Root = More Battery Life?

js2393

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
So, after browsing these forums for a little over a month, I've finally gotten my Evo and have had a few days to play with it. I'm fairly confident that I want to fully root my EVO, I'm just not 100% sure of how I should go about it.

I'm mainly interested in increasing BATTERY LIFE. I currently get decent battery life, but I somewhat recall hearing about custom ROMs making it possible to last on a single charge even longer. Is this true? If so, which ROMs are the best for increasing battery life?

Also, just out of curiosity, for those of you with rooted EVOs, what stock/custom ROM are you running?

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
So, after browsing these forums for a little over a month, I've finally gotten my Evo and have had a few days to play with it. I'm fairly confident that I want to fully root my EVO, I'm just not 100% sure of how I should go about it.

I'm mainly interested in increasing BATTERY LIFE. I currently get decent battery life, but I somewhat recall hearing about custom ROMs making it possible to last on a single charge even longer. Is this true? If so, which ROMs are the best for increasing battery life?

Also, just out of curiosity, for those of you with rooted EVOs, what stock/custom ROM are you running?

the baked snack rom may extend your battery. it undervolts when the screen is off.

carguy4471#AC

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is most definately worth it. There are many good ROMs, including the one mentioned above.

I personally run Fresh 1.0.1, with one of his custom kernels. I have done no overclocking or anything else other than root/ROM/kernel. The phone is blazing fast and smooth as glass. My battery lasts easily 4 times what it did stock. The custom kernel unlocks the 30fps cap, and underclocks while sleeping.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is most definately worth it. There are many good ROMs, including the one mentioned above.

I personally run Fresh 1.0.1, with one of his custom kernels. I have done no overclocking or anything else other than root/ROM/kernel. The phone is blazing fast and smooth as glass. My battery lasts easily 4 times what it did stock. The custom kernel unlocks the 30fps cap, and underclocks while sleeping.

does fresh come with a custom kernel or do you need to get it separately? thats what i have installed now. just did it today.

js2393

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
How did you guys go about rooting your EVOs? I've been looking at SimpleRoot for 1.47.651.1, but I want to confirm that it's safe and doesn't appear to have any side effects...

The Twanksta

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
With the latest Baked Snacks ROM I am consistently getting between 35-40hrs of use. I would say I am a moderate user.

Unrooted, I would unplug at 9am, battery would be around 15-20% by 10or 11pm and I would kill it around 12am(I use this time to play with new apps, widgets, last minute browsing before bed).

Now rooted, with Baked Snack ROM, I can EASILY get to the same point and still have 50% left and that last 50% will get me through more than half of the next day without charging. When Baked Snack is idle(screen off) you will see little to NO battery drain at all. I can go to bed and wake up at the same percentage as I left it the night before.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
With the latest Baked Snacks ROM I am consistently getting between 35-40hrs of use. I would say I am a moderate user.

Unrooted, I would unplug at 9am, battery would be around 15-20% by 10or 11pm and I would kill it around 12am(I use this time to play with new apps, widgets, last minute browsing before bed).

Now rooted, with Baked Snack ROM, I can EASILY get to the same point and still have 50% left and that last 50% will get me through more than half of the next day without charging. When Baked Snack is idle(screen off) you will see little to NO battery drain at all. I can go to bed and wake up at the same percentage as I left it the night before.

i tried fresh out for the day. i havent really had time to test freshes battery but i think i may flash it back to baked snack, the battery wasnt spectacular, but it was better than stock. the only thing that bothered me about it was google goggles didnt work. maybe next flash it will

The Twanksta

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
i tried fresh out for the day. i havent really had time to test freshes battery but i think i may flash it back to baked snack, the battery wasnt spectacular, but it was better than stock. the only thing that bothered me about it was google goggles didnt work. maybe next flash it will

My goggles works fine, however I read yesterday that it only works on WIFI, and I WAS on WIFI when I tested it. I am on a WIFI signal 95% of the day, so its a non issue for me.

js2393

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Well I've decided to try out the SimpleRoot method and Baked Snack ROM. I'm satisfied with my EVO's battery life during use (easily gets me through the day), but the way it discharges after reaching full charge on the charger in the middle of the night is very annoying. It sounds like Baked Snack should fix this...

The Twanksta

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I've decided to try out the SimpleRoot method and Baked Snack ROM. I'm satisfied with my EVO's battery life during use (easily gets me through the day), but the way it discharges after reaching full charge on the charger in the middle of the night is very annoying. It sounds like Baked Snack should fix this...

You wont be disappointed if all goes well, I have had no issues and love the rom. I wont be switching from it until the cyanogen froyo rom is released, but there does seem to be a handful of people having difficulties with the Baked Snacks ROM. I dont know if its device specific, user error, or rom related though.

js2393

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
You wont be disappointed if all goes well, I have had no issues and love the rom. I wont be switching from it until the cyanogen froyo rom is released, but there does seem to be a handful of people having difficulties with the Baked Snacks ROM. I dont know if its device specific, user error, or rom related though.

What kind of device do you have? I'm on HW003 with a Novatek screen. Not sure if this'll make any difference, but it's worth a shot.

Also, does Baked Snack keep the Sense UI? I actually like it, but I can live without it.

js2393

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted my phone and am now in the process of installing Baked Snack. However, all the links to the Clockwork Recovery that I see are dead. Could someone reupload them?

The Twanksta

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
What kind of device do you have? I'm on HW003 with a Novatek screen. Not sure if this'll make any difference, but it's worth a shot.

Also, does Baked Snack keep the Sense UI? I actually like it, but I can live without it.

I have Hardware 002 with Nova Screen(launch day phone), have had no issues whatsoever with it. Bakes Snacks run perfectly on my phone, it also includeds Sense, however I went the Launcher Pro route. Have fun! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21