Htc evo rooting? Or not?

Viper-TT

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Well i do not know what to say!
when sprint called and told me they were changing there unlimited data plane to like 3gb,
I started to wonder what will be next? so i started looking for a tether program and i found this site!!!
So i have been trying to read some of your post here and from what i can say from my OLD MAN stand point
what you all are doing with this ROOTING??? is at this point OVER MY HEAD!!!
So may i ask this Rooting? good or bad, a benefit or a negative?? one thing i did read is htc's updates
would that mess up a rooted phone?? Then how hard is it to root a phone if you are not Savey doing this??
is there a program for us old people that still like to be young but have some brain damage raising kids and paying taxes! that is a one click operation? you know back up your phone so it can be undone and back to stock! then install a new system! A SAFE SYSTEM!!! You all call a custom ROM?? ( did i get this right?? )
some of you might be laughing at me at this point! but that is OK what i know that you don't ( YET )
is the parental curse :)
Anyway with all this tech stuff one (I) would think someone would have made a all-in-one kit
then again I'm old and feeble so i can ask dumb question like this

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO THAT YOU DO SO WELL!!!!

Reactions: Chillersmrce

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't want to get off topic here but, did you say Sprint called and told you they were moving away from unlimited and going to 3GBs?!?!?!? What did they say exactly? If this is true, then is HUGE news!

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Speaking for the old and feeble (54) LOOOOOL, I was intimidated for a whole year and half about this rooting thing myself. Coming from a palm pre where rooting was pretty much all in one thing to this was like trying to learn a new language at my age......But 2 months ago while on X-mas vacation I decided oh what the hell and gave if a try......first I read around for everything I could understand then decided on the unrevoked method to root.....had also decided on a rom to flash as well....that was my starting point....2 months later I've flashed about 8 different roms finally settling on what I have now....and Like most forums if you search and cant find it....theres always those willing to help......SOOOOOO....to the older generation.....I said....LET'S DO THIS DAMN THING!!!!!

dubyasux

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Definitely root your Evo. The process is straightforward, relatively easy, and well documented. Just be sure to use the proper method for the Hboot version installed on your phone. I rooted my Evo to install wireless tethering and remove some unwanted bloatware. After a couple of months I bit the bullet and flashed the ROM with MikG v2.61. I got a complete makeover on the phone a gained approximately 100 MB of reclaimed memory once all previous apps were reinstalled. Just take the time to read all the directions thoroughly, then go for it.

_dev_null

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Viper, I have to laugh at your post.... I feel your pain (Im probably right there with you age-wise too).

Fortunately for me anyway, Ive been in tech for the last 35 years or so - most of this stuff is simply like learning a new language or procedure. As Ive been in a different aspect, Ive found the easiest way it to read TONS of stuff out there and realize there is no right/wrong way to do it. I haven't rooted my EVO yet.... but will be jumping on the bandwagon by the end of the weekend.

Good luck!

Viper-TT

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
SPRINT called and said that there unlimited data add on has changed from unlimited to i thing 3 differant
download packages the phone its self is still unlimited on but if you buy the data wi-fi for your laptop and use your phone as a modem then yes the data package is no longer unlimited

that is what i was trying to say!!!

Viper-TT

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Well i have been reading all that i can!! GREEK, Portuguese, i think LATIN TOO ROM this ROM that Boot, bboot
boot of boot then backup backup oh my bifocal eye's are making all this look like 3 pairs of two of each word!!!

i would think at this point in the game some smart younger kid geek would pop up with a program that unlocks oooopps "root" the phone then backs up all that needs to be backed up for setting the phone back to stock if need be then gives you a screen or whatever to install what ROM you want you know simple old fart style
you know click here to begin and don't touch till is says finished

what i am going through is i bought my evo at best buy and bought the extra warranty for my phone!
well i had called sprint and asked them what way to go i did not want to buy a new phone and a data card
for my laptop i wanted simple a phone all in one for the laptop too!
till i got that email from sprint on there data package cut back and in March at my currant rate of data usage
i would be paying close to $2000.00 extra in INTERNET data usage but hey you evo phone is still unlimited!!
So now i am looking to get one up on sprint now ( ya i know i should not be a bad boy oopps OLD MAN!! )

But hell over 8 years with sprint and 6 phones bought! never late with my payments to sprint!! Sons and Daughters useing sprint too then THEY CHANGED THE DATA PLAN!! no my mind said!!

so now i am here again looking to get back at sprint!!
i like the way the evo is setup is there a rom that looks and runs like stock??
and does some one know a step by step guide that really easy
and does not mess up the phone??

so all of you that have flashed and reflashed and have tried other roms what one is the best they all say they are but from a user point of view what do you say!!!!

THANKS!! FORM A YE OLD FART!! NOT A GEEK!!!

dubyasux

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
If you just want free Internet tethering for your EVO, Viper, you can use PdaNet to link your PC to the Internet via a USB connection through your phone. PdaNet is available at Download PdaNet.

You can also employ free wireless tethering on your EVO, but this requires that you have root access on the phone.

To gain root access if you have Hboot version 2.18.001, follow the instructions listed at http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...26-guide-rooting-phone-hboot-2-18-0001-a.html.

To gain root access if you have Hboot version earlier than 2.18.001, follow the instructions listed at http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...oot-evo-4g-gingerbread-via-revolutionary.html.

Once you have gained root access on your phone, download the wireless tethering app directly to your phone from android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting and save the downloaded wifi_tether_v3_1-beta11.apk. On your EVO select Menu -> Settings -> Applications and check "Unknown sources" to allow you to install. Finally, open the file wifi_tether_v3_1-beta11.apk using a file manager such as Astro File Manager then restore Menu -> Settings -> Applications "Unknown sources" to unchecked .

Configure Wifi Tether by opening the application, selecting Menu -> Settings, and entering your preferences for WiFi-Encryption, Passphrase, SSID, and channel then connect your laptop via its wifi connection configured with settings that match the WiFi-Encryption, Passphrase, and SSID that you specified in Wifi Tether configuration.

Once you have enabled root access on your EVO, do not accept any further software updates from Sprint. You can continue to use the stock Sprint ROM as long as you are satisfied with it, you can free up additional memory on your phone using Root Uninstaller to remove bloatware, or you can decide at some future time that you want to install a custom ROM to gain access to features not available in the Sprint ROM. You can boot into recovery to make nandroid backups of all data and software on the phone before making major changes like removing bloatware or flashing a new ROM. To flash a custom ROM or make nandroid backups from the phones graphical interface, you can also use ROM Manager available in the market at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....koushikdutta.rommanager&hl=en&token=-Vhpb_p-

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma