[How to] Rooting HTC EVO Froyo 2.2 (Windows)

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Disclaimer: Please note that the instructions 1-12 will give you a rootable version of android 2.1 (Eclair).
I have provided links to the methods of which to root 2.1 after you have completed the downgrade.

All thanks and credit needs to go to the fine folks at XDA and the ones listed in the original post HERE

I am NOT responsible for any damages (bricking, not working, basically anything Xthat goes wrong) This has been tested and works.

The below is paraphrased directly from xda, with some explainations. Also I did not want to post anything using the unrevoked forever method, as it is not required for this root.

If you catch something I missed please let me know.

Pre-Installation Information.
  • 1. Please read all of the instructions completely and thoroughly.
  • 2. The method described below will downgrade you to a previous version of android, for which root methods are available.
  • 3. As I did not come up with this method, I will not be directly offering support, If i catch something i can answer i will try. Please voice all of your questions twords the original post at XDA, HERE

Files you need to download and or install prior to installation.
  • The Andoid SDK [Download and Install, see "Step 1:"] Link
  • HTC Sync [Download and Install] Link
    -If your computer asks you to restart after the new drivers were installed, do that now.
  • regaw_leinad's evo-root.zip file. [Download] Link
  • PC36IMG.zip [Download] Link

Instructions.

Follow Along Video Thanks to BigRick10 for the find!

Step 1: Extract the Android SDK zip. Move the contents of the extracted zip to C:\
Your Android tools folder path should now be C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

Step 2: Unzip the contents of the evo-root.zip to your android sdk tools folder. It contains a few files necessary to root the EVO.

Step 3: Put the PC36IMG.zip folder in your adroid sdk tools folder. Leave it as a zip, not extracted.

Step 4: Make sure USB Debugging is ON (checked) on your EVO. Go to Settings > Applications > Development > and make sure it is checked.

Step 5: Plug your phone into the computer via USB, Make sure that the connection type in the Notification Pull-Down Bar is "Charge Only", not "Disk Drive" or else this won't work.

Step 6:Once ready, type these commands in cmd prompt from your adb tools directory.
-To access this directory, open your command promt, type in:

Code:
cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools.

Code:
adb push flash_image /data/local/
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/
adb push mtd-eng.img /sdcard/
adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/

This will put the files listed above on your sd card.
-Note: the PC36IMG.zip will take longer than expected to transfer to the sdcard. It is a BIG file.

Now we chmod a few things

Code:
adb shell
chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image

Step 7: Ok now for the root shell.

(still in adb shell)

Code:
cd /data/local/tmp

Code:
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

You will now see some text on your cmd prompt screen explaining the exploit.

Step 8: Wait for the adb shell to go away, and it will dump you into your windows command prompt again (no shell) should look something like this:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>

If it dumps you to a $ instead, repeat those 2 commands again and try toggling airplane mode.

Step 9: Once that dumps you out of the shell, type
Code:
adb shell

and you will see you now have a
Code:
#

Instead of a
Code:
$

Step 10:
Code:
cd /data/local
./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

-That will flash your misc partition with Toast's mtd-eng.img.

This should return you to a blank line with #.

If you get an "Out of memory error" with a huge list of weird lines, here's how to fix it.

Reboot your phone normally.
Open] a command prompt and go backwards in this guide until you see the big red * and start from there.

Step 11: Once it is flashed correctly, move on:

Type

Code:
reboot bootloader

Remember how you pushed that huge PC36IMG.zip to your sdcard earlier? This is where that comes in handy. Once you booted into hboot, Select "bootloader" with your volume up/down buttons and hit the power button. Let it sit for a little bit while it loads the PC36IMG.zip. This can take up to 5 minutes. When it finally asks if you want to apply this zip, choose YES. (Remember, this is the same as running an RUU, so it will delete all of your user data).

Once it is finished, select restart.

You now are on the stock 2.1 build of Android! (Read: nice friendly rootable build of android)

Step 12: Now that you are back to 2.1, you Should be able to use any 2.1 w/ OTA root method you wish. I have listed those methods bellow.

Before rooting I recommend deleting the files that were pushed to your sd card in "Step 6:".

2.1 w/ OTA rooting methods.
Unrevoked
Simple Root
Link The original by SteelH of XDA

I strongly recommend that you should immediately install a rooted 2.2 stock rom. HERE at XDA

And do a nandroid backup.

Then go about flashing to your hearts content.

Personal Side Note:

You should really understand what your doing when you press a button.
As i told my brother when he jail broke his Iphone 4, there's no magic "root or stock" switch in your phone.

Pressing the button that says "Root" Doesn't flip that nonexistent switch. There is actually a lot of coding, and commands that are put in for you, and could potentially be malicious. But all that aside, by using a one click method you don't learn what goes on behind the scenes. If you pushed your files, and installed through the boot loader, and flashed a recovery through adb, like every who rooted their phone the long way, then problems like the one addressed in this thread wouldn't be here.

I'll admit that I've mistakingly suggested the use of these one click methods, mostly because I've been too lazy to go through the motions oh helping people do it the long way. That being said 90% of all the threads and issues people are having, are from people who are using one click methods.

Keep this in mind. You can still use simpleroot or unrevoked. But at least search for and read the thread entitled "[How to] Windows-- Full root and install recovery" by the great gbhil. And then read the thread over at XDA regarding rooting via flash exploit if you've installed any OTA.

All of the guides are specific, step by step, and if followed correctly give you the root your looking for. However even more valuable than that root, is that they teach you how to troubleshoot many of your basic issues yourself.

And then stop installing OTA's! Every time users install and OTA, people come back and whine about how they cant get back to root. Despite the fact that they were warned many times over that this would happen. One fine day there will be an update or a new OS that we wont be able to root. Or that it will be so difficult that you wouldn't even want to. (See why using other peoples one clicks can be bad above.) So learn to stop installing OTA's

Lastly, Use your search button and follow the form rules. These forums are here to help, that doesn't mean we wont give you a hard time about asking something that has been answered at length before.

Last edited by a moderator:

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
don't forget. it isn't just any 2.1 root 'cause there are two. i believe it's the root method for the 1.47 OTA update. yes?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
don't forget. it isn't just any 2.1 root 'cause there are two. i believe it's the root method for the 1.47 OTA update. yes?

Thanks post corrected.

But i believe exploit still works with the original 2.1 as well. So i didn't bother posting multiple rooting guides for 2.1, since we should know how to root that one by now.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
hey, guys -- don't forget that you don't have to use adb push. instead just plug your phone into your computer and mount it as a drive and then drag and drop the files on you sdcard. just don't forget that some of the files don't go into a folder. and then don't forget to unmount the phone and set it back to charge only. if you don't set it back then you won't be able to run the other adb commands.

Code:
adb push flash_image /data/local/
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/

alright, those two files do go into a folder. that folder is the data/local (on the phone -- not the card)for the flash_image
and
data/local/tmp (on the phone -- not the card) for the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
hey, guys -- don't forget that you don't have to use adb push. instead just plug your phone into your computer and mount it as a drive and then drag and drop the files on you sdcard. just don't forget that some of the files don't go into a folder. and then don't forget to unmount the phone and set it back to charge only. if you don't set it back then you won't be able to run the other adb commands.

Though be careful, in the past i have had issues simply moving the files there. Pushing always works ;)

Last edited:

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Though be careful, in the past i have had issues simply moving the files there. Pushing always works

you should definitely elaborate and maybe folks will find a solution to their problems before they even have 'em.

i will start:

if you drag and drop instead of using adb push then people tend to forget to unmount their phone as a drive and set their USB connection back to charge only. (done it) when you forget then your SDcard isn't mounted by your phone and your phone won't read your SDcard and run the commands to flash the flash_image and what not.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
^ yes,

But also, for whatever reason, my evo has givin me errors when i try to flash or install zips that just drag and drop to the sd card. However adb push works every time.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
^ yes,

But also, for whatever reason, my evo has givin me errors when i try to flash or install zips that just drag and drop to the sd card. However adb push works every time.

i always have a problem trying to use the adb commands with long directories. especially push.

bluediablito

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
ok i know this might sound stupid but i do not know what to do next

so i have rooted my evo froyo 2.2 with the steps to downgrade it and then use simple root to fully root it.
what should i do next be for i install a rom?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
ok i know this might sound stupid but i do not know what to do next

so i have rooted my evo froyo 2.2 with the steps to downgrade it and then use simple root to fully root it.
what should i do next be for i install a rom?

you should immediately install a rooted 2.2 stock rom. HERE at XDA

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
you should immediately install a rooted 2.2 stock rom. HERE at XDA

I'm putting my Flamesuit on for my next question....

What exactly does nandroid backup and what exactly does it do. Obviously it's a backup lol, but what exactly is it backing up?

**hides under a rock**

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm putting my Flamesuit on for my next question....

What exactly does nandroid backup and what exactly does it do. Obviously it's a backup lol, but what exactly is it backing up?

**hides under a rock**

no worries, i give you props for trying to root using this method without knowing what a nandroid backup is.

It makes an exact image back up of your phone. So if you were to restore it it will return your phone to that point in time, restoring all of your apps, data, ect.

bluediablito

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
hey thanks liquidjesus
so just to follow your steps
1. i root (simple root)
2. Flash a rooted 2.2 stock rom (deodexed stock ROM or Odexed Stock) (does .....it matter?)
3. Make nandroid backup (is this how to make it?)
...1 Turn your phone off.
...2 Hold Home, press Power button to boot into Recovery Mode
...3 Press ALT+B to start the backup.
...4 Once the backup has completed press Home + Back
4. flash a new rom of choice

please feel free to suggest different if i miss something.
also i hear people install titanium backup and clockworth ???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo