

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Tried this method last night to root my phone, I was hesitant at first but i was like "what the hell". Took me about an hour (because I was also fixing my laptop), but got it done. Phone is rooted and already deleted those ugly sprint apps.

retzar

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
has anyone experienced the problem of command prompt just hanging during the part about transferring the recovery file to the phone? It's been sending the recovery file for like 10 minutes or more, is this normal? How long should the recovery file transfer take?

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
has anyone experienced the problem of command prompt just hanging during the part about transferring the recovery file to the phone? It's been sending the recovery file for like 10 minutes or more, is this normal? How long should the recovery file transfer take?
It should only take seconds. How are you transferring it? What commands are you using? Are you sure you have all of the drivers installed?

ronski2000

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, my command prompt is stuck on "waiting for device". Any help please. My phone has the words "Locked" on the very top line of the hboot screen, if that means anything.

ronski2000

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, my command prompt is stuck on "waiting for device". Any help please. My phone has the words "Locked" on the very top line of the hboot screen, if that means anything. I am trying to root my new evo 4g with 2.18.0001 and I can't seem to get past the unlocking portion. I have all 3 files in a folder as directed. PLEASE HELP

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
When going thru the page on HTC dev be sure your copying over the codes as told to do so. Easiest option is to copy & paste. Also you can copy over from the prompt as well.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, my command prompt is stuck on "waiting for device". Any help please. My phone has the words "Locked" on the very top line of the hboot screen, if that means anything. I am trying to root my new evo 4g with 2.18.0001 and I can't seem to get past the unlocking portion. I have all 3 files in a folder as directed. PLEASE HELP
Have you enabled FASTBOOT mode? The screen should say "FASTBOOT USB". If it doesn't, select the FASTBOOT option from the menu to enable it.

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I get the same thing and I tried to download it three times.

There has to be a way to get the file. This one list the exact way to do it after you've unlocked the bootloader which I was finally able to do following these instructions. I'd rather stick with a way that has worked for me and someone else has already done as well.

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Well I have the Evo Design and I was able to unlock the bootloader and did the process of using the super tools to root it but when I downloaded busybox and titanium back up it said it couldn't find root access so I'm not sure what happened. When I did it everything seemed to work fine and I rebooted it.

brewmaster_p

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to unlock my phone (Sprint EVO 4G). I've got all the way up to the point where I'm copying the identifier token into the bootloader lunlock tool. I hit "submit", though, and I get a 404 Page Not Found error. Does anyone know anything about this? They haven't taken this tool down, have they?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia