##3282# then edit mode password 246322

mark1107

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Brings up a whole bunch of phone menus that can be changed including DATA profiles etc.

Can anyone tell me what these do and if they can help my phone?

Thanks,

Mark (A reformed strained eye Pre user who switched to the able to see your screen now network!)

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Google search maybe?....I personally have posted on ##DATA# with tips and tweaks myself. Answers are there, but you have to search first.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
##DATA# is your carrier settings.. DONT mess with them unless you are an advanced user. If you mess one thing up it will cause data to not work at all on your phone resulting in having to $$786# which is a full reset to get the phone to reprovision automatically.

The only USEFUL things in there are cache settings ( good if you timeout alot on youtube videos, etc), and a setting to not interrupt data sessions when people call you.. which i believe you can already setup within the ANDROID settings so you wont screw up anything

mark1107

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
So I searched on the HTC EVO forums here only and came up with 20 pages so I gave up after scrolling 10 pages. I then googled it and came up 24,000 hits and didnt see anything after 5 pages of reviews.

Oh well.

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
This is similar to the EV-DO hack used in the old HTC Windows Mobile 5 (?) phones. This basically told the phone to give priority to either voice or data. I'm not sure what it does in Android.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
You guys might want to look up in the sticky section of this sub-forum and see what you find. I'd specifically look for the ring lag fix section.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
You guys might want to look up in the sticky section of this sub-forum and see what you find. I'd specifically look for the ring lag fix section.

Theres an option if you live in an area with bad signal to check the tower more frequently. Its called "SLOT CYCLE INDEX"

Basically it works like this. ( example and approximates here)

Someone calls you, the tower sends out the signal to your phone.
Your phone every 20 seconds will "page" the tower looking to see if someone is calling. If they are your phone rings.

Phone has 30 seconds before it goes to voicemail, so if your phone checks for the ring at the last minute the call seems to only ring for 10 seconds before it hits voicemail, but on the callers end he has been calling for 30 seconds.

Now lets say you are in a lower reception area, you can tell it to check every 10 seconds, so you dont have episodes where the phone rings 2 times then goes to VM. This WILL kill your battery faster, but for people who live in remote areas and rely on calls as vital. Its a nice hack that works.

Heres a post from back in the day that explains it:

As for hearing the ringing sound (ringback tone) in your phone before the cell starts ringing- this is indeed also a CDMA thing. CDMA phones when active on the network are 'asleep', IE not listening. Every several seconds they wake up and check in with the tower. The setting for how often this happens is called the Slot Cycle Index. This is a number, which times 1.3 seconds + 1.3 seconds = the slot interval.
Thus, 0 = 1.3, 1 = 2.6, etc
Sprint phones have a default slot cycle index of 2, which means their slot comes around every 5.2 seconds or so. As a result it can be up to 5 seconds between the time the tower gets the incoming call (and the caller hears ringback sounds) and the cell phone starts to ring.

Some 'smarter' phones take a second to then wake up and start playing their ringing sound. This of course increases that time. For example my Mogul makes the bluetooth headset ring as soon as it gets the call, but it doesn't play its own ringer for another second or two.

You can decrease your slot cycle in phone programming if you want. I have mine at '1' so my phone rings a bit faster. However a lower slot cycle will use up a bit more battery life. It's possible to change if you know what you're doing, but you'll have to be familiar with the programming menus of your particular phone and also have your MSL code. Note that you can break your phone trying to do this if you do something wrong, and if you call Tech Support for a fix they will send ex-CEO Gary Forsee who will get drunk in your living room, pass out on your couch and refuse to leave. The programming procedure also varies from phone to phone.
Suggestions for Sprint:Time the phone rings before voicemail...

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Theres an option if you live in an area with bad signal to check the tower more frequently. Its called "SLOT CYCLE INDEX"

Lol hmmm maybe I'm not picking up what your putting down (or vice versa) but .... click this link which will take you to my thread which is stickied at the top of the hero hacks sub-forum which fully explains how to change your SCI and why you'd want to change your SCI. Additionally if you read the entire thread I have a few gems I've put down which may assist you.

There are other little tricks you can change in that menu but the most important of which gets deleted if you update your sprint PCS profile so i dont feel like writing it out just to hear people complain when it disappears :) Also it is illegal (i think) to change one of these values to a specific value because its reserved for emergency calling

From the thread:
Slot Cycle Index (SCI) - You can tweak your Slot Cycle Index (SCI) to make your phone poll the tower more often. This makes your texts and phone calls come through quicker. This setting is a trade off between lag (most noticeable when receiving calls) and battery life. The default value on our phones is 2. Every step of 1 adds 1.28 seconds to the poll time, so at a value of 2 it is only polling every 5 seconds or so. If you lower this to 1, the phone polls every 2.5 seconds. This won't affect battery life much in areas of good coverage, but may impact it noticeably if you're in a poor reception area.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae