EVO Rooting question

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello, sorry for the noob questions, I have looked and can't seem to find a clear answer. I am considering rooting my EVO, but from reading the instructions, it looks like rooting will completely erase my phone and all the apps I currently have. It isn't clear to me if these will come back or not (I definately don't want to have to re-purchase any) after the rooting is complete. I had previously used the unrEVOked method, since all I really wanted to do at that time was to use wireless tether. However, I would like to be able to eliminate some of the crapps that came with the phone, but that is not as critical to me as not having to re-purchase my apps.

My questions are:
I was looking at the simpleroot method, does this still work with the newest update? (I have the latest update from 6-29)
Is there a full root method that will not erase your phone?
Will I have to re-purchase my apps?
Will I have to re-work my settings (e.g. setting up email, WiFi networks, etc.)?
Will I lose Sense (I actually like it)?
Will I be able to partake in OTA updates?
Any other surprises?

What I am really looking for is just to get full superuser permissions without really changing anything else on the phone (ala the unrEVOked mathod) but to also be able to delete the bloatware that came with the phone. It is much more critical for me to not have to re-purchase my apps. I really don't want to have to re-work my settings either, but I would if I absolutely have to.

Given this, should I go ahead and do a full root, or just deal with the bloatware and wait for unrEVOked to update their method for the new update?

Any assistance/advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the new simpleroot will root a phone with the OTA
Any full root will erase the phone, unrevoked simple let us back up some info before that happened.
No, you wont have to re-purchase apps. They are linked to you gmail account.
Yes you will have to re-work your settings.
You will keep sense if you keep the stock rom, or flash a rom with sense such as RvU.
No you should never partake in OTA Updates.

Hopes that helps

bagger

May 7, 2010
Visit site
If you have root through the unrevoked method, you can install titanium backup and run a backup prior to real rooting. Then after you're fully rooted, go to the marketplace and re-download the titanium backup then restore your apps that way!

Titanium backup puts a file on your SD card, so as long as you don't format that, your info has a safe place to be.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If you have root through the unrevoked method, you can install titanium backup and run a backup prior to real rooting. Then after you're fully rooted, go to the marketplace and re-download the titanium backup then restore your apps that way!

Titanium backup puts a file on your SD card, so as long as you don't format that, your info has a safe place to be.

unless you installed the OTA

EvoRoy

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm new here so don't want to start a bunch of new threads on stuff that has already been answered so I am going to kind of hijack this thread. I have a rooted evo I rooted it via the htcevohacks instructions but I never performed the nand backup/restore because there was a problem with one of the files. Now I am ready to do the nand backup can I do the unrevoked method or which method should I go with? I have not done the latest download (1.32.651.6) for fear it will unroot my phone. I have wifi tether overclock and a few others that require root.

clsiburt

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
One thing I'm not quite clear on is once I've done a nand backup (in my case using ROM manager). Once I flash a new rom am I supposed to do a full restore, even if the new ROM is a completely different custom brand? Will that not overwrite OS files? I also have a Titanium backup, but restoring that doesn't restore certain items, such as my homescreen customizations.

If I truly can do a full nand restore, trying new ROM's will be a breeze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835