Is my new/used phone already rooted?

anon(523450)

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I am brand new to the HTC EVO 4G, but not new to rooting (though still would call myself a newbie.) as I have previously rooted 2 different phones (LG Optimus S and Samsung Moment).
However, I am beginning to wonder if this EVO was rooted already... bought it off Ebay, definitely not factory wiped or anything. I tried running the Revolutionary tool and got this error message: "Your device, supersonic with HBOOT 2.18.0001 is not supported at this time." etc...
In the "about phone" section, it tells me that it is running Android 2.3.5 Baseband 2.15.00.12.19 and Kernel 2.6.35.10
I don't recall my other phones having all that info prior to rooting.... But I don't see any kind of custom recovery either.
I tried running Titanium Backup, but it fails to find root. Do I just need to install superuser? Is there any danger in installing superuser if the phone isn't actually rooted? What is are the hot keys (or whatever it is called) for rebooting into recovery with this phone? Hold down power and and what?

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Karen

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
In the "about phone" section, it tells me that it is running Android 2.3.5 Baseband 2.15.00.12.19 and Kernel 2.6.35.10
I don't recall my other phones having all that info prior to rooting

Yes this is normal to see that information listed under the About Phone section.

What would be abnormal is to see a custom name or something out of the ordinary in those numbers which developers like to do, dropping a little edit to the build.prop and adding the name of the ROM or kernel, etc being used.

I would say if you don't have a Superuser app listed then its doubtful its rooted. Possibly at the most it might have the boot loader unlocked.

dubyasux

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
To determine whether your phone is rooted, power the phone off completely. Next boot into the bootloader by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously. When you get to the bootloader screen, look at the top line. If it says LOCKED, your phone has not been rooted; however, because Revolutionary does not work with Hboot version 2.18.0001, you need to unlock and root your phone by following the directions at http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...26-guide-rooting-phone-hboot-2-18-0001-a.html. On the other hand, if the top line on the bootloader screen says UNLOCKED, you should be able to install SU and BusyBox to root the phone or simply flash a rooted custom ROM to gain root privileges.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci