USB Host mode on Motorola Droid Chris Paget's Blog

The link above describes how to connect a USB keyboard to a Droid. Does anyone know if the same kind of hack could be used to connect a keyboard to the Evo?

Yes, its true Android (at long last!) has access to USB Host mode. I had been waiting for this to happen on the Nexus 1 or N900 some time soon, but as it turns out its the Droid that takes the crown. Its a neat little hack that I heard about at Shmoocon; Id like to thank to Mike Kershaw from Kismet and Mike Baker from OpenWRT for sharing Heres how it works.

The USB hardware on the Droid is actually capable of USB-OTG (meaning that it can act as both host and peripheral), however it only possesses a standard USB Micro-B port instead of the Micro-AB port that you would normally get from an OTG device (such as the N810). With a minimal amount of effort (and tolerance of a few bugs) its possible to enable the B port as a host interface (as OTG says you should be able to do), meaning it supplies power and acts as the bus controller. Its actually pretty easy; I can easily think of about a hundred million ways to make this useful on the Droid (think: plug any USB hardware you like into your Droid, as long as it works in Linux it should work in Android).... blog continues via link above
    06-06-2010 11:28 AM
    bump
    06-08-2010 01:52 AM
    I bet it would. Bluetooth keyboards will work. Would love to know if anyone accomplishes this.
    01-16-2011 09:06 PM
    This actually sound doable only thing is if I had a clear cut on what commands I need to run and im going to test tomorrow and also I have all the things needed but the USB wireless connector I have one for a mouse and I just need a keyboard and what thing needs to be fried Cuz not quite sure what he meant by that?

and I obviously saw what colors go where but someone mad a map and pics where upside down and lines where everywhere
    But would anyone know by chance if there is any cheap wireless keyboards for cheap are?

Cuz I will use the wireless tip you plug into the PC for that short tip and use a wire to make the female and male tip for my Evo I have a few tips I could make to connect the male and female this is soooo cool just need some help and im down to do this I always mix wires and play with speakers and making stuff so alittle refining on the instructions and I will be the first tester lol

Sent From PrittyBoy's Evo 4G
    01-16-2011 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD