[How To] Unroot and return to stock [RUU Method]

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Error [140] Bootloader error comes up when ever I try this...any pointers?

I tried this many times as said in the directions....how do I know if I am running the correct RUU?

If your on a OTA rom, you need the newest RUU.

However i recommend flashing to an older rom, such as one of RvU's, then using the first RUU. That way its easier to root.

Bikram72

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I want to cry right now. I had baked snack 9.7 running on my evo and tried running the 1.47 ruu and kept getting error 170 about the usb like 20 times. I then tried loading RvU 1.32 and tried it with the 1.47 ruu and got the same error. I then tried the supersonic rom from xda and still got the error. With both the RvU rom and the supersonic rom it said 1.32.651.6 and 1.32.651.1 respectively in the about phone - software menu. But when i ran the 1.32.6 ruu it said the image on the device was 1.47. Please help, I have spent 7 hours trying to get this to work. I was supposed to ship my phone back yesterday, but i could not get it unrooted.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If your running RvU 1.3.2, you want to run the RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.6_Radio_1.39.00.05.31_release_171253_signed.exe RUU

Make sure your phone is at the white skating android screen before you try to restore.

Also make sure you have all the drivers installed on your PC...

Bikram72

May 26, 2010
Visit site
When I run the first two ruu when not on the white screen it shows that I have the 1.32.651.1 but it won't load the bootloader. When I'm in the white screen with the skateboards the first two ruu say I have 1.47. And when I run the latest ruu it always gives me the 170 heh error. And I have run the latest one seriously 50 times and every time it gives me that error.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
When I run the first two ruu when not on the white screen it shows that I have the 1.32.651.1 but it won't load the bootloader. When I'm in the white screen with the skateboards the first two ruu say I have 1.47. And when I run the latest ruu it always gives me the 170 heh error. And I have run the latest one seriously 50 times and every time it gives me that error.

Ok, 1 the white screen with the androids is independent from the RUU. It cant say you have 2 different hboots.

Relax bud, lets try some easy to follow things out.

You have Rom Manager right?

1. In rom manager, select the install custom rom from sd card option.
2. Select the RvU 1.3.2 file that should be on your sdcard
3. Wipe everything, and install. This should bring you back to essentially a stock custom rom.
4. When its done, power off the phone, and reboot into the bootloader.
5. Run the RUU i mentioned in the post earlyer.

Make sure you have HTC Sync, installed.

If that doesnt work, I'm directing you to this thread over at XDA. A couple extra steps, but you may have the bad hboot, and it wont change back with the rom. This should correct it and restore you back to stock.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915

Last edited:

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
3. Wipe everything, and install. This should bring you back to essentially a stock custom rom.

Make sure you have HTC Sync, installed.

These two things were super important for me...you have to wipe everything...if you don't...it causes problems with the RUU. When I wiped and put RvU 1.3.2 on I errored out but showed I had RvU on the RUU installed. Redid it and then it showed I have 1.47 installed and stuck. I used 1.47 RUU after flashing RvU's 1.3.2. The older ones gave me a bootloader error.

Bikram72

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok here is what i did yesterday. I had baked snack and tried the 1.47 ruu. it didnt work. I installed RvU and ran the 1.32.651.6 RUU and it updated my hboot from .76 to .79 but it failed after.

I ran the 1.32.651.6 RUU while not in the bootloader, but actually booted into the the phone and the RUU said i had 1.32.651.1 installed and it would upgrade to .6, however it timed out loading the bootlader. When i went into the bootloader, the white screen with the skateboards, and ran the same RUU it said i had 1.47 installed.

axfpeo.png
2zrqbkn.png

also i did my root post ota release with the flash exploit. My phone was acting weird so i did what it said in that xda link like a couple weeks ago.

Right now my phone is running the release build with the release radio and has the .79 hboot.

hopefully you can help me because i have tried running all 3 RUU with this rom and none work.

edit-- i have Amon RA recovery 1.7.0.1
and when i flash every rom i always wipe twice, wipe cache twice, and wipe dalvik twice. Once thats done then i go and flash a new rom. So i dont think it was a problem with that.

Last edited:

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I had the same thing you have pictured there as well.

Bikram72 try this...
[Program] SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition - xda-developers

It's Simple Root...with this it will set you back to 1.17 rooted stock rom. You will have this as an updated rom not as a flashed rom. This will put you back at .76 HBOOT. Then go back to the beginning the OP and run RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.6_Radio_1.39.00.05.31_rele ase_171253_signed.exe. This should get you at stock unrooted 1.32.651.6. I think that would be fine turning it in like that. If you want to run the newest RUU to get to newest update you should be able to.

Bikram72

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i need to send it in so im tryin to go full stock and i plan on doing the hex hack to change the pri version. im downloading toasts part 2 right now to do the steps in liquids link. And then i guess i am gonna flash RvU and then i will try the RUU again and report back.

I really appreciaite your guys' help. Thank you so much.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
i need to send it in so im tryin to go full stock and i plan on doing the hex hack to change the pri version. im downloading toasts part 2 right now to do the steps in liquids link. And then i guess i am gonna flash RvU and then i will try the RUU again and report back.

I really appreciaite your guys' help. Thank you so much.

If you are doing toasts part two..after you get done with that...just RUU from there with the newest RUU...it will be nearly a simple update (crosses fingers) after that. I wouldn't worry about flashing RvU's. Liquid just has us do that so the newest RUU could actually update us. You'll be at 1.17 after toasts so no need.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
well hold up, he said even with the .76 he couldnt run the RUU properly.

@Bikram72 Back when you said it connected, gave you the option to update durring the RUU and all that. You said it timed out. What were the specific details on that? USB connection error, or the phone was in the middle of something, and the RUU stopped.

If thats the case you just needed to run the RUU again, it would have resumed where it left off more or less.

Anyway,

Give Tattrpuff's suggestions a try. Let us know whats up.

Bikram72

May 26, 2010
Visit site
After I did toasts part 2, I ran the latest RUU and still got the 170 usb error. I then tried the 1.32.651.6 RUU and it worked like a charm.

Do you guyz think that the person checking my phone will look at the pri version to see if i had rooted it?? theres a way to flash 1.40 but i just unrooted and dont want to have to go down that route again until i get my new phone.

Thanks guyz

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
After I did toasts part 2, I ran the latest RUU and still got the 170 usb error. I then tried the 1.32.651.6 RUU and it worked like a charm.

Do you guyz think that the person checking my phone will look at the pri version to see if i had rooted it?? theres a way to flash 1.40 but i just unrooted and dont want to have to go down that route again until i get my new phone.

Thanks guyz

YEAH!!!! Perfect. If you are at RUU'ed 1.32.651.6, you should be able to update your PRI through system update, if you are on stock shouldn't you? I believe I did when I turned mine back in. But the guys at radio shack didn't check anything on it at all! Have you tried to up date it now you are stock with the latest RUU? I wouldn't think you would have any problem what so ever.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I ended up doing the ota update to 1.47 so now i everything is stock and upto date cept for the pri which is basically stuck at 1.34 because it is modified by the eng hboot and stays that way even after running a RUU.

best solution, but i have already unrooted so i cant do it.
xda-developers - View Single Post - [Partial GUIDE] Flashing Images to EVO Partitions

isnt there an option some where to update pri?

i dont think its a big deal, i dont think they'll notice, but if they do play dumb.

beandog

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Half-completed, now bricked? :'-(

I was running DC 3.2.3, and so I ran the first RUU (1.32.651.1_Radio_1.39....). After several tries, it started going through the process of getting me back to normal. But it failed partway through, and thereafter I couldn't get it to even make it past the first USB connection error, and I swear I tried 20 times. Now, I get in a boot loop where I just see the white HTC logo for a little bit and then it reboots.

I can get into my RA-evo-v1.7.0.1 recovery after taking out the battery. So I tried restoring my Nandroid backup... No dice, I get the same boot loop. I tried flashing DC 3.2.3, and same boot loop. I tried flashing CM 6, it fails on the assertion on the bootloader version. It seems I'm back to version 0.79 of the bootloader, rather than 0.76.

So I can't boot up, I can't flash either of my ROMs, I can't get back to my backup, and I can't get into adb from the PC because I can't boot up.

Am I totally screwed? What should I do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze