Free Wireless tethering

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
those are my 4g speeds. as far as root -- i did it the old fashioned way and i did it before the 1.47 update. and i am not doing anything fancy when i tether, but it is worth noting the ROM i am running and i linked to it in my first post. try it out after you get full root and nand. you'll like it.

So the speed that you submitted above was a wifi tethered speed?

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
yes it was. it's about the fastest i ever get with 4g.

Oh well I installed AC and tried to duplicate the speeds but still couldnt get above 800kbps, same as I was getting on damage control rom. I get speeds of 7mbps from phone but only 700kbps while wifi tethered. I need to try a wired tether and see what kind of speed I can obtain.

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
OK I figured out what the deal is with my 3G speeds at 4G. Its the damn ipad's speedtest.net app. Its simply wrong. I hook up my netbook and get 3 MBps down and 1 up. I use speedtestx on ipad and get 1.3 down or so which is better. I cannot believe how much time I spent trying to get 4G when it was the $^#% ipad program

htcuser8740

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Lets try this here. sorry for posting in wrong forum earlier. I used the simple root method for rooting, and successfully rooted. The wireless tether is not working though. When i open the app it tells me "your phone is currently in an unknown state-please reboot" Which I have done but keep getting the same error message. What gives?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
OK I figured out what the deal is with my 3G speeds at 4G. Its the damn ipad's speedtest.net app. Its simply wrong. I hook up my netbook and get 3 MBps down and 1 up. I use speedtestx on ipad and get 1.3 down or so which is better. I cannot believe how much time I spent trying to get 4G when it was the $^#% ipad program

Maybe the iPad was jealous so it started lying about speeds to make you resent your EVO? Lol!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Lets try this here. sorry for posting in wrong forum earlier. I used the simple root method for rooting, and successfully rooted. The wireless tether is not working though. When i open the app it tells me "your phone is currently in an unknown state-please reboot" Which I have done but keep getting the same error message. What gives?

Do you have super user permissions app on your phone?
Have you flashed a custom rom?

You have to have one if those for it to work.

htcuser8740

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Do you have super user permissions app on your phone?
Have you flashed a custom rom?

You have to have one if those for it to work.

Ah thatd probably answer it for me. Thanks. Having trouble flashing a rom. going to work on that tonight. As for super user permissions app, I do not have that either. BUt i do have apps that weren't there prior to rooting, they are...CIQ Tools, Dev Tools, Device Self Service, HDMI Controller, HTC SSD Test, WiMax Settings, WiMaxRouter, WiMaxTool. I rooted via "Simple Root" Maybe this method doesn't give super user permissions? Thanks for your help. Im very new to this.

htcuser8740

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I finally got the root complete and flashed a Rom. (3.26.651.6--froyo deodexed rve.2) Everything is working fine. I downloaded wireless tether app and run it fine. My problem is the speed. My upload is .1 kb and download is .4 kb. I'm not in a 4g area unfortunately. I can't even connect a device to it. Is there something I'm possibly doing wrong? Why such slow speeds?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

H20wakebum

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I dont get it...

I am currently running Fresh 3.1.0.2 and using wireless tether... I have superuser permission for wireless tether.

I get no errors, I just can't get internet.

It shows up on my PC as a connection, when i connect it doesn't give me internet access...

Any thoughts?

-RR

whats77inaname

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Edit: Fixed and answered your question

Does wireless tether work the same as hotspot where more then one devise can connect @ the same time?

Yes, it does.

I dont get it...

I am currently running Fresh 3.1.0.2 and using wireless tether... I have superuser permission for wireless tether.

I get no errors, I just can't get internet.

It shows up on my PC as a connection, when i connect it doesn't give me internet access...

Any thoughts?

-RR

What ROM are you using?

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
@H20wakebum

You're probably not using the correct version of the app. You need to go to the developers google code page (linked in post #1) and download PRE 8 or PRE 9. Anything before PRE 8 will not work on froyo

whats77inaname

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
@H20wakebum

You're probably not using the correct version of the app. You need to go to the developers google code page (linked in post #1) and download PRE 8 or PRE 9. Anything before PRE 8 will not work on froyo

I was experiencing the same issue as he was, and I was trying to see if it was due to the ROM. I went to the market and downloaded the latest tether app and it still didn't work. I did a little more researching, and a post in this thread reflected this post: android-wifi-tether for those with root - xda-developers

Basically, the long and the short of it:

1) create a directory on the sd card titled android.tether
2) download the bin file referenced (you can find it here)
3) copy the bin file into the directory created in step 1

done.

If it still gives you issues, uninstall the wireless tether and reinstall it. Like I said, I was in the same boat until about 5 mins ago. I'm good to go now.

Not saying that your method doesn't work, (I don't know, b/c I didn't try it *lol*) but in case it doesn't work for him, this is what worked for me.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I was experiencing the same issue as he was, and I was trying to see if it was due to the ROM. I went to the market and downloaded the latest tether app and it still didn't work. I did a little more researching, and a post in this thread reflected this post: android-wifi-tether for those with root - xda-developers

Basically, the long and the short of it:

1) create a directory on the sd card titled android.tether
2) download the bin file referenced (you can find it here)
3) copy the bin file into the directory created in step 1

done.

If it still gives you issues, uninstall the wireless tether and reinstall it. Like I said, I was in the same boat until about 5 mins ago. I'm good to go now.

Not saying that your method doesn't work, (I don't know, b/c I didn't try it *lol*) but in case it doesn't work for him, this is what worked for me.

Hmm well yes and no.

To the first point. The reason it wont work on a lot of custom ROM's off the bat is because the Dev doesn't include the bin file, typically because they don't know any better not because they are being mean. DEV's who are responsible ::cough cough AC-ROM cough cough:: have done this before hand for peeps. Another way this can be fixed is i believe in the newer versions of wireless tether there's an option in the menu's somewhere re install config and binary files (menu > settings > menu > install binary and config)

To the second point, I don't believe the one found in the market is pre 7, pre 8 or pre 9 which are the compatible ones with the froyo HTC kernel. The one is the market is the theory of evolution series but it doesn't state which build it is. By going to harald and team's google code page you have an opportunity to pick which version you want and see the bug list and status updates. It also has a section where you tell it which device you're on and it recommends which version of wireless tether you should be using (many version and not all work on all devices) hence why it's important tog o and pick the recommended apk for your device

Cheers!

Edit - So i just decided to check which version was in the market just for S's and G's and they strip out the version in the about section and rename the apk so you cant tell?!?!?! Luckly from chatting with Harald i know that pre 8 was the version which introduced channel changing with the HTC froyo kernel and i just changed to channel 11 and it actually stuck so im thinking it must at least be pre 8. Also judging from all the comments in the market of "your update broke my tethering" im guess it's pre 9 and maybe there's an issue with pre 9?

Last edited:

whats77inaname

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Hmm well yes and no.

To the first point. The reason it wont work on a lot of custom ROM's off the bat is because the Dev doesn't include the bin file, typically because they don't know any better not because they are being mean. DEV's who are responsible ::cough cough AC-ROM cough cough:: have done this before hand for peeps. Another way this can be fixed is i believe in the newer versions of wireless tether there's an option in the menu's somewhere re install config and binary files (menu > settings > menu > install binary and config)

To the second point, I don't believe the one found in the market is pre 7, pre 8 or pre 9 which are the compatible ones with the froyo HTC kernel. The one is the market is the theory of evolution series but it doesn't state which build it is. By going to harald and team's google code page you have an opportunity to pick which version you want and see the bug list and status updates. It also has a section where you tell it which device you're on and it recommends which version of wireless tether you should be using (many version and not all work on all devices) hence why it's important to go and pick the recommended apk for your device.

Cheers!

Edit - So i just decided to check which version was in the market just for S's and G's and they strip out the version in the about section and rename the apk so you cant tell?!?!?! Luckly from chatting with Harald i know that pre 8 was the version which introduced channel changing with the HTC froyo kernel and i just changed to channel 11 and it actually stuck so im thinking it must at least be pre 8. Also judging from all the comments in the market of "your update broke my tethering" im guess it's pre 9 and maybe there's an issue with pre 9?

I usually try to research as much as I can before asking a question. Prior to visiting the first post, I *did* go to the developer's page that is listed in the "About" section of their app (android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code). I did search for the recommended app for my phone, but for the Evo, it lists "Android 2.1 (Eclair)" as the version and the status as "Experimental." Based on that, I assumed that the steps I posted about might be necessary to address issues w/a Froyo updated phone since there wasn't a reference to a Froyo-based Evo download on the dev's site.

I had run across the config (menu > settings > menu > install binary and config) setting and tried it, but I rec'd an error message, so that was shot. I had already uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and that didn't work. I came here looking for answers, searched this thread, and got the direction I needed, so I'm glad you posted it *lol*.

Last edited:

clavodulce16

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wireless tether is working properly but at time my laptop is losing connectivity and i would have to stop tether and start tether again in order for it to connect. Seen to be an issue with the app. I'm running 2.2 rooted w/ baked snack with updated radio & wimax.
any ideas any one?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Wireless tether is working properly but at time my laptop is losing connectivity and i would have to stop tether and start tether again in order for it to connect. Seen to be an issue with the app. I'm running 2.2 rooted w/ baked snack with updated radio & wimax.
any ideas any one?

Try changing WT to a different channel to see if that helps at all.

EvoRoy

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Wireless tether is not working gives me error "Connectivity error" and when I seek further info it says invalid IP address. I don't use WT a lot but when I need it I really need it. It used to work under stock ROM, I am running Baked Snack now. I have also had problems with Cyan

Last edited: