HTC EVO 4G Unrevoked 3 Rooting Instructions

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Mattchew86, did everything work for you? I'm thinking about rooting this weekend.

Yeah! It honestly took no more than 15 minutes ;)

The only thing I notices is my app drawer keeps closing while I'm running Titanium Backup, but after it was done everything was back to normal.

Follow the OP's instructions and you shouldn't have a problem.

Reactions: taadow1030

taadow1030

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Have fun ;)

And let me know what you think about CM. I'm still on the fence about it.

Hello Mattchew86. I stayed up literally half of last night rooting, flashing and customizing my phone. The rooting portion was easier than I thought it would be. ROM flashing took a while longer as I compared Youtube videos, forums notes, etc. I did learn a great deal though, so I'm still happy. I chose CM6 Stable, as I'm concerned about the GPS issue (perhaps fixed now?) in CM7. After a week or so, I may go ahead and flash again depending on feedback from other users.

As regards to CM6, I am genuinely happy with the performance. I purchased SetCPU and Overclocked/undervolted (happy that it worked with CM6's Kernal). Apps, etc open very quickly - even when compared with stock. I don't see 4G settings (although I did do a Nandroid backup), but it doesn't bother me as 4G is very poor in my house and at work. Thanks for your help and encouragement.

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello Mattchew86. I stayed up literally half of last night rooting, flashing and customizing my phone. The rooting portion was easier than I thought it would be. ROM flashing took a while longer as I compared Youtube videos, forums notes, etc. I did learn a great deal though, so I'm still happy. I chose CM6 Stable, as I'm concerned about the GPS issue (perhaps fixed now?) in CM7. After a week or so, I may go ahead and flash again depending on feedback from other users.

As regards to CM6, I am genuinely happy with the performance. I purchased SetCPU and Overclocked/undervolted (happy that it worked with CM6's Kernal). Apps, etc open very quickly - even when compared with stock. I don't see 4G settings (although I did do a Nandroid backup), but it doesn't bother me as 4G is very poor in my house and at work. Thanks for your help and encouragement.

Y U NO SLEEP :confused:

But seriously, I'm glad you're having fun. I just downloaded a couple ROMs, and will commence flashing here shortly.

Also, you're welcome for the help and encouragement. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: This community, and the community on XDA is amazing! They've been helping me out on here since I was a n00b, and they did it patiently. I love the interaction on here, and everyone is always quick to help one another. Anytime you need a hand, just ask. Someone will respond.

Peace out, home-skillet :p

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Will Unrevoked3 or forever work Evo with these specs:

004 hardware
2.10 hboot
3.70.651.1 software number
1.34_003 PRI
60675 PRL

I tried rooting using the other sticky by fredelement...but my phone gives me the Radio_v2 failed during the first pc36img.zip update (after adb pushing/z4root/rsa key backups).

bricetheone

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I have a 4g sprint phone 2.2 v I believe (purchased on Jan, 11 2011)

I am trying to install the unrevoked 3.3v.
I'm a n00b but I have tried to do some research about the "Data call failture" AKA "error 67" its interrupting the second time around installing the root after the phone reboots. Everything goes fine in tell the phone has to reboot because it changes the USB port from "charge only" back to "tethering" and thats where sprint is trying to make it so you have to pay for the "HOT SPOTS" but it is also screwing with my root :-(.....
I also tried the recommendations(where you change "reflash_package.exe into xp and use admin. fictions) from above and it still didn't work...

Any advise would greatly be appreciated! would love to see how this tethering feature works :D

bricetheone

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I tried again and it got to the point of unrevoked saying "it was a triumph" for a split tenths of a second and then now it says "communications with phone unexpectedly interrupted. Try again."
Damn thing likes to tease me :p..... I wanted to post this in my last post ^ but forgot.... Well hope someone can guide me through this mess! Thanks in advance.....

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Will Unrevoked3 or forever work Evo with these specs:

004 hardware
2.10 hboot
3.70.651.1 software number
1.34_003 PRI
60675 PRL

I tried rooting using the other sticky by fredelement...but my phone gives me the Radio_v2 failed during the first pc36img.zip update (after adb pushing/z4root/rsa key backups).

If you go onto Unrevoked's website, they'll list the different versions that they support. Just scroll down to see if your version is good.

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello,
I have a 4g sprint phone 2.2 v I believe (purchased on Jan, 11 2011)

I am trying to install the unrevoked 3.3v.
I'm a n00b but I have tried to do some research about the "Data call failture" AKA "error 67" its interrupting the second time around installing the root after the phone reboots. Everything goes fine in tell the phone has to reboot because it changes the USB port from "charge only" back to "tethering" and thats where sprint is trying to make it so you have to pay for the "HOT SPOTS" but it is also screwing with my root :-(.....

So wait, your phone changes on boot up from "Charge Only", to "Tether"?

Did you change the default setting on your USB connection?

bricetheone

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So wait, your phone changes on boot up from "Charge Only", to "Tether"?

Did you change the default setting on your USB connection?

:p I FIXED IT! worked like a charm with no problems.... just took a hard reset :mad:
MATT: I sure did change the default setting and it would still change on rebooting the phone or unplug the usb from charge only to tether..... But I was doing some more research and I think it really had to do with the extra apps I downloaded that was giving me the error 67 "Data call failure".

EVEN THOUGH, I had to go through all of this it is amazing still! I am using it as I write this :cool: Thanks for the help Matt and everyone else that left a post about this :p time to use this phones full potential now !!! haha:D

dholmes20

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
K so i am completely confused on how this is actually done. My computer doesn't let me open the html instructions on how to install the drivers. Any suggestions? HTC EVO 4g

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
@dholmes20 got to the unrevoked site where you got the drivers. All the instructions are on there. I didn't even use the HTML instructions that came with it. It lays it all out on there.

@ssappey Yes, you can use unrevoked to flash custom ROMs. I've been doing it for the past couple of weeks after I ran unrevoked, and have had no issues. You're good :)

westhillsat

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Tried to run Unrevoked 3.

This is what I got:

"Failed to push recovery. Terminating."

Any ideas on a fix to this?

Prior to doing it make sure if HTC sync is on your computer remove it and download the drivers that are needed. This was mentioned in the you tube videos and on the internet.
Other than that I couldn't say. I didn't have much trouble doing it.

WeGlobal

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Prior to doing it make sure if HTC sync is on your computer remove it and download the drivers that are needed. This was mentioned in the you tube videos and on the internet.
Other than that I couldn't say. I didn't have much trouble doing it.

Thanks, I had an old version of HTC Sync, so I got rid of that and the drivers, and then did a re-install of the drivers, excluding Sync.

I've finished root!!!!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed