[How to] Rooting HTC EVO Froyo 2.2 (Windows)

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
no worries, i give you props for trying to root using this method without knowing what a nandroid backup is.

It makes an exact image back up of your phone. So if you were to restore it it will return your phone to that point in time, restoring all of your apps, data, ect.

:\ I'm a noob with this rooting and custom ROM stuff. Is this something that a someone with no experience with rooting shouldn't be getting into?

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
:\ I'm a noob with this rooting and custom ROM stuff. Is this something that a someone with no experience with rooting shouldn't be getting into?

Depends how persistent you are and how bad you want Root... but its not that bad... I went thru alot worse...

Alterationx10

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Greetings everyone. I'd just like to mention that I applied the root method today and it went fine. However, upon flashing the "Stock" rooted 2.2 Froyo OTA ROM from the XDA thread mentioned earlier, my phone went into an infinite boot loop of the Sprint/4G start-up. I did a factory-reset from the Android bootloader menu ("clear data" was the option, I believe), and then it worked on the next boot. Just thought I'd mention it here in case someone else ran into that problem.

Ky1e.YC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Sweet, anyone had it tried?

Nv mind, too excited to finish the whole thread. I will root my 2.2 soon. FINALLY....

Last edited:

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Greetings everyone. I'd just like to mention that I applied the root method today and it went fine. However, upon flashing the "Stock" rooted 2.2 Froyo OTA ROM from the XDA thread mentioned earlier, my phone went into an infinite boot loop of the Sprint/4G start-up. I did a factory-reset from the Android bootloader menu ("clear data" was the option, I believe), and then it worked on the next boot. Just thought I'd mention it here in case someone else ran into that problem.

yes, boot loops are because you didn't do a wipe of the dalvik cache and the like before you flashed your ROM.

bluediablito

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
how long does pc36img.zip takes to push?
can i grab all 4 files and dump them on my sd card directories?
and i notice that when ever i push the 4 files other than the pc36 taking for ever i cant find the data folder were the other 2 files are so post to be place........... any idea or any help will be appreciated...

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
how long does pc36img.zip takes to push?
can i grab all 4 files and dump them on my sd card directories?
and i notice that when ever i push the 4 files other than the pc36 taking for ever i cant find the data folder were the other 2 files are so post to be place........... any idea or any help will be appreciated...

the other folders are on the phone and not the sdcard. the .bin file and the image file go on the phone and the others go onto the root of the sdcard. ummm, it think there is a post on the first page about this. maybe second.

it's the 6th post.

bluediablito

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
so something is not going the way its should.....
after doing everything and hitting reboot on the cm
phone boots into hboot but loads the pc36 and it say update fail
main version is older

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
so something is not going the way its should.....
after doing everything and hitting reboot on the cm
phone boots into hboot but loads the pc36 and it say update fail
main version is older

it will tell you this if you haven't loaded the image correctly. have you made certain that steps 7-10 were done successfully?

bluediablito

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
so this is what i am doing lol and i guess i am doing it wrong...... no matter if i think i am following it to the t lol
i copy the 2 files to the sd card zip and the image
run the command prom as administrate and copy the other 2 files to the phone no error.... (adb push flash_image /data/local/
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/)

now these lines i enter them line by line
"adb shell
chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image"

(now the phone goes into sleep mode)

again i enter lines one by one and no error
"cd /data/local/tmp
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin"

now i enter wireless setup and toggle on and off airplane mode,,,,, and on the cm i see "if you like what we are doind... we also acept donation 1000 usd!

adb connection will be reset

i see #

and then i do the last steps and it reboots to hboot and it gives me that message that its older.........

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
alright, you didn't put in your post the following steps:

Code:
cd /data/local
./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

you need this part or you will get the error you are getting. did you omit it in your post or in the process?

bluediablito

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
UTnick
yes i did left it out but i put it in the command....
the reason why i left it out is bc i notice that when ever i get the error in the hboot it ask me to reboot and i hit yest for the past 2 times this time i hit no and it did the same search on the sd card and it ask me to update lol
thank you for your help (just wondering firmware say 2.1-update 1 is that the correct downgrade?)

now i am going yo use simpleroot
any tips ?

Last edited:

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
i believe my confusion set you back some time. my bad for that. and on simple root -- i must i admit i have never used it. i was rooted before it came out. as far as i know it is pretty straight forward, though.

Luce

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Used Simpleroot for the first time today. It is VERY easy. Just make sure you follow the directions in the command windows.

bluediablito

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
thanks once again UTnick
just a few more question
i just installed clockwork and i have hit nandroid backup (its baking up to the cd card. was this a smart idea even do i have not flash any rom?)

Last edited:

Luce

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
thanks once again UTnick
just a few more question
i just installed clockwork and i have hit nandroid backup (its baking up to the cd card. was this a smart idea even do i have not flash any rom?)

I know this was directed at UTnick but I figured id give my opinion as well.

Yes. Smart idea. After I get my phone all setup and configured the way I like it I make a Nandroid backup. If anything starts acting funky I can wipe phone and restore from that.

Always a good idea to back up your stuff.