[How to] Rooting HTC EVO Froyo 2.2 (Windows)

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I'm stuck. I did the SimpleRoot and now it's asking me to chose between clockwork or ra_recovery. Which do I chose???

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Simple root gives you a stock rooted 2.1, you will need to flash a custom Rom to get the super user app your looking for. Or download it from the market.

The easiest way to check if you have root is to download a terminal emulator from the market and type in : Su, if it gives you a # your good to go.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Which do I chose though? I haven't actually finished the Simple Root. I clicked on ROOT then step two makes you chose between Clockwork or RA_Recovery. Do I click on clockwork or RA_recovery for now? I do have a ROM picked out (the one d3xn2o is using) but I have NO idea how to actually install a custom ROM

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Which do I chose though? I haven't actually finished the Simple Root. I clicked on ROOT then step two makes you chose between Clockwork or RA_Recovery. Do I click on clockwork or RA_recovery for now? I do have a ROM picked out (the one d3xn2o is using) but I have NO idea how to actually install a custom ROM

i personally like clockwork, but either will do.

After you install the recovery, please download the stock rooted 2.2, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=743781
Boot into recovery mode and flash that zip.

Then reboot into recovery and make a back up.

After that install any rom you like.

Luce

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

I would chose RA. from what I have read it works slightly beret than clock work.

Lj Beats me to the punch.

webby_s#AC

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I searched this whole thread (and this has kept up this long) But I get
Code:
chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image: no such file or directory

That is I think step 7 or 8?

Thoughts?

I am not dumb, I've rooted other systems before, and I am following this to the letter, what could I be doing wrong?

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I searched this whole thread (and this has kept up this long) But I get
Code:
chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image: no such file or directory

That is I think step 7 or 8?

Thoughts?

Hmmm, did you make sure you adb pushed it correctly earlier?

doctorx

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey all. I successfully used the methods posted here and on XDA to downgrade to 2.1 and start to root from there. Thanks UTnick for your help in the other thread. I managed to solve the exclamation sign.

So far, I have installed:

* [Recovery] Amon RA recovery v1.7.0.2
* [ROM] SteelH's HTC Froyo 2.2 Rev E.2 LINK
* [Kernel] netarchy's toastmod v4.1.8 LINK
* [Radio] EVO Radio v2.15.00.07.28 and EVO WiMAX 26023 R01 LINK

So far, so good. Everything I have tested works. The kernel did made it much faster than the stock one, also FPS uncapped. It feels like a mayor OS upgrade from the stock OTA 2.2. I will be testing everything all day long.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey all. I successfully used the methods posted here and on XDA to downgrade to 2.1 and start to root from there. Thanks UTnick for your help in the other thread. I managed to solve the exclamation sign.

So far, I have installed:

* [Recovery] Amon RA recovery v1.7.0.2
* [ROM] SteelH's HTC Froyo 2.2 Rev E.2 LINK
* [Kernel] netarchy's toastmod v4.1.8 LINK
* [Radio] EVO Radio v2.15.00.07.28 and EVO WiMAX 26023 R01 LINK

So far, so good. Everything I have tested works. The kernel did made it much faster than the stock one, also FPS uncapped. It feels like a mayor OS upgrade from the stock OTA 2.2. I will be testing everything all day long.

Personally Im a Fan of Clockwork.... Rom Manager + Clockwork = :D

doctorx

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Personally Im a Fan of Clockwork.... Rom Manager + Clockwork = :D

Well... I went on the RA one because of so many people complaining one thing or another about Clockwork (cache wiping and such). And I'm not gonna be flashing a new ROM every day so... I guess for my needs, RA does the job. :)

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well... I went on the RA one because of so many people complaining one thing or another about Clockwork (cache wiping and such). And I'm not gonna be flashing a new ROM every day so... I guess for my needs, RA does the job. :)

That will do pig that will do... :cool: