Need vanilla phone app. Hate the swipe up / down on incoming call.

cody

May 16, 2010
Visit site
There is only one thing driving me crazy with the evo. If I can't over come it, I am selling it.

My pocket has thin enough material that when the phone is ringing, just pulling it out of my pocket ends up hanging up on people before I can answer it. I have tried putting my phone in my pocket upside down, but that just auto answers calls. I have put it in my pocket with the screen out only to find my hand reaching into pocket while its ringing answers or hangar up calls. I like full touch screen except for the incoming call screen.

I have searched and found very little other than others having the same problem. Mostly while driving down the road and not wanting to swipe at all.

Bottom line... I need to figure a way to remove the Sence phone app and get the vanilla phone app. I think this is what its called. I want to have to swipe a small object sideways to answer instead of swipe such a large object up or down.

I see that this phone app is in the cyanogen mod ROM, but I haven't seen it anywhere else. I have seen the lock vanilla lock screen, but I want the vanilla call screen. I didn't like the cyanogen Rom because I listen to tm radio, use 4th, and what not.

Thanks for any help. Cody

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused, do you just need the vanilla unlock/answer calls screen? If your phone is rooted, put in a request in the themes page, and beezy and Sprintgirl will put something together for you.

Or theres an app in the market that lets you make those changes. If i track it down i'll send you the link.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Easy peasy lemon breezy ..... can i assume you're rooted since this is in the hacks section?

Delete the file HtcLockScreen.apk from system/app. Then reboot. This can be achieved with root explorer, which can be found in the market. You also need NAND unlocked. This will give you the vanilla lock screen (horizontal slider). What i will warn you though is that this will not allow you to dismiss an alarm so if you use your phone as your alarm, this is might not be the best way for you because you will need to shut your phone off to turn off the alarm.

P.S. I remember you from my treo pro days ;)

cody

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused, do you just need the vanilla unlock/answer calls screen? If your phone is rooted, put in a request in the themes page, and beezy and Sprintgirl will put something together for you.

Or theres an app in the market that lets you make those changes. If i track it down i'll send you the link.

Yes, I am rooted.

Yes, i just want the incoming call screen changed. didn't know this was a theme thing. I don't care much for themes anymore, but if this is all i take.... hmm maybe i should check into it.

Thanks.

is this where you're talking themes?

Links could be cool

Last edited:

cody

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Easy peasy lemon breezy ..... can i assume you're rooted since this is in the hacks section?

Delete the file HtcLockScreen.apk from system/app. Then reboot. This can be achieved with root explorer, which can be found in the market. You also need NAND unlocked. This will give you the vanilla lock screen (horizontal slider). What i will warn you though is that this will not allow you to dismiss an alarm so if you use your phone as your alarm, this is might not be the best way for you because you will need to shut your phone off to turn off the alarm.

P.S. I remember you from my treo pro days ;)

i tried all that a few weeks ago. seems to be able to remove only the lock screen. i found post where there were 3 files to remove to remove sence, but the incoming call screen wasn't changed. I don't know if it sence overlaid on to the vanilla or a total replacement.

hmmm, treo pro days. i've been playing since the ppc6700 days, treo 700wx and treo pro was fun devices though.

Thanks, Cody

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i tried all that a few weeks ago. seems to be able to remove only the lock screen. i found post where there were 3 files to remove to remove sence, but the incoming call screen wasn't changed. I don't know if it sence overlaid on to the vanilla or a total replacement.

oh geeze I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I get it now. Let me see what can be figured out.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
alright well i have good and bad news. The good news is its possible, you just need to an AOSP ROM to do it. The lockscreen you dislike is part of phone.apk in the Sense ROM's. I just tried replacing phone.apk with an AOSP version and it didn't work. So if you want Sense, you need that phone answer screen. If you dislike that answer screen, you can ditch sense and go with an AOSP ROM (Cyanogenmod).

Hope this helps.

EDIT- It's not impossible to get the AOSP phone.apk to work with sense but it would take a pretty good time investment and due to my job and existing involvement with Android projects i cant take this on. You may want to post a bounty and see if someone picks it up.

Last edited:

cody

May 16, 2010
Visit site
cyanogen mon rom cant do a lot of things i want to do...

save email attachments to sd card
4g
fm radio
keyboard with cursor arrows

bummer, and thats the only aosp rom available.

Thanks though.

anyone else?

sakasune

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
alright well i have good and bad news. The good news is its possible, you just need to an AOSP ROM to do it. The lockscreen you dislike is part of phone.apk in the Sense ROM's. I just tried replacing phone.apk with an AOSP version and it didn't work. So if you want Sense, you need that phone answer screen. If you dislike that answer screen, you can ditch sense and go with an AOSP ROM (Cyanogenmod).

Hope this helps.

EDIT- It's not impossible to get the AOSP phone.apk to work with sense but it would take a pretty good time investment and due to my job and existing involvement with Android projects i cant take this on. You may want to post a bounty and see if someone picks it up.

What if you're running rooted stock (2.2) but using a different home launcher (ADW) or does that not matter because Sense is still there, deep down in the system?

spreng37

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Why not just use WidgetLocker. IIRC, it has the ability to display the call answer/ignore screen 'under' the lock screen, meaning you have to unlock the screen before you can answer or ignore a call.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer