Aight. I had unrevoked1 and uninstalled it for the OTA (along with wireless tether and overclock widget). I'm new to android and didn't realize that I had to wait til the unrevoked-team had to do a update first before I install it post-OTA..

So now I'm getting desperate and impatient because my battery life was sweet with the overclock widget. So I'm thinking about doing a full root to my Evo with these method: [TUTORIAL] *****-PROOF Root Guide! - Android Forums ... but do I have to wait for something since I already got the OTA or am I good to go?
    06-29-2010 09:00 PM
    down grade.

run the RUU (follow my post in stickied), should put you back to the original version. then root that.
    sj808 likes this.
    06-29-2010 09:39 PM
    thanks! I have a question tho, is there any other option to back up my Evo since I can't run Titanium since I dont have a soft or full root?
    06-29-2010 10:16 PM
    did you have it backed up prior? probly not then, wait for unrevoked. then downgrade, then root.
    06-29-2010 11:09 PM
    I just tried to downgrade the RUU and got Error 140 and my only option was to exit. My phone had never been rooted and I did the OTA update yesterday.
    06-29-2010 11:21 PM
    did you have it backed up prior? probly not then, wait for unrevoked. then downgrade, then root.
    I just did a backup for data and apps with MyBackup from the app market... hopefully it works.
    06-29-2010 11:36 PM
    It works fine, unfortunately this downgrade doesn't if you did the OTA update yesterday.

CLE
    06-29-2010 11:40 PM
    Aight. I had unrevoked1 and uninstalled it for the OTA (along with wireless tether and overclock widget). I'm new to android and didn't realize that I had to wait til the unrevoked-team had to do a update first before I install it post-OTA..

So now I'm getting desperate and impatient because my battery life was sweet with the overclock widget. So I'm thinking about doing a full root to my Evo with these method: [TUTORIAL] *****-PROOF Root Guide! - Android Forums ... but do I have to wait for something since I already got the OTA or am I good to go?
    Did you try the first image in that guide at XDA?
    06-29-2010 11:52 PM
    yeah this RUU doesn't work with the latest OTA. I got the 140 error as well, tried twice. damn..
    06-29-2010 11:54 PM
    Liquid.......Might be a good time to update your Sticky Post on how to Downgrade.
    06-30-2010 12:13 AM
    There is no current downgrade if you've applied the newest OTA. It changes the versions of hboot and the RUU can not overwrite it.

Give it a few days
    06-30-2010 12:16 AM
    So, if wanna fully root, you have to downgrade first, am i right? If so, does that mean just follow LJ's sticky instruction to install that RUU?
    06-30-2010 12:51 AM
    There is no current downgrade if you've applied the newest OTA. It changes the versions of hboot and the RUU can not overwrite it.

Give it a few days
    so damn... I have to wait for either an updated unrevoked and a RUU?? why did I update? LOL
    06-30-2010 12:58 AM
    That is why I have *not* updated yet.. I even turned off the auto check on my phone

I was using unrEVOked, and upgraded to unrEVOked 2 yesterday then created a backup (which BTW was silly how painless it was to do). Now i'm just waiting for the unrEVOked team to release the OTA update rooted ROM, but they are trying to chase down a WiMax bug.

The OPs best bet is to sit and wait so see what the various teams come up with for a fix or a RUU
    06-30-2010 07:24 AM
    Like others I am anxiously awaiting the unrevoked team to release an updated fix so I can reroot my phone. Why oh why did I install the OTA update? That will not happen again until it can be rooted.
    06-30-2010 09:44 AM
    So, if I was wanting to root and flash new Rom, and haven't previously used unrevoked, but did do the ota from a few days ago, am I screwed as well?

I've only started reading about rooting and flashing for an hour, but it sounds as if the ruu doesn't work after update. Even if I could root, which I don't think I can with the update installed, I wouldn't be able to flash Rom.

What about a rtn reset? Will that remove the update?

Thanks, Cody
    06-30-2010 09:46 AM
    Maybe there should be a sticky about the dangers of accepting an over the air update with a phone that has been rooted or that you want to root. I took the OTA update without realizing that it eliminated options. Granted, I'm a noob and experienced users probably knew this well in advance...
    06-30-2010 09:50 AM
    Maybe there should be a sticky about the dangers of accepting an over the air update with a phone that has been rooted or that you want to root. I took the OTA update without realizing that it eliminated options. Granted, I'm a noob and experienced users probably knew this well in advance...
    I agree.

I am a long time windows mobile and blackberry user. I have flashed thousands of times and never thought of something like this.

I wanted to wait a few weeks and play with it stock before I flash a custom Rom. I just started researching it this morning and looks like I'll have to wait now, oh well.
    06-30-2010 10:02 AM
    I agree as well. I've flashed winmo devices before with no problems like this... Even with a homebrewed pre, they always had topics explaining it I'm forums ... and even pre central's blog would remind people what to do with your patches and such when the update dropped.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    06-30-2010 10:12 AM
    Darn , sorry guys thats my bad. I didn't realize that OTA changed the hboot. Give me a bit and let me see if i can get something together to downgrade, or if a new method of root comes out first.
    06-30-2010 12:23 PM
    That is why I have *not* updated yet.. I even turned off the auto check on my phone
    Where do you do that?

I read Sprint pulled the OTA update for now so this would be a great time for me to do this. I didn't accept the OTA last night when it showed up on my phone and haven't seen it since. Now I know why.
    06-30-2010 03:12 PM
    G
    Darn , sorry guys thats my bad. I didn't realize that OTA changed the hboot. Give me a bit and let me see if i can get something together to downgrade, or if a new method of root comes out first.
    thank you Jesus. Lol
    06-30-2010 09:21 PM
    Where do you do that?

I read Sprint pulled the OTA update for now so this would be a great time for me to do this. I didn't accept the OTA last night when it showed up on my phone and haven't seen it since. Now I know why.
    Anyone? I rejected the OTA update again tonight.
    06-30-2010 10:41 PM
    If you go to menu>settings>>system updates>htc software update>uncheck scheduled check it won't check for updates.
    06-30-2010 10:50 PM
    same thing to me after the update its a wrap i will wait to cuss this update didt change anything for me on the good end.
    07-01-2010 07:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD