Bricked My EVO, but there is away to un-Brick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
SD-Card Unavailable and USB port not working, discharges Battery while plugged In.

Okay, so I bricked my EVO last night. You lose access to your SD card, and your USB port, both for charging (only a problem if phone is on) and for data. There is a FIX. If you need to charge. Turn off the phone then plug it it. It will charge this away. If you have phone online and you get the charge light it is actually discharging your phone.

This is where i got the info at, but will re-type it here for easier access.
Original instructions pulled from Calkulin: [Fixed] Well looks like I killed my EVO already... (Lost SD & USB) - xda-developers

Fix SD (I found that if you wait to plug in your phone until you are in fastboot of the bootloader on your phone, Windows 7 finds it with no problem.)

Press & hold vol down and power on the phone
Select fastboot by pressing the power button
Make sure in device manager the driver is installed(Win 7 x64 downloaded them automatically)
Open command prompt like you would to use ADB and type

fastboot oem enableqxdm 0
fastboot reboot

That should fix your SD card not being detected.

Fix USB

Press & hold vol down and power on the phone
Select fastboot by pressing the power button
Make sure in device manager the driver is installed(Win 7 x64 downloaded them automatically)
Open command prompt like you would to use ADB and type

fastboot oem boot

It will give you a log, look for the line that says INFOCID is SPCS_001, if it says something different, then use the generator below to create one(or below)

Download the mtd0.img attached or use this CID generator made by stevebrush over @ Modaco to create a custom one

Download the flash_image below.

Unzip both zips and copy both files to the SD card

Open a terminal emulator (I used ConnectBot) change ssh to local, give it a name.

and type
su
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/mtd0.img > /data/mtd0.img
chmod 755 /data/flash_image or chmod u+x /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd0.img
reboot

if you are trying to find the > symbol then follow Keith Newman's info.
-Hit "12#" key on the Keyboard.
-then the "1/2" key (it'll turn into 2/2)
-the ">" key is on the second row, 5th key, directly below the "=" and above the first blank in the 3rd row.

Issue: I can't get the cat function to work. I have even wiped my data and re-rooted with the pc36img.zip file. still no go. keep getting
/data/flash_image: No such file or directory
same with the mtd0.img This is because you no longer have BusyBox installed. If you have lost busybox, then follow Keith's info in the next post. To the letter.

Thanks Go Out to Keith Newman; Calkulin and IEFtm And to brontron for pointing me to the info from the start.

Last edited:
Reactions: cristhiangarciazea

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I see what you did... You are now using a ROM that DOESN'T have BUSYBOX setup.

So... this is what you're should try... just thinking out loud here.

1) Put koush's update.zip and RvU 1.3.2.zip on your root directory of the SD card, you gotta put it in your computer for that since you don't have USB yet. :(
2) Install ROM Manager and make sure you have updated to the latest Recovery: ClockworkMod 1.8.1.7
3) Reboot into Recovery using using fastboot. Real Simple, Power Off. Hold Down and Power On. Let it check your card for a second, you should have renamed toast's root img to something else right? Now, go to the second option that says Recovery, select it.
4) In this recovery mode, hit UP and then Power. You should be back into Koush's recovery now. Wipe first and then flash RvU. Once down, redownload ConnectBot and try those commands. You now have a ROM with BB that can do cat command.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
as far as the > issue goes...

-Hit "12#" key on the Keyboard.
-then the "1/2" key (it'll turn into 2/2)
-the ">" key is on the second row, 5th key, directly below the "=" and above the first blank in the 3rd row.

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Keith, that no workie. Loaded the files on the sdcard. Update.zip was already there. Then booted up the bootloader. down to recovery, power to select. Then in rebooted to a black screen with phone and a red triangle with an exclamation mark in it. Now it is just sitting there. i have to pull the battery.

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
i am going to install Titanium since it will install busybox on my system for me. doing so now and will see if that helps.

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I have edited the first page so that it has the info to do this fix. Hopefully others will be
able to benefit from my errors and misunderstandings. I will also be uploading those files to a rapidshare later so they can just be pulled from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams