Unrevoked only got $1100 in donations.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Electronic Frontier Foundation:

I know hackers don't do it for the money but this still seems sad to me. They've only received donations of $1,100 for doing work that tens of thousands enjoy?

I know Evo users are the same people who cry over an extra 10.00 a month, but when a developer allows you to save $360 a year... how is it that you don't support that developer?

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Its the American way. everyone enjoys having something for free.
You give them the option to not pay for it, and they wont pay for it. lol

disclaimer: I dont run Unrevoked or even rooted for that matter. So my opinion is null. Im just a cheapskate that wont ever deny it hahahah

whats77inaname

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I considered donating, but I had to play with it awhile first. After I found out that I couldn't install a custom ROM, and had to re-root my phone to do so, I donated to the person whose ROM I'm using after I had to reroot.

As I find more ROMs that I like, I'll continue to donate to the developers that produce them.

oldgreg20

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Thats a major guilt trip. its a donation, you give if you want and if you dont, then you dont. getting 1,100 dollars is a good chunk of change.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
They weren't accepting donations at first.
On their site they said "We aren't accepting donations right now." when unrevoked3 came out.

I don't believe all people are cheapskates.
On Precentral they raised $9,000+ in one week for the WebOS Internals team. That was around when I was leaving to come to Android so I don't know how much they finally donated... probably a lot more.

Last edited:

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thats a major guilt trip. its a donation, you give if you want and if you dont, then you dont. getting 1,100 dollars is a good chunk of change.

Interesting...

Wasn't trying to do the guilt trip thing... just drawing attention to some of the developers who help us save money... Interesting attitude towards helping tho...

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree, donations are donations. They aren't mandatory, unlike some app developers that require you to donate in order to use their app. I like the option open, but I don't like being forced to donate or have a guilty feeling when someone posts that this or that only made $1100. If they only made that much, why don't you match the balance?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that $1100 has anything to do with unrevoked. The Donate button says donate to the EFF, not donate to Unrevoked.

While I appreciate the work of the EFF, I think this page is misleading at best. They're implying that the donation will go to unrevoked, which is not the case.

duckwars

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
For once, they aren't NECESSARILY savin gyou any money. Even if I unrevoked and then run wireless tether, that only saves me money IF I would have bought the Sprint tether, which I wouldn't have.

It does give me an extra feature, but it doesn't really save money. Just for the record, I didn't use unrevoked I used simple root.

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Electronic Frontier Foundation:

I know hackers don't do it for the money but this still seems sad to me. They've only received donations of $1,100 for doing work that tens of thousands enjoy?

I know Evo users are the same people who cry over an extra 10.00 a month, but when a developer allows you to save $360 a year... how is it that you don't support that developer?
meyerweb has it right, this site has nothing to do with unrevoked and none of the money donated on this site goes to unrevoked, it goes to the EFF. The EFF is the foundation that fought to get rooting exempted from the DCMA.