EVO 4G, Rooting and a burried / hidden app?

NghtDrvr

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm "officially" new to the forums and am really looking forward to learning new things.

I looked through a few pages and did a search but haven't found any thing on my issue, thanks to you guys I've already learned something that may even nullify the issue anyway.

According to the forums if I only "root" my phone and not install a custom rom everything on the phone stays absolutely the same, correct?

The reason I ask is that one of my favorite apps is no longer available "anywhere" and every attempt I've made to back it up either comes back as "not able to back up" or isn't even recognized as being on my phone, as a matter of fact if I try and search for it I can't even find it anywhere inside or on the sd card, but it still works perfectly. I really don't want to loose it, I've even considered paying for teathering just to not loose it.

Any help would be appreciated, either with rooting info or some unconventional back-up methods.

Thanks

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if you only root, your rom will stay intact as much as you can see from the gui. You WILL have an extra app added called Superuser, but the rest of your goodies will still be there. Then you can install all the root goodness apps you want. You will even find stock roms to take you back to what the device shipped with (still rooted) if you ever want to go back to the original Evo feel.

Ok, now I have to ask, what is the app you can't backup/find? Titanium Backup will backup just about anything.

NghtDrvr

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Song Storm, I don't know if I tried Titanium or not, tried more than a few, basiclly uninstalled them when they didn't work, will have to go look at Titanium to see if it looks familiar.

Thanks.

Edit: Just went & looked, did not try Titanium as it says it's for the rooted only, will def. try after the rooting though, I really would like a back up of it just in case.

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Titanium Backup is pretty much the standard in root backup, it's awesome. Once you start playing with other roms (and you WILL, lol), then the paid version of TB makes your system restores VERY easy. No more fears of losing apps and settings, most of the time, you can just do a batch restore and watch all your settings/apps be restored on the new rom. (the free version does this too, just with a little more user interaction.)

Your first time rooting is a little like the red pill / blue pill Matrix decision. Only you knows which path to take.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Another useful tool to add a recovery to ur root, I personally use AmonRa (2.3 or 3.07) both work great... with this You can do a complete back up of your entire system :eek:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante