Free Wireless tethering

BigFace

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Did the root and wireless tether thing and it worked good the first day.
WLAN Card Utility says connected to "Android Tether" @48.0Mbps.
Keep getting "Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED):
The server could not be foiund.

Last edited:

sandman512

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Noob here with a rooted phone. Few questions if you don't mind. Downloaded Wireless Tethering from the market. What settings should I have, so only I can tether securely. THANKS!

westhillsat

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Noob here with a rooted phone. Few questions if you don't mind. Downloaded Wireless Tethering from the market. What settings should I have, so only I can tether securely. THANKS!

From your home screen that has the wireless tether icon, tap the icon. Then tap your menu at the bottom of the evo, from the pop-up menu tap settings. Under security it has enable access control. You then choose what devices can use the tether. You would have to have your other device try connect and just allow it to.

Last edited:

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
anyone running CM nightly #12...having problems tethering?.....its says its on but none of my devices are picking up the signal....anyone else seeing this?....

deezus

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So...what if I just want to turn free tethering on. Is there a way to easily root phone enable free tethering and then go back to unrooted phone and still have free tethering?

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I finally was able to update to 3.70.651.1 today and rooted today and was excited to get the wireless tether to work. I had to manually update using OTA_Supersonic_3.29.651.5 [ROOTED] [DEODEXED] and with the Sprint Lovers Rom and wireless tether version 2.0.6 which i assume came with Sprint Lovers Rom. I was able to successfully connect my itouch to the wireless tether but it only connects for a brief second or two. I enabled my itouch for user permissions, etc and even though the down/upload kB increases slightly, the kbps for shows low numbers then immediately drop back down to 0.0. I spent all day rooting my phone (literally 5 hours) and this is the last thing that i need to get fixed as i am going on a road trip and need wireless tether to work. I cant find anything in regards to this fix. I tried tethering all over my house, inside my car, outside under the sun, still no work. its driving my crazy and i need help.

Do i need to change the settings around in the wireless tether app? LAN, etc?
thanks

Last edited:

f350red

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
OK new user here---
Question?
If I root my evo 4G slider then I can do the Free Wireless tethering to my laptop hooked up to my 46" LCD TV and would be able to watch lets say Netflix with out any hickups or slowed internet connection--and it would view the same as I now use Time warrner cable for for my internet connection.
If this is so please let me know as the $$$$ are tight. I would love to cut Time warrner off---with all of their outages that I now put up with.
Now I have the unlimited plan on my evo.
I thank You now for any reply

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
so this kinda takes this thread a bit off topic but it is about this app. I have also posted this in the "app" sections of the forums. Appreciate the help.

So I know that I can put a password on the wifi i broadcast out over 3g. My question is this:

Can I hookup to say open (Starbucks, etc) wifi then use wifitether to redirect it out using my encryption on the app?

Thus making it a secure connection to my laptop but not using my 3G just their hotspot?

Or is this not possible?

I hope this makes sense as to what I'm asking

gabehtc

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't get my tether to work for weeks. I read your post and I downloaded wireless teather from your link and intalled it. Bam it worked! I can now get online with my ipad no problem. Fast speed as well. If I can do it anyone can.

Ronald

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I am having a problem with the access control in version 2.0.7. I am rooted, using Myn's Warm 2.2 Rls 5 (a Froyo Sense ROM).

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to have my Evo remember to connect to my iPad. Even though the iPad is enabled in Access Control, and shows up in red when not connected, I have to type in my password on the iPad each and every time.

I have no problems with the iPad connecting to my home or work WiFi networks, so it doesn't appear to be an iPad problem.

Any suggestions?

Ron

Knightslugger

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
so this kinda takes this thread a bit off topic but it is about this app. I have also posted this in the "app" sections of the forums. Appreciate the help.

So I know that I can put a password on the wifi i broadcast out over 3g. My question is this:

Can I hookup to say open (Starbucks, etc) wifi then use wifitether to redirect it out using my encryption on the app?

Thus making it a secure connection to my laptop but not using my 3G just their hotspot?

Or is this not possible?

I hope this makes sense as to what I'm asking

no, you cannot. you can only perform one connection type at a time. You're either an Access Point, or a Transceiver, not both.

soloque1999

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I recently downloaded the free wifi from step 2 above to my evo(rooted,sprint lovers) and to this point have been unsuccessful in using it. When starting tether it sends an error saying "tether started with errors! Please check show log" after checking the show log it says "unable to open logs. no files found." please help!

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I recently downloaded the free wifi from step 2 above to my evo(rooted,sprint lovers) and to this point have been unsuccessful in using it. When starting tether it sends an error saying "tether started with errors! Please check show log" after checking the show log it says "unable to open logs. no files found." please help!

Hi, glad to see you got rooted! :)

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Wireless Tether app but there is an app that came on Sprint Lovers when I flashed called Wi-fi Hotspot. That is the one I use and it works great. Just tap it to open, then tap again to turn it on.

Oh, you probably already know this but when you first open it make sure you accept superuser permissions.

Last edited:
Reactions: soloque1999

soloque1999

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry, and forgive me because I am new to this but I did not see the wifi hotspot app listed. One of the primary reasons I rooted was to have wifi access.Please help.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry, and forgive me because I am new to this but I did not see the wifi hotspot app listed. One of the primary reasons I rooted was to have wifi access.Please help.

No worries, no one is born knowing this stuff!

There are so many screens it can get confusing! To go to your main screen, tap the Home hard button, then tap on the up arrow. Scroll all the way to the bottom of that screen and it should be there.

If it isn't on your main screen (again, mine was toward the bottom) tap the + button located on your screen above the search hard button. Tap on the down arrow next to App, then scroll down to the bottom and look for "Wi-fi Hotspot." Tap on it to add to your home screen.

I've got to get ready for work but I'll check in later to see how you're doing.

soloque1999

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
No worries, no one is born knowing this stuff!

There are so many screens it can get confusing! To go to your main screen, tap the Home hard button, then tap on the up arrow. Scroll all the way to the bottom of that screen and it should be there.

If it isn't on your main screen (again, mine was toward the bottom) tap the + button located on your screen above the search hard button. Tap on the down arrow next to App, then scroll down to the bottom and look for "Wi-fi Hotspot." Tap on it to add to your home screen.

I've got to get ready for work but I'll check in later to see how you're doing.

First of all let me say thank you again for taking time out work with me, for that I am truly grateful.I have done as instructed and cannot find the "wifi hotspot" as an app. I have wimax setting,wimax router and wimax tool at the bottom.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
First of all let me say thank you again for taking time out work with me, for that I am truly grateful.I have done as instructed and cannot find the "wifi hotspot" as an app. I have wimax setting,wimax router and wimax tool at the bottom.

Hi, I'm sorry I took so long but I just got home. You are rooted with Sprint Lover's, right? Hmmm, I don't understand why you wouldn't have that app in your app listing. I guess that I need to put you in more capable hands. You can't get the Wi-fi Hotspot from the market, so maybe just reinstall this wireless tether app and see if it works this time. Maybe someone else knows what your specific error message means. I'm curious myself now! I am so sorry I don't know more...I would really like to help :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2