HTC EVO 4G Unrevoked 3 Rooting Instructions

tiredOldMan

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
can't get it to work

I have tried several times on a Windows 7 64 bit and on an XP. On the 7 machine it hangs where it says it is "flashing recovery image. Do not touch your phone!" Well it has been 20 minutes and it seems like it would have flashed by now.

I am trying to get DroidWall to block internet connections, but I can't get this thing to root.

Failing that, does anyone know how to block internet connections on an EVO and have it password protected.

This is very frustrating. The first time I did it, I thought it was going to work, but I thought a program that locks out the access to the settings hung it up. It is called "Protector". I turned it off, but perhaps there is a half-way install hung up somewhere.

Dnomyar220

May 16, 2010
Visit site
so after much personal debate, I decided to run this on my brand new EVO (one week old). I had the latest updates on it. Only thing I would change is the info on installing the hboot drivers, unrevoked actually has a good wiki on this: public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]

Once these are installed, just run the reflash.exe program and it will start the unrevoked3 process, the rest is easy as pie. I'm off to go download and try wireless tether now :)

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
so after much personal debate, I decided to run this on my brand new EVO (one week old). I had the latest updates on it. Only thing I would change is the info on installing the hboot drivers, unrevoked actually has a good wiki on this: public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]

Once these are installed, just run the reflash.exe program and it will start the unrevoked3 process, the rest is easy as pie. I'm off to go download and try wireless tether now :)

Goodluck with that... :confused:

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site

facepalm.gif

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Wireless Tether works great on the 2.2 Evo /w unrevoked. I use it often with great success.

donnyespo1

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
HELP unrevoked3 for EVO

Ive followed all the steps as noted in this thread. Once I run unrevoked and states waiting for device I plug phone into usb unrevoked never reads it and remains @ waiting for device. I have done this 3 or 4 times now. Im running win xp seems once i plug phone in the device manager pops up to install software.

This is the first time ive tried to root so not a pro by any means.

Please help

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
ok i just went thru the process and now im at the clockworkmod recover screen ..... what now and it has an opition for backup and restore so do i use this to do a backup before i do anything else big thanks to all of yall

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
ok i just went thru the process and now im at the clockworkmod recover screen ..... what now and it has an opition for backup and restore so do i use this to do a backup before i do anything else big thanks to all of yall

Did you already run unrevoked 3? If you did then you shouldnt be there. Click fast reboot.

Sent From Tapatalk.

caleb02

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
does not allow me to uninstall nova..

how do i go back to original. I want to uninstall this unrevoked3 as it will not allow me to uninstall things like nova.

Last edited:

darkmandoose

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok everyone if you are running windows 7, you can still root your evo. All you have to do in right click on the reflash_package.exe file and go down to properties then click on the compatibility tab and set it to Windows XP sp3 and set it to run a administrator. Then run the app. If you are still getting that message install Advanced task killer on ur phone and kill all the task. That should fix the problem.

caleb02

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok everyone if you are running windows 7, you can still root your evo. All you have to do in right click on the reflash_package.exe file and go down to properties then click on the compatibility tab and set it to Windows XP sp3 and set it to run a administrator. Then run the app. If you are still getting that message install Advanced task killer on ur phone and kill all the task. That should fix the problem.

I have windows 7 pro 64bit. I just ran it as admin and thats it. No need to run in xp mode

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Just rooted (with sweating palms), and am now doing a Nandroid Backup. Looks to be going good so far. Hopefully i can get rid of bloat wearing down my device.