[ROOT] Using SetCPU + Perflock Disabler to Save Battery, Underclock

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
if you've done nothing besides unrevoked, then you are still on the stock Rom. Although it sounds like you haven't rooted successfully yet if setcpu is giving you that error.

Check if you have root: do you see Superuser in your app list?

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G.

Yes, I have SU. I am rooted. The whole unrevoked process to all of 90 seconds and went flawlessly. I have a green light on SetCPU. It only seems to do it on reboot.

I downloaded ROM Manager because I want to install Cyanogen's ROM when it's ready. Not quite sure how to use it, though. I figured out it wants to install some program frommwithin the app, cinderblock, or something like that.

Haven't had the nads to go any further.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
This looks great. Two questions if I may:

I assume the priority is just relative, and the actual values don't matter. Is that correct?

What effect will changing the sampling rate on the advanced tab have? I'm guessing a higher setting will impact performance less, but changes to profiles will lag more? Is there any potential advantage to changing this?

Thanks!

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I have SU. I am rooted. The whole unrevoked process to all of 90 seconds and went flawlessly. I have a green light on SetCPU. It only seems to do it on reboot.

I downloaded ROM Manager because I want to install Cyanogen's ROM when it's ready. Not quite sure how to use it, though. I figured out it wants to install some program frommwithin the app, cinderblock, or something like that.

Haven't had the nads to go any further.

Hmm if you're rooted correctly, and you are on stock kernel, then I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. When you disable profiles and set Main tab's MAX to 245mhz, you should get around 5000ms not 1000ms.

I'm trying out CyanogenMod 6 too. it's working great so far! Is it asking you to install ClockworkRecovery? The first item on the list (when you open ROM Manager) should be what you press to install that.

This looks great. Two questions if I may:

I assume the priority is just relative, and the actual values don't matter. Is that correct?

What effect will changing the sampling rate on the advanced tab have? I'm guessing a higher setting will impact performance less, but changes to profiles will lag more? Is there any potential advantage to changing this?

Thanks!

Yes priority is relative.

I think you're on the right track, but personally I recommend not touching those. I've never seen reports saying changing the sampling rate improved performance.

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I gotta tell ya, PPB, I'm a little confused. When I reboot I immediately get notification that SetCPU has been granted SU Permissions. The same for Titanium Backup. I've stopped doing Preflock because I don't think it's doing anything. At least no difference that I can see or measure. I've never gotten above 1307 on Long Bench.

Finally able to install ClockWorkRecovery after updating the App. Have not installed Cyanogens ROM, yet. I backed up my ROM, though, but wasn't prepared for it to enter into Recovery mode. Almost crapped my pants.

If I install a new ROM and don't like it is it easy to just restore my backup ROM? Does it erase my settings and stuff? Thanks, brah.

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I gotta tell ya, PPB, I'm a little confused. When I reboot I immediately get notification that SetCPU has been granted SU Permissions. The same for Titanium Backup. I've stopped doing Preflock because I don't think it's doing anything. At least no difference that I can see or measure. I've never gotten above 1307 on Long Bench.

Finally able to install ClockWorkRecovery after updating the App. Have not installed Cyanogens ROM, yet. I backed up my ROM, though, but wasn't prepared for it to enter into Recovery mode. Almost crapped my pants.

If I install a new ROM and don't like it is it easy to just restore my backup ROM? Does it erase my settings and stuff? Thanks, brah.

lol yea that's why I'm saying I can't explain why it's not working for you. If you've never gotten above 1307 then it means you've never been able to force the CPU to be 245mhz. For some reason Perflock Disabler is not working for you.

Yea if you make a Nandroid backup (through ROM Manager) then you'll be able to restore everything exactly the way it was.

teiresias

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the stock ROM, rooted via unrevoked, and have been running this for a few days. I don't seem to need to redo the perflock when I reboot the phone though, which is odd, though I can verify via the long bench that the clock speed is changing. Is this supposed to be like this, I was under the impression it wasn't.

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the stock ROM, rooted via unrevoked, and have been running this for a few days. I don't seem to need to redo the perflock when I reboot the phone though, which is odd, though I can verify via the long bench that the clock speed is changing. Is this supposed to be like this, I was under the impression it wasn't.
First time I've heard of it too. Maybe it's an unrevoked 3 thing?
does your custom kernal that you use disable perflock? and can you help explain how to install it, im a noob XD

That kernel I've posted has perflock disabled. Also, any kernel that advertises overclocking must have perflock disabled. To install akernel, download the "flashable zip" and put it on your sd card, open Rom Manager on your Evo, select Install from SD Card, and browse to the zip. Don't select Wipe Data/Cache, though you may want to select backup precious rom.

rocklee99

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
If you wouldnt mind helping then can you please tell me what the difference between a rom and kernel is?

i want to root with "simple root" and update to 1.47, but after that i want to do the set CPU thing, but i dont want to reaply it every boot, so i want your custom kernel cuz you said it disables that

and does this kernel ruin anything? (wifi, camera, 4g?)

im consfused and just would like some answers, because all these roms sound nice, but then theres "kernels" and "radios" and "wipes"....im lost:(

after i root, do i need to wipe to use that kernel?

and is it a stock kernel? again i dont know if its like a rom or whatever

rocklee99

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
sorry for multiple questions, but on the kernel post, theres a bunch of links, "flashable zip normal voltage, low voltage, 2.1 eclair, and then flashable zip 4g and wifi use with custom kernel, im confused on which one to pick (im on 2.1 eclair) and i want all feature (4g, wifi, and camera) to work

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If you wouldnt mind helping then can you please tell me what the difference between a rom and kernel is?

i want to root with "simple root" and update to 1.47, but after that i want to do the set CPU thing, but i dont want to reaply it every boot, so i want your custom kernel cuz you said it disables that

and does this kernel ruin anything? (wifi, camera, 4g?)

im consfused and just would like some answers, because all these roms sound nice, but then theres "kernels" and "radios" and "wipes"....im lost:(

after i root, do i need to wipe to use that kernel?

and is it a stock kernel? again i dont know if its like a rom or whatever
Think of the kernel as a replaceable part of a ROM. Some Roms come with their own custom kernel, and you are able to find kernels by themselves, which are not tied to a single rom.
You might want to flash this kernel instead since its more recent [Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, FPS 'fix' for Epson + Nova, now with hdmi - Version 3.7.5 - xda-developers

If the kernel breaks anything, it will be listed in the kernel thread's first post. You don't need to wipe before installing any kernels. The kernel is "custom" so by definition it is not stock.

rocklee99

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
can i ask why i should use the one you suggested? is there much of a difference in the two? and how do i know if a kernel breaks?

edit: oh wait, that link you showed me is newer than ur first post?

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
can i ask why i should use the one you suggested? is there much of a difference in the two? and how do i know if a kernel breaks?

edit: oh wait, that link you showed me is newer than ur first post?

Yes, the one I put on the OP has not been updated since 7/7

It doesn't really make sense to say the kernel "breaks". If it freezes your Evo all the tome or something then just restore from the backup ROM Manager made.

rocklee99

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
no one more thing, about those backups, what and how does nandroid backup work? and whats this rom manager?

btw your the best, thanx for all the answers, your awesome!

rocklee99

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
hey, you said some kernel arent attached to roms, like this one, does it need to be?

and do u need specific radio files or anything for this kernel? or am i ok, just flash and were good?

rocklee99

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
again, sorry for so many questions, but heres a different one, the froyo 2.2 update has just been rolled out OTA, so uhh, i installed the kernal that u gave me in the link above, so now...how do i keep the kernal and go to froyo 2.2???

and when i install a different rom, will this kernal be erased?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

lol yea that's why I'm saying I can't explain why it's not working for you. If you've never gotten above 1307 then it means you've never been able to force the CPU to be 245mhz. For some reason Perflock Disabler is not working for you.

I'm rooted with unrevoked3, otherwise completely stock ROM. I sometimes have to try the Perflock disable 4 or 5 times before it takes.

First time I've heard of it too. Maybe it's an unrevoked 3 thing?

I still need to run the perflock disable after unrevoked3.

And let me add my thanks to the developer of this. My battery life is dramatically better. I've been having problems the last 2 days with auto-sync getting turned off, but I can't imagine that's because of this.

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
no one more thing, about those backups, what and how does nandroid backup work? and whats this rom manager?

btw your the best, thanx for all the answers, your awesome!
nandroid makes a perfect backup of everything, so when you restore the backup, it's exactly as it was before. I think it makes images of the system's partitions, thought I'm not exactly sure.
hey, you said some kernel arent attached to roms, like this one, does it need to be?

and do u need specific radio files or anything for this kernel? or am i ok, just flash and were good?
just flash and follow the specific kernel's directions
again, sorry for so many questions, but heres a different one, the froyo 2.2 update has just been rolled out OTA, so uhh, i installed the kernal that u gave me in the link above, so now...how do i keep the kernal and go to froyo 2.2???

and when i install a different rom, will this kernal be erased?
Make sure you use a kernel advertised with 2.2 support. The latest netarchy kernel in XDA has 2.2 froyo support. Yes, kernels get overwritten when you install a ROM.
hey does the kernel i used affect this at all? and does doing this REALLY affect my battery life or not much?
Yes. Kernels might be undervoltaged at lower CPU speeds to further save battery life. Read the kernel's thread to find out more about each individual kernel. Back when I had 2.1 on my Evo, this saved a boatload of battery. I haven't done much testing since the OTA, but on Froyo it seems like battery life has not been improving as much. I'm on CyanogenMod.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21