Don't hate the playa

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been having a helluva time getting simpleroot to work on my machine properly. I got lots of help. Still, in the end I got to the point where I could root but not flash. So, this morning I broke down and used Unrevoked. Everything works great. If the biggest downfall is that I can't uninstall sprint bloatware, I'll get over the emotional scarring.
Anyway, there are some users on here that I like to call superusers. They are very knowledgeable and always offer support. I won't name names, but there's a russian crew that I owe a debt of gratitude. Thank you, comrades.
Here's my question: Why do superusers express so much scorn for unrevoked? Is there something I'm missing? Is it an issue of purity or is it functional? So far so good for me with unrevoked, but I feel like I'm playing in the farm league still.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
So your having a good day cause you rooted ... wanna make it even better? You absolutely can remove the bloatware you just need to take a different approach.

Download the ROM of your choice to your PC. Open the ROM zip and go into system/app. Now delete the crap you don't want. Don't go crazy till you understand what your doing but then close out. Move the ROM to your SD card and flash it.

Hope this helps.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Actually I Used Unrevoked to gain Root then used Step 2 in Simple root for Nand...

So Im good now...

And you can delete bloatware with UnRevoked... Fire up ADB and your on your way i did it yesterday... :cool:

Also... Did you install Clockwork?

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
So true... ADB is like asking me if I'd like a root canal. :)
I did install clockwork.
Good to know that I can get rid of the bloatware.
So, with all of this, is there a reason NOT to use the unrevoked 3 root that I've been successful with?
EDIT: One more thing, if you use simpleroot for NAND, should I use the NAND unlock in the original 3 step or the NAND unlock in the OTA with the flash exploit. Or, does it really matter?

Last edited:

Saturn2K

May 24, 2010
Visit site
So true... ADB is like asking me if I'd like a root canal. :)
I did install clockwork.
Good to know that I can get rid of the bloatware.
So, with all of this, is there a reason NOT to use the unrevoked 3 root that I've been successful with?
EDIT: One more thing, if you use simpleroot for NAND, should I use the NAND unlock in the original 3 step or the NAND unlock in the OTA with the flash exploit. Or, does it really matter?

You should just do regular NAND unlocking. The flash exploit was for people with an unrooted phone that updated to the latest OTA and lost the ability to use the old exploit. When you have NAND unlocked, you can just download Root Explorer to get rid of your unwanted apps. It's a good file manager that will let you delete apk's from /system/app/.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
it's like asking a car guy about changing his own oil. or a tech geek about building their own pc. you learn more by doing it yourself and the point of rooting for many is to then mod their phone. it is more useful to you to know what is going on from start to finnish as opposed to using a shortcut.

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
And you can delete bloatware with UnRevoked... Fire up ADB and your on your way i did it yesterday... :cool:

OK, I fired up ADB after following the instructions on the xda site, but when I went to remove some of the bloatware, I got this error:

rm amazonmp3.apk
Cannot remove amazonmp3.apk Directory Not Empty

Any ideas???

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
OK, I fired up ADB after following the instructions on the xda site, but when I went to remove some of the bloatware, I got this error:

rm amazonmp3.apk
Cannot remove amazonmp3.apk Directory Not Empty

Any ideas???

Yeah ... Try This. XDA usually makes a lot of assumptions of what you do or don't know. Follow Jerry's guide as it makes no assumptions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34