[How to] Rooting HTC EVO Froyo 2.2 (Windows)

shin.andy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Omfg finally

Wow it's finally over....

I rooted and I'm currently installing my Warm twoPointtwo RLS 1...
Thanks for all the help!

shin.andy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
damn

LOL DAMN IT!

I just finished with the RLS1, can I just reflash the rom?
I read that you can't uninstall the rom, but can I just flash over it?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
When you flash a rom it automatically overrides the one you have. What it doesnt automatically over ride, is your personal data like apps, contacts, cache blah blah blah. So thats why you wipe and flash.

shin.andy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
thanks!

This is officially day one for being rooted on my evo!
I have a few questions though..

1. I like warm two.two rls4 but sometimes it's so laggy.
Can I fix this or should I just not worry about it because
It's still sense?
2. Where is my Sprint navigation lol?! I tried to download
It off the Tele nav site but It's only a trial.
3. The clock on the desktop is cool but when I press the
Clock the clock app doesn't show. The weather button
Still works though.
4. My reception got worse after rooting...
I'm currently at work and I have one bar when I usually
Had three bars unrooted. Please help.
5. Flash 10.1 app doesn't work... I can't download it.

Thanks for the help especially igotevo. You helped me root in
One day man! I'll keep asking more noob questions later!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It shouldn't be laggy.. maybe a wipe and reflash?

use Google navigation instead?

Its an animated flip clock, that's why it doesn't open the clock. And I've never heard of or had reception issues.

Reactions: shin.andy

derik123derik123

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm following http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...34-how-rooting-htc-evo-froyo-2-2-windows.html
and I get to the part of flashing toasts thing...

I get the out of memory error.. alot of them..

So i restart as he said... I try it again starying at the *

I get this..
2dtym42.jpg

He says if you get and "out of memory error" to reboot and then he says..
If you get an "Out of memory error" with a huge list of weird lines, here's how to fix it.

Reboot your phone normally.
Open] a command prompt and go backwards in this guide until you see the big red * and start from there.

does he mean to restart... then do all the commands backwards? go from bottom to top?

thanks.

Statecowboy

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Step 8: Wait for the adb shell to go away, and it will dump you into your windows command prompt again (no shell) should look something like this:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>

If it dumps you to a $ instead, repeat those 2 commands again and try toggling airplane mode.

Long time lurker, decided to try rooting for S's and giggles.

Anyway, I get to this step and get stuck. It seems like my phone disconnects and when I adb devices it doesnt see it any more. Any ideas?

Also - I saw this exact same how to guide on another site with the label OUTDATED. Am I doing something I shouldnt here?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Long time lurker, decided to try rooting for S's and giggles.

Anyway, I get to this step and get stuck. It seems like my phone disconnects and when I adb devices it doesnt see it any more. Any ideas?

Also - I saw this exact same how to guide on another site with the label OUTDATED. Am I doing something I shouldnt here?

What is your hboot #?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

wallaceb

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Greetings...
I have had my EVO for about 4 months and desire to root it and install a new ROM. It is running Android 2.2 and has the latest Sprint OTA that was released a earlier this month.

Before i do i want to verify something.

I originally started looking at this page: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-your-htc-evo-install-clockwork-recovery.html

I noticed at the end of that thread it says the following
These instructions are depreciated. Currently there is no root method for 2.2 on the Evo, and we're working on a new sticky post to discuss the issue.

I'm closing this, but leaving it for posterity.

I also noticed that this thread says the following:

You now are on the stock 2.1 build of Android! (Read: nice friendly rootable build of android)

Step 12: Now that you are back to 2.1, you Should be able to use any 2.1 w/ OTA root method you wish. I have listed those methods bellow.

Correct me if i am wrong, but because my phone is running version 2.2, i MUST follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread FIRST so that my phone is running version 2.1.

Then, once my phone is running version 2.1, i can use the instructions in the original thread i linked to http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-your-htc-evo-install-clockwork-recovery.html to install the ROM i desire.

PS, the ROM i desire to use is found here: Download: Fresh Evo 3.5.0.1 (New OTA)

THANKS!

EDIT:

Ok... i have been reading more, and found the following:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=838448

it looks like this should work to allow me to root my phone. Then once my phone is rooted, i should be able to install the rom i desire linked above.

It would be great f someone can verify this for me :)

Last edited:

ckc90745

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
hi everybody, i get as far as ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin then it dumps me back in to android/android-sdk-windows/tools i then type adb shell and it comes back telling me "error device not found", however i am able to temporary root my phone using z4root, could you tell me what am i doing wrong, thanks in advance for your helph.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Greetings...
I have had my EVO for about 4 months and desire to root it and install a new ROM. It is running Android 2.2 and has the latest Sprint OTA that was released a earlier this month.

Before i do i want to verify something.

I originally started looking at this page: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-your-htc-evo-install-clockwork-recovery.html

I noticed at the end of that thread it says the following

I also noticed that this thread says the following:

Correct me if i am wrong, but because my phone is running version 2.2, i MUST follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread FIRST so that my phone is running version 2.1.

Then, once my phone is running version 2.1, i can use the instructions in the original thread i linked to http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-your-htc-evo-install-clockwork-recovery.html to install the ROM i desire.

PS, the ROM i desire to use is found here: Download: Fresh Evo 3.5.0.1 (New OTA)

THANKS!

EDIT:

Ok... i have been reading more, and found the following:
[ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v1.9.4 (12/22/10) - xda-developers

it looks like this should work to allow me to root my phone. Then once my phone is rooted, i should be able to install the rom i desire linked above.

It would be great f someone can verify this for me :)

Verified. Goodluck, dont be shy if you have problems ;)

Im guessing you have the 2.02 hboot or the 2.10, please check before diving in though.

hi everybody, i get as far as ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin then it dumps me back in to android/android-sdk-windows/tools i then type adb shell and it comes back telling me "error device not found", however i am able to temporary root my phone using z4root, could you tell me what am i doing wrong, thanks in advance for your helph.

Z4 uses the rageagainstthecage exploit also, so if you can do that...

[GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G Outdated - xda-developers This is the original guide, try that.

Have you tried adb kill-server

then adb start-server