Free Wireless tethering

cjmjmm2006

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I can only connect up to 2 devices. I thought I read somewhere that you can connect up to 6. Any one have some insight? I checked the boards and the settings in the application, just stuck. Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody been successful in getting any of their wireless devices to connect to Wireless Tether with encryption enabled? My devices can connect just fine with no encryption, but I feel vulnerable doing it this way.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Has anybody been successful in getting any of their wireless devices to connect to Wireless Tether with encryption enabled? My devices can connect just fine with no encryption, but I feel vulnerable doing it this way.

Typing this, tethered to my EVO, with encryption on (method set to auto)

kchase731

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
free tethering after OTA update

I allowed the OTA update. Now that I cant root, is there a way to do WiFi tethering?

I really dont care about anything other then tethering.

noladesi

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep I am having the same issue, did the update. Now I cannot root with Unrevoked. When I run Unrevoked and push Start, it pauses and says Done underneath the Start button. Then when I run Wirless Tether, it prompts that rooting is required. Worked great before the update.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Sorry guys ... the newest OTA is not rooted yet and you need root to run wireless tethering.

Use this as a learning opportunity. Root your phone (when its available) then flash a custom ROM. If another OTA happens a good ROM dev will incorporate it into their ROM within a day or 2 and you get to keep root :)

If you're feeling really froggie, I think you can run the old RUU (pre OTA), follow gbhils instructions for rooting, then flash a ROM with the OTA update. You get the OTA update and get to keep root which means free wireless tethering.

sonso

May 14, 2010
Visit site
They must have really plugged that hole! I'ce been frequently checkicng the news feed and this sub-forum. anyhow, thanks to those working on this. I'm hoping for quick progress on this :)

ramcee

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
i look around in handango.com and finf this
Tether Plus
by Mega Apps

[+]Be the first to submit a review! $6.99

+69 Reward Points
? Back to Overview

This app let''s you use your phone as a modem to connect to the internet at 3g speeds or 4g speeds. So basically if you are in an area and you do not have an internet connection but you have phone service you can use your phone as a modem to connect your laptop or pc to the phone internet. Plus it will use your regular data plan. You do not have to pay your service provider an extra fee a month to use it. It is awesome and makes your life easier.

anybody use to have experience with this progam before? i did ota and unable to do hot spot anymore but this program seem have everything include evo is in the list of the device that the author claim working
thank you

razzer7117

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I have my droid incredible rooted and wireless tether set up. I can see the phone in my list of wifi wireless network connections, It says connected but when I try to connect I get no internet access, when I hover over the wireless network connection, It says unidentified network, no network access, no internet access. Does anyone know what is going on or wrong, it seems it would be just as easy as finding the SSID in the wireless network connection box and connecting, but Im wondering if there is something I have checked or unchecked on my phone for it to connect. Any help would be appreciated.

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I have my droid incredible rooted and wireless tether set up. I can see the phone in my list of wifi wireless network connections, It says connected but when I try to connect I get no internet access, when I hover over the wireless network connection, It says unidentified network, no network access, no internet access. Does anyone know what is going on or wrong, it seems it would be just as easy as finding the SSID in the wireless network connection box and connecting, but Im wondering if there is something I have checked or unchecked on my phone for it to connect. Any help would be appreciated.

Last time I checked, the Incredible didn't have wireless tether. That's why I returned mine and got an EVO. You might have better luck checking in the Incredidible forums. Good luck!

kchase731

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
i just did the new OTA root. that someone posted. but cannot get wifi tether for root users working. it keeps telling me phone is in a unknown state, please restart.

any ideas?

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
i just did the new OTA root. that someone posted. but cannot get wifi tether for root users working. it keeps telling me phone is in a unknown state, please restart.

any ideas?

Per KevinSmithinNY's advice in post 13:

You can see if you have root by doing the following:
Download "android terminal emulator" from the market
Launch the app and type "su"
If a "#" returns then you have root

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
just downloaded and tries running su. took me to the #
so im guessing the full root worked. anything else i can try?

Did you download the actual tether program from Google?
If you did, try erasing it, do a battery pull (leave it out for about a minute), reboot
restest for the root
if you still have root, go to Google and re-download the program.
Are you giving it Superuser permission?

Last edited:

kchase731

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
ok. pulled the battery rebooted. still have su access but not wifi tether. this is the version i was running before the OTA update, and i used Unrevoked. now i have full root, and i installed the same version.

not sure if i gave the app superuser. when i did the unrevoked method i has a super user icon, i do not have that now. how do i get that?

my error message is this now: "unable to start tether, please try again"

thanks for all the help btw

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
ok. pulled the battery rebooted. still have su access but not wifi tether. this is the version i was running before the OTA update, and i used Unrevoked. now i have full root, and i installed the same version.

not sure if i gave the app superuser. when i did the unrevoked method i has a super user icon, i do not have that now. how do i get that?

my error message is this now: "unable to start tether, please try again"

thanks for all the help btw

I had the same problem. re-root. delete all the root zips from your SD CARD. Which ROM are you trying? Make sure you are renaming it after that intial boot (ie. from PC36IMG to something like root-PC36IMG). Since you've already rooted, it's easy to skip a step.

kchase731

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
oh man...now im going to get confused in the steps. did this work for you? ill do it if i know it works.

i for sure do not have the superuser app i had when running unrevoked. so ill try it if i have to.

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
oh man...now im going to get confused in the steps. did this work for you? ill do it if i know it works.

i for sure do not have the superuser app i had when running unrevoked. so ill try it if i have to.

Hey, don't worry about getting confused in the steps. I did the same thing, and that's what screwed me up. I just did unrevoked again and started from scratch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49