All I want is Frodo 2.2 + root...but how???

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
All I want to do is upgrade to Froyo 2.2 and retain root so that I can use Wireless Tether. I've been reading several different EVO/Android forums but it seems like the more I read, the more confusing it gets. I'm still a noob, but here are my questions so I hope someone can lay it all out in the open for me.

Currently, my EVO has Unrevoked3 applied so I'm running on the "updated" 2.1, and I have root access and wireless tether is working as of now. Phone specs are:

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: 2.05.00.06.10
Build/Software number: 1.47.651.1
PRI version: 1.40_003
PRL version: 60665

1) What is the best/most reliable way for me to update to 2.2? Can I use Unrevoked Forever to do so? Or do I have to use some manual method? Toast's method? ROM Manager?

2) I read the steps for installing on the Unrevoked site, but I don't understand the terms it uses. It says to "flash from custom recovery". First of all, how do I access this custom recovery tool or whatever? Second, some ppl said they use a ROM Manager. Other sites say to "boot into recovery". Still, some instructions say boot into Clockwork....How do these method differ? Or are they the same? Which do I use???

3) One post says "After you unrevoke4, you can use your custom recovery image to flash a rooted 2.2 stock rom". I dont understand. A ROM is an image...so how can I use an image to flash another image?? makes no sense =\

4) Is "recovery" an app/tool that is already on the phone (or needs to be downloaded), and if so how do I access it? Or is it a ROM image?

5) After unrevoked is done, do I accept the OTA firmware update (i think it's the ugrade to Froyo update that keeps popping up)?

6) Which ROM needs to be installed? The zip that Unrevoked is going to install, or HTC Stock Froyo 3.26.651.6 [Rooted][Deodex'd], or both?

7) What is PRI and PRL and why are ppl so concerned about getting those updated? Will they get updated automatically once Frodo is installed?

8) Same deal with the Wimax and Radio updates (HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers). What do they do? Why do ppl want to retain them so badly, and if they are so important, why don't the updated ROMs or OTAs have them included?

9) What's the difference b/t a Nandroid backup and a Titanium backup? And which one should I do?

Please help! Thanks!

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
frodo.jpg

Here you go man... Enjoy your Frodo... :cool:

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Apparently nobody here wants to answer your questions. I would help but I have most of the same questions you do. I find most of the people around here "in the know" dont really like to share and prefer to ridicule those that ask what are in their opinion are dumb questions. Your best bet is to try one of the other Android forums.

I can tell you that I also had 2.1 with Unrevoked3 and I manged to upgrade to 2.2 rooted by flashing the ROM and the radio updates found in this thread HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers

The way I did it (talking from memory here so I may get something wrong) is I downloaded all three zip files and place them in the root of my SD card. The I rebooted and held down the down volume button. This brings up a menu and I chose "recovery" then I chose "Clockworkmod" then I chose wipe all data, then I chose something like "install custom zip from SD" then I navigated to the ROM file and flashed it. I rebooted and repeated the above process for each radio file. The only difference is that after you flash the radios it prompts you to reboot directly from the boot loader.

Hope it helps..

Last edited:

AndroidAddict

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Apparently nobody here wants to answer your questions. I would help but I have most of the same questions you do. I find most of the people around here "in the know" dont really like to share and prefer to ridicule those that ask what are in their opinion are dumb questions. Your best bet is to try one of the other Android forums.

I can tell you that I also had 2.1 with Unrevoked3 and I manged to upgrade to 2.2 rooted by flashing the ROM and the radio updates found in this thread HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers

The way I did it (talking from memory here so I may get something wrong) is I downloaded all three zip files and place them in the root of my SD card. The I rebooted and held down the down volume button. This brings up a menu and I chose "recovery" then I chose "Clockworkmod" then I chose wipe all data, then I chose something like "install custom zip from SD" then I navigated to the ROM file and flashed it. I rebooted and repeated the above process for each radio file. The only difference is that after you flash the radios it prompts you to reboot directly from the boot loader.

Hope it helps..

N00bs ^.^

and

Question was answered in first reply..

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Hope it helps..

Idk what other android forums you've been on but I find people here to be more helpful than on most other forums. I'm sorry that sometimes we like to have fun on here.

On to the topic. Clockwork is custom recovery. If you root than accept the OTA you will lose root. Simple root is the best way (IMO) to root. Some ROM's require NAND to bee unlocked and unrevoked doesn't do that.

NAND backup copies everything on your phone (like making a ghost image on your computer) while titanium backup only copies apps, app data, and system settings and data. You should do both. Create a NAND backup before you flash a ROM, and backup apps with titanium backup (it will make it easier to restore them after the flash).

One more thing (and I'm not trying to be mean), most of these questions have already been answered on here somewhere. There is a sticky on how to root. If you search you will find out about recovery.

I'm sure nobody meant to offend anyone with their posts but a little searching before you post will go a long way. That's how I got started with all of this (and with the help of all three great people on here).

If you think we aren't helpful copy the OP and post it on XDA and see what kind of response you get.

Edit: Sorry if I missed a question I was going from memory as I am on my phone.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk Pro

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
All I want to do is upgrade to Froyo 2.2 and retain root so that I can use Wireless Tether. I've been reading several different EVO/Android forums but it seems like the more I read, the more confusing it gets. I'm still a noob, but here are my questions so I hope someone can lay it all out in the open for me.

Currently, my EVO has Unrevoked3 applied so I'm running on the "updated" 2.1, and I have root access and wireless tether is working as of now. Phone specs are:

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: 2.05.00.06.10
Build/Software number: 1.47.651.1
PRI version: 1.40_003
PRL version: 60665

1) What is the best/most reliable way for me to update to 2.2? Can I use Unrevoked Forever to do so? Or do I have to use some manual method? Toast's method? ROM Manager?

*Read the sticky at the top of the thread by gbhil it walk you threw root and then you will be able to flash any rom you want.

2) I read the steps for installing on the Unrevoked site, but I don't understand the terms it uses. It says to "flash from custom recovery". First of all, how do I access this custom recovery tool or whatever? Second, some ppl said they use a ROM Manager. Other sites say to "boot into recovery". Still, some instructions say boot into Clockwork....How do these method differ? Or are they the same? Which do I use???

*when you go threw the process of root you will install a costom recovery(like clockwork or amon)

3) One post says "After you unrevoke4, you can use your custom recovery image to flash a rooted 2.2 stock rom". I dont understand. A ROM is an image...so how can I use an image to flash another image?? makes no sense =\

*The recovery img is flashed to the phone first then you can boot into recovery which let you flash a rom.

4) Is "recovery" an app/tool that is already on the phone (or needs to be downloaded), and if so how do I access it? Or is it a ROM image?
*Go threw the root guide you'll have reocvery.

5) After unrevoked is done, do I accept the OTA firmware update (i think it's the ugrade to Froyo update that keeps popping up)?
*If you want to be able to keep root don't accept any OTA.

6) Which ROM needs to be installed? The zip that Unrevoked is going to install, or HTC Stock Froyo 3.26.651.6 [Rooted][Deodex'd], or both?
* You can choose any rom you wan to install.Pick one theres plenty.
AC-Rom 2-2 is close to stock but with tweaks.

7) What is PRI and PRL and why are ppl so concerned about getting those updated? Will they get updated automatically once Frodo is installed?
*You can update thise in settings.Not really a big deal.

8) Same deal with the Wimax and Radio updates (HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers). What do they do? Why do ppl want to retain them so badly, and if they are so important, why don't the updated ROMs or OTAs have them included?
* the update from sprint does add th new radio&wimax. Usually you wan to tupdate the radio&wimax cause sprint builds its new releases with that radio in mind.So you should get better battery and signal with updating those.Its more of a choice of the user.If you want to upgrade radios or not.

9) What's the difference b/t a Nandroid backup and a Titanium backup? And which one should I do?
*nadroid backup is done in recovery.It backs up the whole set up of your phone rom and everything.
Titanium backup just backs up info.

Please help! Thanks!
Read where the* are.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site

Hope it helps..

There's plenty of people here that know or can help it just takes some time for them to get around to all the posts.Then there's some around here that just can't seem to either post something helpful or don't post nothing at all.They would rather act like they know everything or have nothing better to do but post stupied pic's. and laugh about it and then their buddy come along and waste more space by saying that was funny.
They just don't get that there is people here that do have the knowledge and we like to share it,even if it has been covered a hundred times.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Idk what other android forums you've been on but I find people here to be more helpful than on most other forums. I'm sorry that sometimes we like to have fun on here.

On to the topic. Clockwork is custom recovery. If you root than accept the OTA you will lose root. Simple root is the best way (IMO) to root. Some ROM's require NAND to bee unlocked and unrevoked doesn't do that.

NAND backup copies everything on your phone (like making a ghost image on your computer) while titanium backup only copies apps, app data, and system settings and data. You should do both. Create a NAND backup before you flash a ROM, and backup apps with titanium backup (it will make it easier to restore them after the flash).

One more thing (and I'm not trying to be mean), most of these questions have already been answered on here somewhere. There is a sticky on how to root. If you search you will find out about recovery.

I'm sure nobody meant to offend anyone with their posts but a little searching before you post will go a long way. That's how I got started with all of this (and with the help of all three great people on here).

If you think we aren't helpful copy the OP and post it on XDA and see what kind of response you get.

Edit: Sorry if I missed a question I was going from memory as I am on my phone.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk Pro

Thx for that dude... IDK why everyone is getting uptight about a pic... Seriously not that big a deal Compared to other sites this one is helpful and Fun... Whats the point of being here if we can Joke around and mess around every so offen... If this place turns into XDA that will be a real Shame... We are def nothing like the Flaming over there... and at least here we eventually get back to our original point...

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Thx for that dude... IDK why everyone is getting uptight about a pic... Seriously not that big a deal Compared to other sites this one is helpful and Fun... Whats the point of being here if we can Joke around and mess around every so offen... If this place turns into XDA that will be a real Shame... We are def nothing like the Flaming over there... and at least here we eventually get back to our original point...

Amen.

AndroidAddict

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the middle. It was off topic and did not help the op, But it was funny as hell. I clicked the link hoping to post something clever about Frodo but I was on my phone and didnt know how to put a picture in. I did although help with the thread with the little knowledge I had to share.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1