Whats the difference between these two root update files?

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
So for my own curiosity what is the difference between the two linked roms styles below. I know they are different versions one being 2.1 and one being 2.2. I get that. The first link you can update as if you are updating an official update, the second needs to be flashed through recovery. Does the first link get signed somehow? From what I understand RUU plays apart in the creation. Also the second link you have to flash the radios separately and the first link everthing is included but is root safe with .76 HBOOT. Is the process different in creating these roms? I'm assuming yes.

How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers

HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers

Last edited:

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
isn't the first one 2.1?

BOO TehMan!! :p I know that...that's why I said I know it's different versions...mostly whats the difference in the creation of them? The first one seems to have really no issues at all when you install it and you install it as you would a normal official update after being root with .76 HBOOT...the other you have to flash and has had some issues. Why?

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I think the first one is the full root ROM, HBOOT, Recovery, etc. Since you don't have a recovery console at this point you need to install it via the PCIMG36.zip on the root SD card. The second is just a ROM and you NEED to be ROOTED and therefore should already have a recovery console so you install it that way.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I think the first one is the full root ROM, HBOOT, Recovery, etc. Since you don't have a recovery console at this point you need to install it via the PCIMG36.zip on the root SD card. The second is just a ROM and you NEED to be ROOTED and therefore should already have a recovery console so you install it that way.

This makes sense, but is it really as simple as that? So with your logic, I could theoretically pack into a zip the rooted 2.2 rom, the radios, Amon RA's recovery, the eng-hboot, and boot.img and call it PC36IMG and install it normally from the root of my SD card...

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
This makes sense, but is it really as simple as that? So with your logic, I could theoretically pack into a zip the rooted 2.2 rom, the radios, Amon RA's recovery, the eng-hboot, and boot.img and call it PC36IMG and install it normally from the root of my SD card...

Not sure but as I think I understand it... Yes, if you have unlocked NAND but if you are not rooted/unlocked NAND then there has got to be a hack somewhere before you can do this.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Not sure but as I think I understand it... Yes, if you have unlocked NAND but if you are not rooted/unlocked NAND then there has got to be a hack somewhere before you can do this.

Thanks Robin for the perspective. Well, right. I'm was just having a hard time with understanding the dynamics of the files themselves.